Does anyone run 5w30 in new Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Nary a peep in the owner's manual or warranty booklet that the new car warranty is predicated on oil grade.
Nope, you are totally wrong. Anything other than 0W-20 is forbidden because Honda only specifies 0W-20.
2019 Civic Warranty booklet (came with the car):
"The warranties in this booklet do not cover: • The failure of any part or accessory due to: - Abuse, misuse, accidental damage, or acts of nature. - Improper installation or maintenance. - A low fluid level or the use of a fluid other than specified by Honda."

Owners Manual:
"...oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature as shown."
A snippet of said owners manual is provided below and verifies "as shown" is only 0W-20.

Screenshot 2019 Civic Owners Manual.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019 Civic Owners Manual.jpg
    Screenshot 2019 Civic Owners Manual.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 68
We had a long thread on this subject a while back, and as your post shows above there is no statement that declares the oil grade is a condition of the new-car warranty. An oil that causes harm will violate the warranty, therefore using a grade that is lower than the one listed could indeed be an issue. But no higher grade is going to cause harm.

People are really misinformed on this and lots of misplaced fear surrounds the topic. One wonders if that's the ultimate intent of the wording that a CAFE award letter requires of the automaker. If so then they have succeeded.

My Honda noted 0w20 in the manual. But at the dealership they used 5w20 and you were given an option at a higher cost to go with 0w20 instead. If you didn't pay more you got the 5w20.

Nope, you are totally wrong. Anything other than 0W-20 is forbidden because Honda only specifies 0W-20.
"The warranties in this booklet do not cover: • The failure of any part or accessory due to: - Abuse, misuse, accidental damage, or acts of nature. - Improper installation or maintenance. - A low fluid level or the use of a fluid other than specified by Honda."

Owners Manual:
A snippet of said owners manual is provided below and verifies "as shown" is only 0W-20.

View attachment 93670
Nothing in that shows you must use 0W-20, at the temperature range shown other grades would also be suitable

It helps when you understand that grades are recommendations, not requirements despite the fear-inducing language that the automaker is required to place in their owner's manual in accordance with their CAFE award letter.
Yep ... I'm still waiting to read an owner's manual were it says the warrantly will be void if a different viscosity is used than the recommended one.

Wrong answer. If the book states you must use 5w30, 0w20, 15w40, etc. only, that's it. That **** ain't a suggestion.
Were does any ower's manual say it "must" be used ... meaning "required" and not "recommended"?

Owners Manual:

View attachment 93670
Just another way to fool people into not using a thicker oil. The use of the words: "... the use of a fluid other than specified by Honda." is pretty nebulous. If Honda didn't want someone using a viscosity besides 0W-20 they would say so right in the oil section of the OM ... not buried in some nebulous statement in a warranty booklet that nobody reads.

"oil of suitable viscosity" ... does not lock it down to just 0W-20, but 0W-20 is "suitable" per Honda. It does not say "oil of required viscosity".

Last edited:
it's all I run, for my 12 civic, and my 19 2.0 T accord, 11 ranger, 95 4runner. all get 5/30..
there is ZERO difference in mpg's from 0/20 to the 5/30, I test this on several occasions and never saw a difference. so from around the 25K miles mark they all get on grade oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back