Car recommends 5W-30 outside US and Canada vs 0W-20. Run 5W-30 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running 0W-40 in a toyota that calls for 0w-16 in a cold state.

Has not blown up yet.
Greetings! (🖐️-wave)
It's not that it will blow up, it's just not optimal I guess! But, I don't disagree with you! (y)
I've been very curious about this myself. Can we use a heavier oil in an engine that requires a 0W16?

All of the Toyota's that I've driven recently that require 0W16 oil, was a noisy engine(upon acceleration) and I was curious if a thicker oil would quiet them down. :unsure:

Have you noticed any difference, or didn't you think your engine was noise to begin with?
My BIL has a 2018 Camry 2.5 XLE and is on his 3rd or 4th Camry.

IMO, recent Toyota 4 cyl's are noisy(er). When if fact, Toyota 4 cyl's used to be a model of smooth & quiet operation.

Last edited:
All of the Toyota's that I've driven recently that require 0W16 oil, was a noisy engine(upon acceleration) and I was curious if a thicker oil would quiet them down. :unsure:
It sure did mine. I drained the 0W-16 out of it when it had only 450 miles on the clock. I replaced it with 0W-20 and noticed an immediate improvement in how quiet it was when idling at operating temperature.

After that I switched to 0W-30, and it now runs unbelievably quiet. Next Summer I'm going to go to Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula. For the cooler Winter months, I'll stick to the 0W-30. But my engine will NEVER see 0W-16 again.

IIRC, "The Car Care Nut"(Toyota Master Tech) on YouTube says that the oil pumps in Toyota engines that require a 0W16, are specifically programmed to operate on 0W16 and we should not use a heavier oil. He also says that Toyota's 10,000 mile OCI is BS and he explains why!

IIRC, "The Car Care Nut"(Toyota Master Tech) on YouTube says that the oil pumps in Toyota engines that require a 0W16, are specifically programmed to operate on 0W16 and we should not use a heavier oil. He also says that Toyota's 10,000 mile OCI is BS and he explains why!
The same owner's manual that says it's OK to use a 0W-20, and to use a higher viscosity for more extreme use conditions. If the engine and oil pump was so sensitive to oil viscosity, the OM wouldn't say what it does.

Not this again. This is the biggest amount of garbage I think we’ve seen on here.

Edit. In before "But it's more worn out than if you had run xW30." which per the standard link to the HTHS graph someone always shares is true. Ford really pulled one over on me I guess.
CAFE pulled one over Ford since they are going back to 5W-30 on some engines previously specifying 5W-20, lol. Why would Ford do such a thing and give up all those CAFE credit dollars?

The same owner's manual that says it's OK to use a 0W-20, and to use a higher viscosity for more extreme use conditions. If the engine and oil pump was so sensitive to oil viscosity, the OM wouldn't say what it does.
Not only that. But what would happen if said engine had a crankcase full of 0W-16 in Fairbanks, Alaska in January, with a morning temp of -45F?

0W-16 in -45F temps is going to have a much higher start up viscosity, than a crankcase full of 0W-40 in Miami on a 75F morning.

It sure did mine. I drained the 0W-16 out of it when it had only 450 miles on the clock. I replaced it with 0W-20 and noticed an immediate improvement in how quiet it was when idling at operating temperature.

After that I switched to 0W-30, and it now runs unbelievably quiet. Next Summer I'm going to go to Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula. For the cooler Winter months, I'll stick to the 0W-30. But my engine will NEVER see 0W-16 again.
I wonder if noise is proportional to engine wear in those engines. The less noise they make, the less engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back