Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely not good for FRAM. I run them exclusively now but this is much worse than Puro's tearing.

One reason I asked about how many miles were on this filter when this happened is because if it happened many thousands of miles after the filter was installed, then it makes it a more mysterious failure. If the filter had super loose guts from the beginning then I'd think the failure would have happened pretty soon after filter installation.

He answered -
"There was only about 10k km on it"

He answered -
"There was only about 10k km on it"
So why would it take 10,000 km on the filter for it to suddenly fail and supposedly rip the ADBV out of the filter and suck it into the engine? Like said, if the guts were super loose from the get-go, then the failure would have happened much sooner than after it being used for 10,000 km. It might be possible that the ADBV ripped for some reason, and wiggled out of it's position, thereby losing the stack-up clamping force on the guts, and causing the guts to come loose enough to allow the ADBV to get sucked into the engine. Only way to prove what happened is to find where the ADBV is, if it is anywhere (ie, inside the filter or inside the engine) - of if it was even in the filter to begin with. Even if Fram cuts open the filter and doesn't find an ADBV, they don't know if it was there to begin with. So the engine will have to be torn down to see if the ADBV is in the engine somewhere to complete the diagnosis.

PS - I see the OP in the reference thread said that today and I didn't go see what new posts were there. Then the next guy in post #54 says: "It’s plausible the filter failed given that mileage." Ummm ... don't think so because we've seen tons of Ultras ran well over 10k km (~6500 miles) ... some were ran over 20K miles with no issues.

Last edited:
This boys and girls is the kind of finger pointing and drama under warranty you can save yourself by just using a factory filter. (from a reputable source)

Though I highly doubt the filter is to blame, if it had a Mazda filter on it, it wouldn't even be a question.

So now she's waiting for Fram and Mazda to finish the urinating contest before she can get her car fixed.

I'm still a little confused as to how the ADBV could have wedged itself through the center hole and left no trace behind, are the oil galleries big enough to allow that much silicone through? This is going to be a good test of Fram's new ownership to see if First Brands will stand behind their products if it actually happened!

No gasket in that one picture makes me wonder if gasket was stuck to the oil filter mount. When does that happen? Either installed dry or overtightened!

So, if the lube tech overtightened the living daylights out of the filter, could he have stretched the filter base out toward the block will the gasket pushed out on the outside of the base?

I'd have to see the 'oil flow' in that engine to believe where that ADBV was found. I'm guessing that they removed the oil filter mount? Can anyone with a 2.5Skyactiv identify the location from the pictures on where that ADBV was found?

So, this Mazda issue would not stop be from using any Fram filter, even on my Mazda.

I don't buy filters from Amazon.
I don't install filters with noises inside when shaking.
I don't install filters with dings/dents(that will usually disappear when oil comes up on pressure).
I don't overtighten filters.
I do prefill my filters,
I do pull over safely and shut 'er down if ANYTHING doesn't sound right, or sounds different, or if any idiot light comes on.

I think that a damaged filter, whether from storage shipping handling installation, or a defectively torn ADBV could've caused an issue. I do know that oil filter manufacturers stand by their products. I can't wait to see the official Fram letter concerning this incident.

I'd have to see the 'oil flow' in that engine to believe where that ADBV was found. I'm guessing that they removed the oil filter mount? Can anyone with a 2.5Skyactiv identify the location from the pictures on where that ADBV was found?
Keep in mind that the photo the dealer showed the car owner of supposedly an ADBV down inside an (unknown) engine was not their car, but an example of a failure they found.

"It’s plausible the filter failed given that mileage." Ummm ... don't think so because we've seen tons of Ultras ran well over 10k km (~6500 miles) ... some were ran over 20K miles with no issues.
So what ? That doesn't mean that every single Fram Ultra will last that long with zero issues. They can "fail" after 1000 miles, 5000 miles, or never fail.

So what ? That doesn't mean that every single Fram Ultra will last that long with zero issues. They can "fail" after 1000 miles, 5000 miles, or never fail.
Go back and read my post again. My point was towards the comment made in a post on that other chat board, where the guy thought it might have failed because the filter had 6200 miles on it and was over used. Hardly, lol ... especially on a pretty new car that's had regular 3100 mile oil changes (per the car owner).

Last edited:
Though I highly doubt the filter is to blame, if it had a Mazda filter on it, it wouldn't even be a question.
The Mazda owner has likely lost their case. They admitted to using the filter for 2 oil change intervals and that exceeded the miles that Mazda says to change the oil and filter. Doesn't matter if Fram claims 20k miles for this filter either, Fram also says (I'm paraphrasing): "Change the filter according the manufacturer's schedule during warranty time frame".

The Mazda owner has likely lost their case. They admitted to using the filter for 2 oil change intervals and that exceeded the miles that Mazda says to change the oil and filter. Doesn't matter if Fram claims 20k miles for this filter either, Fram also says (I'm paraphrasing): "Change the filter according the manufacturer's schedule during warranty time frame".

Yeah I saw that, but still - if it had a Mazda filter it still would likely not have even come up...

Yeah I saw that, but still - if it had a Mazda filter it still would likely not have even come up...
That might also be the case if the dealer/Mazda deemed running the OEM too long was the cause/scapegoat. Car companies/dealerships are notorious for trying to deny warranty in every way possible. Ford likes denying warranty on any part of a vehicle if the ECU is reflashed. Yeah, the wheel bearing and HID ignitor unit went out because the ECU had a tune on it, lol.

Last edited:
The more I read this thread and after looking back at the original post again, I’ve become entirely convinced that the most likely truth here is it the whole thing is false reasoning or completely made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back