UPDATE - Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Ultras, but if dropped hard enough on the dome, it can straighten or weaken the leaf spring. The cartridge inside the can is pretty heavy, and it can smash the leaf spring if it hits hard enough. Always shake an Ultra before installing it. Still would like to hear what damage this Mazda suffered, though.

Adding, ALL filters have failure modes of one kind or other, but rare is the one that nukes an engine-like older Frams jamming up piston oil nozzles on Cummins B 5.9 engines. Usually it’ll be a seam leak, or a torn MC or Purolator, or even a rusty K&N nut-annoying, but not necessarily a disaster.

This is how it works, if you question someone's honesty, do the search yourself first.

You hear that guys? You can claim anything with zero evidence, and it’s the responsibility of those questioning your statement to prove you wrong.

Kind of like when you sue someone, you’re automatically right unless the other party can prove you wrong.

Or how scientific journals can publish articles with no sourcesand it’s up the reader to verify the validity.

Or how historical writings don’t need citations or to use primary sources to support their argument.

@Farnsworth , you made a claim and someone is asking that you provide a source to support that claim. Pretty standard procedure.

OP, do you know if there was any damage to filter element, bulging canister, etc.? I’m trying to wrap my head around how this could occur without any other kind of damage. I know one in a million has been tossed around, but even that sounds too low 😂

If you cannot provide some evidence to back all this up then it means nothing except bashing a particular brand.
You know all about the three rattling Frams at Walmart. So that says a lot right there.
No need to be defensive. My post was supporting your initial claim. Also, yes, posting something without any supporting evidence is a claim.

My question was separate from the supporting evidence for your claim which was do we have any examples of a FRAM Ultra failure causing damage?

This forum is phenomenal for tracking defective filters; recall the Purolator PureOne/Tearolator tracking that was occurring for quite some time on here.

I’ve been running FRAM Ultras in all of my cars and even on my mower for quite a few years now so clearly I’m not just a FRAM basher but I honestly think that it may be time to consolidate evidence related to the different types of issues that folks are experiencing with these filters. I have been noticing a trend of seemingly quality control related issues being noted over the past little while and I had a weeping gasket on my Subaru last year. Maybe it is time to start tracking this kind of info.
I think the search was for rattling fram ultras, nothing else. So yes or no there have been a number of Fram ultras with loose elements? The trouble isn’t from me here but the ones who know well about all oil filter posts about the loose elements I am talking about.

You hear that guys? You can claim anything with zero evidence, and it’s the responsibility of those questioning your statement to prove you wrong.

Kind of like when you sue someone, you’re automatically right unless the other party can prove you wrong.

Or how scientific journals can publish articles with no sourcesand it’s up the reader to verify the validity.

Or how historical writings don’t need citations or to use primary sources to support their argument.

@Farnsworth , you made a claim and someone is asking that you provide a source to support that claim. Pretty standard procedure.

OP, do you know if there was any damage to filter element, bulging canister, etc.? I’m trying to wrap my head around how this could occur without any other kind of damage. I know one in a million has been tossed around, but even that sounds too low 😂
Correct, either search yourself to verify, or don’t say it’s wrong. How can you say it’s wrong if you don’t know? You say you don’t know if there are those other Ultras, but are sure I’m wrong? How so? It’s all very funny actually because I know exactly what is going on. 😄

Correct, either search yourself to verify, or don’t say it’s wrong. How can you say it’s wrong if you don’t know? You say you don’t know if there are those other Ultras, but are sure I’m wrong? How so? It’s all very funny actually because I know exactly what is going on. 😄
A) Asking for a source isn’t saying you’re wrong.
B) You’re more dense than pound cake.

I remember one Rattler.

Member posted a video of it and it went to Fram.

As I recall the vehicle was exhibiting a start up rattle then the filter was found to be rattling when removed, a new filter cured the start up rattle. The filter went to Fram and again as i recall the determined it had been dropped at some point bending the leaf spring.

Some controversy ensued and the poster became in active.

The video is probably still on the Tube of You.

I'd look it all up for y'all but I don't care that much.

The also used to be a guy here who claimed a Fram blew his engine up and they bought him an engine yet he will never buy another one, i seem to remember this happened around the dawning of the stone age, so maybe it would be hard to find...

EDIT: Wahdda know one of the threads is in the "similar threads" list. Pretty sure https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/members/mullick2001.55652/ is the user.

Last edited:
Search for it yourself.

The burden is on the instigator.

The history of this subforum has shown no failures of Fram filters except for this thread. Purolators and Motorcraft filters seem to have the edge in defects but I don’t remember any that caused engine damage.

I remember on

EDIT: Wahdda know one of the threads is in the "similar threads" list. Pretty sure https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/members/mullick2001.55652/ is the user.
Just to clarify, that thread is about a rattler, not a failure that caused engine damage like this tread is about. Both are being talked about, so just pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back