Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was just posted on a local forum. Has anyone heard of this? The guy just posted a picture of the filter the dealer took off and it does look like it actually is missing the ADBV. The dealer also said they could hear something rattling inside the filter. I didn't think that could be possible, but maybe it's the ADBV ratting around.

The OP said they brought the oil and filter to their mechanic, and the mechanic did the change. I'm surprised they didn't notice. Maybe it was there when it was installed and slipped out of place during operation?

What caused the engine damage? Flow through the filter obstructed by the ADBV out of place? Repeated start-ups with no oil retained in the filter?

Last edited:
Just browsed that thread and it just sounds like a repair shop that's taking advantage of someone. The vehicle owner (no offense to them) doesn't understand things well enough and simply "trusts" what they are being told by the shop...

Is it possible the the Fram ADBV became dislodged and partially blocked oil flow through the filter?

The tech's notes say that oil pressure was below spec (175 kPa vs 220) with the Fram filter on. Perhaps that led to bearing damage, and the reduced oil pressure now (fluctuating between 175 and 230).

Amazon would never drop a filter off a truck onto the pavement and knock the element loose. They are very careful people. But even a loose element wouldn’t block the oil flow, would it? The guy should trade it in. 😄

Post #29 in that thread shows a photo of the filter base, and looks like there is no ADBV - the XG6607 should have one. Could be why the filter supposedly "rattled" (ie, guts not tight due to missing ADBV).

But regardless, a missing ADBV is not going to cause any oil starvation. Seems that the shop has misconceptions and are blaming the filter because to them that's what "makes sense". Guys giving advice in that thread are right, the owner should contact Fram and have the filter sent in just in case ... don't cut it open first.

How long was this filter on the car? ... not sure I saw where he said.

@ZeeOSix ,

Slightly off topic but what would be the reason for a ADBV on these filters. On my CX5 the filter is about 3” X 2.5”. The volume it holds is maybe 8oz once the media is soaked.

I can see the purpose in a larger filter. Not much is going to drain back in these.

@ZeeOSix ,

Slightly off topic but what would be the reason for a ADBV on these filters. On my CX5 the filter is about 3” X 2.5”. The volume it holds is maybe 8oz once the media is soaked.

I can see the purpose in a larger filter. Not much is going to drain back in these.
I was going to look-up that guys car and see if the XG6607 is specified by Fram ... probably is. I'm betting most aftermarket filters specified for your CX5 will probably have the ADBV. Using a filter with an ADBV will still work with no issues, even if the OEM filter doesn't have one for whatever reason.

Update - yes, the called out Fram is the 6607.

BITOG Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I was going to look-up that guys car and see if the XG6607 is specified by Fram ... probably is. I'm betting most aftermarket filters specified for your CX5 will probably have the ADBV. Using a filter with an ADBV will still work with no issues, even if the OEM filter doesn't have one for whatever reason.

Update - yes, the called out Fram is the 6607.

View attachment 44173

Looks right. The Roki filters just show the media end with some sort of wax or resin coating. I am thinking the M1 108A had a ADBV too.

PS: Mazda keeps it simple. They use the same filter on all their Skyactiv engines except for the turbo models.

This was just posted on a local forum. Has anyone heard of this? The guy just posted a picture of the filter the dealer took off and it does look like it actually is missing the ADBV. The dealer also said they could hear something rattling inside the filter. I didn't think that could be possible, but maybe it's the ADBV ratting around.

The OP said they brought the oil and filter to their mechanic, and the mechanic did the change. I'm surprised they didn't notice. Maybe it was there when it was installed and slipped out of place during operation?

I'm betting the ADBV was never there. I don't think an ADBV could be swept all the way into the filter and not be seen to some degree by looking into the base plate holes. Of course, cutting it open would be the sure way to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back