Toyota put 0W20 in my 4Runner instead of 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used 2005 Toyota 4Runner with 101,000 miles. The dealership I purchased it from did an oil change with M1 Full Synthetic 5W30. I drove ~4500 miles on it, and decided it was time to bring it into Toyota for an oil change. I wasn't 100% positive the dealership actually put full synthetic in prior to my purchase, so I did not want to take it much longer than 4-5K miles.

I brought my 4Runner to my local Toyota dealership yesterday and asked for a full synthetic oil change. I did not specify which weight of oil I wanted because I assumed they would put what the manufacturer recommends (5W30 as labeled on both the oil cap and in the manual). Once the work was done, I checked my receipt and noticed that they used their own 0W20. I immediately asked the service advisor why they used this oil in my vehicle, and he was initially unsure. He went and talked to a couple of people, and informed me that since I requested full synthetic, that is the weight of oil they use. Had I requested a conventional oil, they would have used 5W30. I went back and forth with him for a few minutes trying to get an explanation as to what the reason was, and he didn't have an answer. He just said that is what they have been using, and that despite the thinner oil, I should still have it changed at 5K miles. I called Toyota Corporate when I got home, and they told me to use nothing but 5W30 as stated in my owners manual. Now I have conflicting information from Toyota Corporate and my local dealership ...

Now I'm a bit concerned for 2 reasons. First and foremost, is this oil too thin for my vehicle or will it still provide enough protection? I live in Florida and the coldest weather I'll start my car in is 40-50 degrees in the winter, but for most of the year, I'm in 90-100 degree weather. I drive 90% highway at high speeds (~75 MPH). My second concern is leaks due to the age of my engine (100K+ miles) and the thin oil. I've heard that thin synthetic oils can spring leaks in older engines with high miles - not sure if this is true or a myth?

Should I be concerned? The dealership stood by their decision to use this oil and they didn't seem too interested in discussing it further with me. My advisor simply told me not to worry about it and that it would be fine.

Thanks.

KABOOM!!!

... just kidding. The engine will be fine. Just get it changed out a little earlier next time if it bothers you too much.

Also, the ambient temperature is only relevant when it is really cold. Like, negative Fahrenheit cold. Engines are designed to run at operating temperatures over 200 degrees Fahrenheit, so it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside.

Last edited:
I'd bring it back and have them put the 5W30 it calls for in. With 100K+ miles on it and the Florida summer heat you might burn some of that 0W20 oil they put in.

With regard to their reason for using 0W20, they should have told you before the oil was changed not after. Not having 5W30 synthetic in stock, or being able to make a call and get it, give me a break.

Will it hurt your engine? No, but that doesn't mean what they did was right either.

I'd change it, but not in a rush, nor at that dealer. IMO they don't have their stuff together. Put a few miles onto it, 3k at least, make sure there isn't anything amiss (it's used, afterall), then think about changing the oil to your preferred 5W30 or 10W30.

Change it NOW. How loud is the engine noise? Your dealer service is acting like a moron and avoiding replacing the oil. The health of you motor depends on engine specific clearances. If its a bit worn hear or sped with loose piston wall and big big ends then you will pound the engine. Ive had few to NO engines that run OK on a grade below spec.

Thanks all for the feedback. Most of you guys feel it's not a huge issue.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Change it NOW. How loud is the engine noise? Your dealer service is acting like a moron and avoiding replacing the oil. The health of you motor depends on engine specific clearances. If its a bit worn hear or sped with loose piston wall and big big ends then you will pound the engine. Ive had few to NO engines that run OK on a grade below spec.

My engine noise isn't loud at all - at least no louder or quieter than it was beforehand from what I can tell. The advisor blew off my concerns and just kept telling me that's what they always do and that it's not an issue ... "It's fine man, don't worry about it".

Let them know what Corporate says and if getting them to change it to the 5W30 is too much of a hassle, don't give yourself an aneurysm. Go 3K miles and change it elsewhere.

My neighbor had a similar situation yesterday.
If it was done in my shop I would either refund you the cost or make it right as per factory specs.

No other right way to do it!

Good Luck!

0w20 is very good stuff.
I'd drive it for 3000 miles and see if I liked it.

Unless you are towing it shouldn't be an issue, and if you were towing I'd tell you to take a look at your coolant and Transmission service intervals first.

If you don't like it in 3000. Change it out.

Change it. That's ridiculous that they would use the incorrect fluid. Neither anyone on here nor the dealership is qualified nor has enough technical information to judge whether it will be ok or not. If Corporate says only use 5w-30 then take their word for it. Gamble with your engine all you want. No one on this site is giving you a warranty for their advice.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No one on this site is giving you a warranty for their advice.

Quote of the day.

Love it!

Vote here is go back and make them put the correct grade in. Trouble is with their record how can you trust them? Got it, have them give you the correct oil in quarts and you'll take care of it.

When I bought my F250 Powerstroke the dealer offered the first oil change for free. 13 quarts of oil and a $20 filter, Why not?
I got a reminder why not when the service advisor nearly wrecked my new truck in the parking lot and another reminder when they presented me with the no-charge invoice stating they filled it with 5w20. The reminder sticker on the windshield claimed they used 15w40 so I checked with the advisor who assured me they used....5w40?? I ran whatever they used for 5k miles and changed it myself since.

Last edited:
Not surprised. I would also guess that the oil they put in your car is actually 5w-30, probably conventional too. I took my girlfriend's Toyota in for it's first free oil change at 10k (I had changed it myself at 5K using bottled TGMO 5w-20). There's no way the stuff they put in was the same quality/viscosity as what I had used but they claimed it was the real deal.
...and if I wasn't so lazy, I would have done something about it:). Most of us are, that's how they're getting away with this [censored].

Totally lazy service department. Just don't deal with that dealership's service department anymore. And if they ask for feedback, which they usually do. Then have at it and state the facts.

Like others change it if you feel things change too much. There are some 30 weight oils that are thin enough to be considered heavy 20 weights and the opposite is also true where some 20 weights are heavy enough to be considered light 30 weights.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
I ran whatever they used for 5k miles and changed it myself since.

That's what I would do. Dealerships will not budge on their actions and you'll only give yourself more stress dealing with them. Don't waste your time or breathe. Heck, I'd go ahead and just change it out myself now and save myself from the worries and stress.

The chain in the 4.0l is a meat grinder add a little fuel as they do I would change it soon.

Originally Posted By: 4thT4r
Thanks all for the feedback. Most of you guys feel it's not a huge issue.

That was until this post here. Get that 0W-20 outta there ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back