UPDATE - Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are the one that had the theory of the mount thread is going inside the center tube so the adbv is below it. Not so on Frams, they have that neck inside every one. Some Puros have the neck inside too, but not as much maybe. Take any Fram and look in the hole and you see the adbv well up inside. That folds over or goes in the center tube, as it is already partially inside, with the flow and down the hatch the adbv goes if it is loose. Others are not the same at all and won’t act the same.
Like said above, if guts are loose on any oil filter there is the risk of the ADBV getting washed into the engine due to delta-p and oil flow across the area where the ADBV would normally be pinched and sealed. Have you tested every oil filter with loose guts to see how the ADBV design will behave?

So tell me ... why do you think it took 10,000 km for this failure to occur?

Last edited:
Not worth it, deleted.
I hope she gets the cost of a new engine even if she had to get a used one put in.
She will only get back what it cost to do what she decided to do without final determination/decision by Fram. That's how it will work out if Fram pays.

When the filter was asked what it had to say about killing someone’s engine, it was rumored to have responded, “Some days you’re the windshield, some days your the bug...so I had a bug day, whaddya gonna do, sue...errr, no comment, NO COMMENT!”

Wow
what is typically threaded into the hole where the adbv was found?
I'm thinking it's the end of a main oil gallery, and the hole is with the plug removed. Looks like other galleries branch off from there (red arrows).

Oil Gallery.jpg

Sending the part or filter BIG MISTAKE, unless she first hired a lawyer and had Indy confirm the damage before having Fram send their own investigators. Once Fram has their part or filter in their hands, their answer will be “nothing wrong with this part or filter” and then they don’t send it back to you. Once they have that filter or part in their hands, she won’t have a leg to stand on.

Happened to my nieces husband. Fram burst. Sent Fram the filter as requested. Fram declined the claim and kept the filter. Nephew had to eat the cost of engine replacement.

Once Fram has their part or filter in their hands, their answer will be “nothing wrong with this part or filter” and then they don’t send it back to you. Once they have that filter or part in their hands, she won’t have a leg to stand on.

A very good reason to video record the removal and dismantling of the engine, complete with incorruptible time/date stamps, heck even geographical coordinates..

Fram could claim someone just shoved the ADBV in there with a finger..

The car owner still has an intact FRAM oil filter with its anti-drainback valve missing, and the owner’s mechanic, after teardown of a ruined engine, has photographs of a FRAM anti-drainback valve jammed deep in the innards of that engine.

Hmm...

There were some fairly clueless responses on TOF, but:

A “rattler” is what I would expect if the ADBV was missing. The ADBV is required to seal the element and would reduce tension on the element by providing clearance where none was intended. However I don’t see how it could come out if said tension was present and it was properly oriented when installed.

I’ve said from the day of the buyout caution is warranted, new owner always looking to increase profit, something has to give to do that... either price goes up or manufacturing cost go down...

Be interesting to find out of pre or post Trico Ultra.

Like said above, if guts are loose on any oil filter there is the risk of the ADBV getting washed into the engine due to delta-p and oil flow across the area where the ADBV would normally be pinched and sealed. Have you tested every oil filter with loose guts to see how the ADBV design will behave?

So tell me ... why do you think it took 10,000 km for this failure to occur?
Tell me, where are the pics of ANY other brand oil filter missing the anti drain valve, and it is inside the engine? The Fram valve is already 1/3 of the way into the center tube from the design. Others are not at all inside the center tube. That makes a difference. You want it to be others do it too, but it isn’t that way. You will defend Fram like you are hired to do it. 😄
As for liability it can’t be shown it left the factory like this. Anyone handling it after could be responsible. Fram could be responsible due to design defect that produces rattling filters if dropped, but lawyers are very expensive to convince the judge. Not that there is a judge or ever will be. It will boil down to good will and get rid of more bad advertising. People reading this already out in internet land may say no more Fram for me. So it needs to get swept under the rug ASAP. So get to sweeping.🧹

Last edited:
Be interesting to find out of pre or post Trico Ultra.

Was the redesign of the box post Trico?
81Ex3Q2FHxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

She ordered it from Amazon.ca so I would think it's new stock.

edit: I see the new packaging started in Nov 2019 so it was after Fram was acquired. I've just PMed her asking if the packaging looked like this.

In that orginal thread.... Now in this thread this "she" was a "he" in that orginal thread......

I was one of the guilty ones calling her a he. Stupid mistake to assume anyone posting on a forum is a guy.

Last edited:
The car owner still has an intact FRAM oil filter with its anti-drainback valve missing, and the owner’s mechanic, after teardown of a ruined engine, has photographs of a FRAM anti-drainback valve jammed deep in the innards of that engine.

also detailed notes from the mazda dealership

625x760_smart_fit.jpg

1000x745_smart_fit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back