Fram Ultra Oil Filter Failure Before 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums. I have browsed he website a lot but never had a reason to post. That is until recently. Back in October of 2010 I purchased a 2006 Ford Freestyle AWD with the trusty 3.0L Duratech and the CVT transmission. She had 65,000 miles at the time of purchase. This car has been a champ. The car has seen nothing but Mobil 1 and recently have been switching to AFE 0w-20 in the winter and EP 5w-20 in the summer. The oil filter has always been the same. The Motorcraft FL-820S. I recently have been so pleased with the condition of the oil at my 5,000 miles intervals that I have contemplated upping the interval to 7,500. I knew that in order to do so I would need to upgrade the filter. After a lot of research and seeing the guts of almost every filter. I decide on the new Fram Ultra. Due to it's low price of $9 and the fact that my local Walmart has them and my Mobil 1 oil($27 for 5qt jug). So with the first change to the new filter I couldn't bring myself to go up to 7,500 with out seeing how the filter handled 5,000 first. All was good. I cut her open and the pleets were all in tack and the filter was solid. So I stuck with the Fram ultra for my winter change. 6qts Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-20 and the Fram Ultra XG2 filter. All went well until 4,900 miles into the oil. The car sat for 2 days in my garage and I attempted to start her. She cranked slow at first then came back to life but died after a few seconds of rough idle.I had to get her started and keep my foot to the floor up to 3,000 Rpms before she was firing right. I put her on the jack and took a look. I couldnt find anything wrong and noticed she was at 4,900 miles on the oil and she had burned through about a qt maybe more ( this car at 5,000 will drain 5 of the 6 original quarts with most of the qt in the filter). Time to change the oil and see whats going on. Upon taking the filter off I heard a grinding sound I had never heard before. So I set it aside and let it drain. When I picked it up after it was drained I spun it in my hand and could hear the filter spinning inside the housing. It is even able to move about 1-2mm up and down. I have never heard of this happening. So I went to youtube and looked at the guts again and still have no idea what could have happened. I have to wait out the weekend to call Fram to see what they are willing to do before I cut the filter open. I could find no info of anybody ever warrantying a Fram filter. So I figured I will document the process in this thread. I will post pics when I get the go ahead to open the filter as well as when I hear any information from Fram. I will get a video posted to youtube of the sound and link it here within a few days. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have heard of the orange Fram crushing from oil pressure but this has a metal screen in between the filter media and metal end caps! Sorry for the long read but I could find no information on this happening and figured I needed to document my experience so others can benefit. I will be back to update often!

It would be interesting to see the filter dissected. I'm no expert but would a filter failure cause a hard start condition? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Is the motor ok? That's unfortunate this happened, I would say this would be a very isolated incident though. Many here run this filter 8,000 miles or more with no issues. Looking forward to hear how things progress from here.

FWIW I had a Ford Freestyle and used the Motorcraft filters for 7,500 mile intervals and never had any issues. The oil was not any darker used than it was new. Usually used whatever synth was on sale. Car ran great at 130k when it got traded since the CVT was making noises i didn't want to pay for. Motor was spotless inside as well. motorcraft filters are pretty decent, I would recommend them myself for intervals of 7,500 k. I am sure most on here would agree.

Uh ohh......
This is going to be fun to watch.

coffee2.gif

I have no idea if the hard start was related. My best guess was the drain back valve failed and the engine was dry from sitting for 2 days. The plugs probably should be replaced but when I inspected them 15,000 miles ago they were in beautiful shape. It could have been a plug/ dry engine issue or just a plug issue that lead me to find the filter.

Engine runs fine now. My girlfriends doesn't even believe it happened (the starting, I showed her the filter). I always find the problems with her car and she never believes me until they happen to her.

Last edited:
I had considered using the motorcraft filter but I liked the Ultra because it had the metal screen in the media so it would prevent blow outs in the media at higher mileage. But I guess 7,500 isn't that big of a stretch so I might go with a motorcraft next time. Thanks for the advice.

I bet FRAM is going to want that filter sent back to them. If so, can you video as much as you can on said filter if they do want it back?
I have been reading very good things about this filter and was going to use one on my next OCI. Well, after seeing this and UNTIL the end results I think I will hold off.
27.gif

I will be taking a video tomorrow and showing as much as I can. You can clearly hear it spinning so it should show whats going on well. Fram opens in 6 hours I think so I will have a good update tomorrow just wanted to post tonight in case anyone was thinking of switching. It probably an isolated incident but we shall see.

