This winter won't die!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yikes. it was 71 degrees today. it's gonna be in the 80s here all week. livin in the south, cheaper livin and nicer weather.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Last year at this time I had already mowed three times. This year I doubt that I'll mow before the end of April.

Can't complain though-we need the moisture. At the beginning of winter the river a couple miles from us was so low you could walk across it without getting your ankles wet. Now it's almost bank full. Since it's been wet and cloudy the rain we get doesn't evaporate as fast as it does in the sunshine, and it's helping recharge the sub soil moisture.

As much as the weather is driving me nuts, I tend to agree with this. The Great lakes took a pounding the last years, so we need all the water we can get. I can already see my grass starting to come back to where it was when we bought the house. Just waiting for a break in the weather to work on it some more.

The wait is the part that is killing me....I have projects to start on!
frown.gif

I remember when I lived in Nebraska, we got a blizzard every year I lived there during Easter, no matter when Easter fell. One year, I was up in the Sandhills during Easter working on a farm when they said a blizzard was coming. We tried to make it out and got as far as O'Neil. Spent two days in a truck stop drinking coffee. I don't miss that at all.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Last year at this time I had already mowed three times. This year I doubt that I'll mow before the end of April.

I won't be able to get into my garden shed, thanks to the snow, until the end of April.

The weather here has been up and down. This weekend was mostly below normal temps, only about 45 degrees for the highs, but today is supposed to be above normal, mid 60s. But then the long range for the end of this week talks about possible snow showers on Saturday! This is nuts!

For me, the longest, most depressing winters I remember was when I lived in Indiana. Nebraska would be bitterly cold, but at least the sky was blue and the sun was bright. In Indiana, about the first of November, the sky would turn grey and the days would be cold and overcast all winter long. I hated winters in Indiana, (although I loved the fall colors and the Indian Summers).

The actual term being used in scientific circles is called "global climate change" but that does not prevent anybody from making political jabs.

More is coming this week; heavy snow and 32 degrees here currently. Everyone who turned on their sprinklers early is going to have broken pipes. My neighbors lawn looked like an ice skating rink yesterday when his sprinkler manifold froze, cracked, and flooded his yard.

Just have to share - My shed/workshop at my parents farm is a metal building. Spent two days cleaning and organizing. The temp inside the shed, (according to the gauge) was 110 degrees in the afternoon. Enjoy the cold.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Just have to share - My shed/workshop at my parents farm is a metal building. Spent two days cleaning and organizing. The temp inside the shed, (according to the gauge) was 110 degrees in the afternoon. Enjoy the cold.

My friend down here in Miami put in a portable A/C unit in his shed so now the shed is nice and comfy..I am surprised you have not done this living in Florida since even in the winter it can be very warm.

I have seasoned, dry firewood under cover & plan to fire up the woodstove later today, again. I can get it toasty warm in no time at these temps. Hopefully we will start drying out after today. last Summer drought, now flooding.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

My friend down here in Miami put in a portable A/C unit in his shed so now the shed is nice and comfy..I am surprised you have not done this living in Florida since even in the winter it can be very warm.

Beer works better
wink.gif

My parents live in a nice home with central heat and air which they NEVER use. When I went in the house for lunch, the temp was 86 degrees in the house which seemed nice and cool. They're both old Florida Crackers who have lived their whole life in the same place. Both of them have always worked outside in all weathers and heat simply does not bother them, (they don't like being cold - if it hits 60 degrees, they're freezing).

This Saturday, my Dad will be 94 years old and we're planning a party for him at his house, (we're having a fish fry - which means more veggie oil for me!) Mom and I were talking at lunch about all the people who are going to be there and she said, "We ought to see if the air works as we don't want people to be too hot." Turned on the unit, and nothing but warm air came out. One of my brothers is an HVAC man and we called him up. He came over and tested the system. No freon. It had sat for so long unused all the freon had leaked out. He recharged the system but is afraid it might all leak out again before Saturday. It might be a very warm party.

I'm normally very patient about the weather. After all, there's nothing we can do about it. However, setting record lows almost daily is really beginning to get under my skin. And the long range forecast never changes a bit. Every day is pretty much the same, for the last few weeks, with just minor fluctuations. It might break by the middle of next week, but it looks like Monday will set another record low overnight. Good grief.

I've still got a six foot snow bank in my yard, and can't get near my garden shed, not that I really need to get near a lawnmower or garden hose any time soon. And, if I wanted my F-150 out, it would take a lot of shovelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back