Fram Ultra Rubber Gasket Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on my 2010 Honda CRV today and found out the hard way that the rubber gasket from the old Fram XG7317 filter stuck to the oil filter block. When I installed the new Fram Ultra, the new rubber gasket mounted right up against the old rubber gasket. I couldn't see this as I was spinning the oil filter at a 45 degree angle. When I refilled the engine with new oil and started the vehicle, all the oil came gushing out from the new filter. I removed the new filter and found the old Fram Ultra gasket stuck to the new rubber gasket. Needless to say, I was [censored]. 3 quarts worth of oil spilled on my garage.

I have 3 other Fram Ultras sitting on the shelf. I opened all of them and found that the rubber gasket were all "loose" and easily came off of the filter.

Has anyone else experienced this?

-ttvr4

All my ultras are loose too, but I thought that this was by design. It works fine when I tighten it up.

Rookie mistake no matter the filter used always check you have old gasket usually only happens once in your life you'll check every time now oil change 101.

Another reason to prefer the O-ring style gasket that's crimped down in the middle over the standard sliced tubing style one.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Rookie mistake no matter the filter used always check you have old gasket usually only happens once in your life you'll check every time now oil change 101.

This^^

I was curious to see what this was about since I use Fram Ultra. The title is misleading. I ALWAYS clean the mating surface before installing a new filter.

You should always check to make sure the old gasket comes off. Thats too bad about the oil on the floor though.

You were very lucky in that you caught the double gasket problem right away. If it was a slow leak and you drove around for a while, you could have oil spray on the hot exhaust manifold and have a fire. I believe some earlier years Honda CRV's had a TSB about double gaskets on the oil filter when changing the oil and resulting fires.

Never double gasketed a filter, but have forgot to put one on. Did tht once on a pushrod taurus, i like the change the filter from the top and got in a hurry. Lol

Always oil the rubber gasket so it won't stick when installing an oil filter. Some new engines have the filter gasket stuck to the engine block at the first oil change because the factory does not oil the gasket first. The Fram filter is not at fault here.

I always look at the old filter and scratch the engine filter block with my finger to feel metal just to be sure. Double check.

I certainly made a mistake of not checking the oil filter mount on the vehicle. However, is it normal for a brand new rubber gasket on the oil filter to be "loose" and detach from the filter? I've used plenty of WIX filters and the rubber gasket never comes off the filter.

-ttvr4

Last edited:
This can happen with any filter i always check to see that the gasket came off and the mating surface is clean.

Fram ultra is a good filter.

Originally Posted By: dave123

+1. That was the first thing I was taught - wipe the mating surface clean to get rid of dirt and gaskets.

Fortunately lesson learned before driving anywhere. Just a mess to clean up...

I always inspect the old filter coming off to ensure the old gasket is intact and change the oil cold so I can feel around and wipe the surfaces without fear of burns.

Does everybody need to feel empowered by beating up on somebody for a filter gasket issue.
Really, once was enough...
To your question- I got a bunch of Hastings filters in and the gasket just falls off and the crimps
don't work at all. You see this with many filters- just to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back