Sitting on death row awaiting Execution...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are in for life, and extra evidence comes to hand, which it frequently does, digging you up and pushing you out the door doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A possible solution for those in favor of life in prison but opposed to the high cost of jailing them, might be to jail them in a foreign country where the cost is cheaper. Win, win, the US saves money, and a country where costs are less can make some money from us. We pay a foreign country to house our prisoners, we become exporters of prisoners. It might help boost some foreign economy, and save the US tax payer a few dollars. I know but it would violate a killers rights. LOL

I'd like to see it start with moving live in prison prisoners to low cost states, that will be a good start.

But the correctional industrial complex is so powerful it is more of a job program than serving justice, and this is unlikely to happen other than to the super max prisoners.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

I see, you never answered whether it is acceptable to you if you were executed even if you were innocent... I am guessing it's not OK for you but OK for the others.

If it applies to the whole system, it would obviously apply to me. Obviously I wouldn't be happy with it. But who would be. Again (and again) my point is that nothing can be 100% perfect. There will be mistakes. People that can't accept that nothing can be made perfect are delusional. With any process there is the risk of failure.

I'm also against the death penalty simply because there are several cases where years later new evidence came forth that showed that the person was innocent. My idea has always been to put them in solitary in a small cell with no outside contact for life without possibility of parole. To accept that it is OK to execute without being absolutely sure is also delusional. I'm kind of guessing but if it was your hide or somebody close to you that was in that situation and you were sure that they were innocent you wouldn't be saying well it's OK since they jury found them guilty.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

And equating the innocent deaths to the risks that you take driving a car ???...

Death results in a wrongful sentence because of neglect errors by people (jury)

Death results in an automobile accident caused by errors or neglect by others. My point was that there is risk in all things. Nothing can be made perfect. Everything is a compromise. Automobile deaths could be cut way back by doubling the cost of a car by installing/designing more safety features. Speed limits could be cut back, more/better driving licensing requirements could be imposed. Roads could be redesigned.

There is a cost to everything. We could have 24 jurors and Two trials required for major crimes. It al costs money (which we don't have)

Quote:
Comments on it should be made as horrific as possible just indicate that the death penalty is a quest for vengence, not justice.

I guess Shannow that you would call any type of punishment "vengence". Do you believe life in prison is "justice" and the death penalty "Vengence"?

If you had the ability to carry out the sentence for a known guilty prisoner (there is no doubt)...the accused wants the death sentence instead of life. Shouldn't he receive his wish?

By the way the Bible does not oppose the death penalty as imposed by society.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
The death penalty is one sure thing to dissuade criminals.
Sometimes only partially, but very real.

Really?
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

LOL..nationally less than 3 out of 15,000 murders receive the death penalty. The fact is that even in Texas there is no "Death" penalty. And if you want to play another game..perhaps there are more capital punishments because those states have more murders.

Isn't Texas the leader in executing people? Criminals have never seemed to be dissuaded by the threat of executing even in the olds days. Evidently they always figured they wouldn't get caught. Either way people still kept on murdering. The bottom line though is still the idea of executing an innocent person. If you are worried about the cost I'm sure that if it was you that would be the last thing you'd be worried about. Now if a person asks for the death penalty I'd have no problem with that, but to say a known killer, no doubt? No doubt for whom?

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
Isn't Texas the leader in executing people? Criminals have never seemed to be dissuaded by the threat of executing even in the olds days.

12 executions out of 1500 murders lolz. Would you be afraid of 8 out of 10,000?

Your dropping the ball there Al.
Texas does have a death penalty.
Quote:
And if you want to play another game..perhaps there are more capital punishments because those states have more murders.

Exactly the point, even though they have a death penalty it does not deter any more than states with none.
Quote:
Would you be afraid of 8 out of 10,000?

One in a million falsley executed is one too many.

Your dropping the ball there Al.
Texas does have a death penalty.
Quote:
And if you want to play another game..perhaps there are more capital punishments because those states have more murders.

Exactly the point, even though they have a death penalty it does not deter any more than states with none.

You don't seem to understand that 8 out of 10,000 means its not enforced hence not a deterrent. :sigh:
Quote:
Would you be afraid of 8 out of 10,000?

Quote:
One in a million falsley executed is one too many.

I get it. You don't like the death penalty. I still can't help but wonder if you folks would feel the same way if your 5 year old daughter were raped and murdered.

Last edited:
I have no problem with capital punishment in theory (the contrary, I would be fine with televised public beheadings), but I cannot support the death penalty in practice. I just do not trust the court system that much!

No if my daughter had been raped and murdered the most important thing would be that the RIGHT person so convicted. Actually to me having the person sit in a cell with no outside contact for life without parole would be more satisfying than the short time that it would take to execute him. Besides on the chance that the convicted person was later found to be innocent I'd feel a whole lot better than murdering some innocent person.

This guy was found guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt.

http://www.texasobserver.org/cover-story...texas-execution

The ones that were "falsely executed" weren't exactly upstanding or rehabilitatable citizens. They were career criminals and sociopaths. Your guy there doused a man with lighter fluid and set him on FIRE.

Quote:
I’m from Texas. In Texas we have the death penalty and we USE IT! That’s right… if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we kill you back. That’s our policy.
They’re trying to push a bill right now in the Texas legislature that’ll speed up the process of execution in heinous crimes where there are more than three credible eye witnesses. If more than three people saw you do what you did, you don’t sit on death row for fifteen years, you go straight to the front of the line.
Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state is putting in an express lane. Ron White

A lot of people are under the mistaken notion that the justice system is there to deliver justice.

It is not. The three biggest actors in the field have different motivations.

The cops are out there to show that they solved the crime. So they will catch someone who they can send up the conveyor belt and mark the crime solved on their books. They are not in the business of finding the guilty party.

The prosecutor wants to get a conviction. They do not care whether the accused is guilty or not.

The jury usually are a bunch of dimwits who think that if the police has caught someone, that person must be guilty.

The judge is there to make sure that he gets reelected or promoted. S/he must show that he or she is tough on crime.

The only place on the conveyor belt that the accused has someone to look after his or her interests is the defense attorney. The court assigned defense are attorneys at the bottom of the barrel who are not capable of working anywhere else. Good private practices cost a lot of money.

Nice attempt, Civicfan. But, most people will not believe you unless they have been through that wringer.

In my hometown they just released a lifer one year after he was convicted of murder in a lengthy, expensive trial. Somehow, some security video surfaced that showed him undenialbly away from the crime scene at the time of the murder.

I don't know what the answer is.

.... The court assigned defense are attorneys at the bottom of the barrel who are not capable of working anywhere else. ....

In my state, the lead lawyer in a capital case has to have a certification that they are death qualified. It's hard to get and few have it.

I'm admitted to practice at the U.S. Supreme Court, but I can't do a capital case.

The judge is there to make sure that he gets reelected or promoted. S/he must show that he or she is tough on crime.

Ah, that's not the way I understand. Judges are appointed rather than elected and they are usually appointed for life or at least a very long period of time, so they are not pressured to rule certain ways like the executive and legislative politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back