Why do people say weight when it’s viscosity?

If you know what somebody is talking about , why correct them for minor things that don't change the facts ? Nobody is impressed with irrelevant knowledge .
I could not agree more, like the whole "clip" vs "magizine Or "shells" vs "rounds" vs etc

If you know what the person is trying to say then the communication was effective. Move on with your life and try to to sweat the small things.

I could not agree more, like the whole "clip" vs "magizine Or "shells" vs "rounds" vs etc

If you know what the person is trying to say then the communication was effective. Move on with your life and try to to sweat the small things.
Some one asks me for a clip I am handing them a clip to load a magazine with. That term isn’t interchangeable.

I think the use of the word weight to describe grade may go back to when lubes were sold as light, medium and heavy or a combination like medium-heavy. Somewhere I have an old Socony Gargoyle can from Grandpa's service station with the grade listed as such.

Some one asks me for a clip I am handing them a clip to load a magazine with. That term isn’t interchangeable.
Just the way some people are wired, I used to be similar but I’ve learned to let it go. Life is better not being as critical.

Each to their own.

IMG_20231003_225326650.jpg

IMG_20231003_225435808.jpg

SAE 70 Ultra Heavy. No wonder it's survived 80 years!

You have to add a few things to your assessment.
Such as the 5W would be the viscosity of an sae 5 AT THAT TEMPERATURE. Same with the 30 part, but at a much higher temp.

You are partially correct. The Xw numbers do very much in fact correlate to temperature in Celsius. But it’s a pumpability measurement at that temp -40C from that number.

A little study of the grade limits will make it obvious (and why 0w, 5w, etc. grades achieved with additives are pointless for someone who does not operate their engine in those low temps; they do not correlate to pumpability at higher temps).

C63D8D28-29FE-4BCC-846D-6F4C5BA7BE35.jpeg

Kind of like clip versus magazine . Some people just can't help but correct others over it . I just use the correct term and move on . :geek:

My brother the engineer loves to play word games.
brother working on a sand buggy and I notice a new alternator.
Says to him "I see you have a new Generator on there."
my brother the wordsmith says" it isn't a Generator, it is an Alternator."

my smart ass says
" I've heard it said you can generate electricity but never heard anyone say they can alternate it.."
then I said " besides if we really want to be correct it is a alternating current generator."

I don't worry about any of it. its just a word.

Sometimes I play word games too , just to see who gets triggered . Hot water heater and hose pipe are a couple of winners usually . :)

The same reason people interchange tolerance and clearance. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the W in an oil grade stands for and how they are indeed grades (like ABCD) and not specific weight values (like 1 pound).

Back