I have seen the teardowns of the filter and think it must be the leaf spring that holds pressure on the filter that failed but I have no idea how that could happen

Last edited:
I hope it's an April fools joke...I just installed a Fram Ultra on BOTH of my vehicles at the recent oil changes. An odd thing happened with the Suzuki...after the new filter was installed and I fired it up, the oil light stayed on for what seemed forever before finally going out (must've been 30 seconds or so). I was a little alarmed at the amount of time it took for it to go out. No such problems on the van...light went out almost simultaneously as always. My first thought was there was something wrong with the Ultra filter. All seems OK now but I was considering trying a Napa Platinum or just going back to my P1 next time.

The Motorcraft filter will handle 7500 miles with ease. The Duratec is easy on oil. I have been doing 8000 mile oil changes on my Sable (3.0 Duratec) for over 120,000 miles. Using PP and Motorcraft or Purolator filters. The engine is clean inside and runs like new. Never a problem. Never had to top up between changes.

Last edited:
First I don't think you should cut the filter open. Quite sure Fram will want you to box up the filter as is and send it to the Fram Test Labs in Perrysburg, Ohio. I too would like to see the insides but it is best to send without opening the can.

Based on your description alone, it sounds as if the retainer leaf spring wasn't able to keep the pressure on the filter element and adbv to keep it in place. In the Fram design the reatainer leaf spring and bypass assembly are combined. What causes that is difficult to say without specifically seeing the guts. But, as with any mass produced product stuff happens and I wouldn't condemn the Ultra based on one incident.

At least the engine is now running fine again. I too would like to hear the described sound of the filter on youtube if possible before you send it off.

Sounds like an April 1 joke ...

The oil running back into the pan due to failed ADBV isn't going to cause a hard start. It'll cause a bit of noise (depending) but it won't cause the engine to run rough.

Good Morning,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. Couple things, your hard start is not related to the oil filter, any drivability tech will tell you that. that said, if you are going to file a claim with us, DO NOT cut open the filter!
Please call our product evaluation group at 888-889-8374. they will instruct you how to make a claim. the filter will be evaluated and you will be given a full report as to what the issue is.

The filter and operational issue are two different problems. Sounds to me like the leaf spring broke. It happens. Of course it'll be blown way out of proportion by those with trollish tendencies, but send it off to Fram and get them to autopsy it. You'll very likely get a replacement filter, as you should.

I'm assuming this is NOT an April Fools joke.

This is my best guess.

The leaf spring fatigued and tore. That is why I prefer coil springs.

When the leaf spring at the top of the can broke it was unable to exert downward pressure on the metal end cap of the filter element, thereby rendering the ADBV unable to seal the inlet holes anymore.

The filter element that is forced by the leaf spring sandwiches the ADBV between the bottom metal end cap and the inlet holes on the tapping plate.

This lack of leaf spring tension would allow the filter element to spin freely and move a bit in the can, and the ADBV allows the oil to drain back into the pan as it isn't "squeezed" anymore by leaf spring tension to seal the inlet holes.

So, for sure, this is how your dry start happened. Damage probably didn't occur.

Many people have disliked the leaf spring due to the surmised possibility that it could fatigue, as a sheet would form stress lines quicker than a coil.

Quote:
So WIX had the formula right all along?

Well they do use a coil spring, but some of the Wix made Napa Silver's now use a combo valve design and using the Motorcraft FL-820S comparo link as reference so did Wix at one time for at least one appplication. I don't like that formula.

That said, no one here knows if the leaf spring failed here. That and there are many millions of oil filters including many premium high end filters using a leaf spring design with no issues. And even 'if' it is the leaf spring I wouldn't condemn the leaf design based on an anecdotal experience. FYI, the OP's alternative FL-820S also uses a leaf spring.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Good Morning,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. Couple things, your hard start is not related to the oil filter, any drivability tech will tell you that. that said, if you are going to file a claim with us, DO NOT cut open the filter!
Please call our product evaluation group at 888-889-8374. they will instruct you how to make a claim. the filter will be evaluated and you will be given a full report as to what the issue is.

32.gif
Jay, I have some Q?'s about oil filters and using them multiple times. What is the best way to contact you?
32.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The oil running back into the pan due to failed ADBV isn't going to cause a hard start. It'll cause a bit of noise (depending) but it won't cause the engine to run rough.

^^ This.

Otherwise, the car would have problems starting and a rough idle after every oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back