Salt

I would never park my car inside a heated garage if I could avoid it ( work etc ).
It worries me but is it ever so nice... mine is not heated but it seems to say above freezing in the winter all the same.

The vehicles that get parked outside have been attacked by mice, unless if I park in front of the garage, which then defeats the usage of the garage. Can't win.

It worries me but is it ever so nice... mine is not heated but it seems to say above freezing in the winter all the same.

The vehicles that get parked outside have been attacked by mice, unless if I park in front of the garage, which then defeats the usage of the garage. Can't win.
I have never had any issues with animals but maybe it’s different depending where a person lives ( I don’t live in the country ). If I had a garage, I would use it a lot ( keeps the snow off ) but not a heated down town one ( lots in colder cities downtown ) if I could avoid it if parking there everyday for work. It activates the salt.

Yep, I know. I had a stack of tires near the door, and melt-off was pooling under them. The rims rusted more in one winter than in the prior 9 years! Crazy.

I've tried some of the cheaper undercoating but it doesn't stay on it seemed. In the end, high yearly miles plus craptastic roads.

I think technically I'm in the country. We've had turkeys at our bird feeder nearly every morning this month, however it's been a while since I've seen our bear. I have 4 acres of woods and then everyone else around me has similar amounts of acreage out back there; I have a seasonal stream next to my house and a rock wall next to my driveway that is home to a number of rodents. All very beautiful but a bit more than I was expecting, as I only moved a few miles to this location.

I have never had any issues with animals but maybe it’s different depending where a person lives ( I don’t live in the country ). If I had a garage, I would use it a lot ( keeps the snow off ) but not a heated down town one ( lots in colder cities downtown ) if I could avoid it if parking there everyday for work. It activates the salt.
So the car is your master then? In the end a car is a tool to transport things. It's sole purpose being built was to serve whoever owns it. I love cars, and prioritize taking care of whatever I currently own. But I have limits.

It's like buying and entry way rug and taking your shoes off outside to keep it clean.

So the car is your master then? In the end a car is a tool to transport things. It's sole purpose being built was to serve whoever owns it. I love cars, and prioritize taking care of whatever I currently own. But I have limits.

It's like buying and entry way rug and taking your shoes off outside to keep it clean.

Where I live, rust is major issue and it IS the Main factor how long a car lasts ( or looks good enough to keep for some ).

I don’t want unnecessary car expenses to have control over my life. Paid off vehicles that last a long time in top shape are a priority for me and some people.

My wife works downtown ( pre pandemic ) and has to pay for her own parking. Their is underground heated parking right in her building but she parks her car 5 minutes away in an outdoor lot. Now, if it’s a day with lots of snow, of coarse she would Park inside. If it’s a rally cold day with wind blowing, why not save your skin and park inside.

I have over 300,000 miles on my 2012 Civic .....that’s way more use than the average driver. My car serves me. I could take public transit on days off to “save its use” but I obviously don’t. I could even take bus to work but I use my car.

people worried About wearing it out would not drive it as much.

But, I don’t want it to rust out prematurely.

No salt here in eastern NC. Might snow once a year at most even then no salt, just slip 'n slide on the road. When I see a vehicle with rust it almost always has northern state tags. Used to live near Chicago, couldn't wait to escape to the south. 36 years later, I'd never dream of returning there except to go to Wrigley field in the summer.

View attachment 45253

I purchased my ‘15 Legacy from a former NC’er three years ago and there wasn’t a spot of rust anywhere on the undercarriage. It was Way cleaner than our ‘14 FXT and still is. I always thought I had to look farther south for a clean vehicle, but that’s not true. I think the Mid-Atlantic used vehicles are just as good farther south and likely cheaper to get.

My next used car will be from either Texas or Florida (family down there). I like to buy cheap older cars, work on them, and drive them till it’s too embarrassing to be seen in them. But 10 year old cars don’t have much life left in them up in the salty north. I can’t wait for my next rust free souther car!

My next used car will be from either Texas or Florida (family down there). I like to buy cheap older cars, work on them, and drive them till it’s too embarrassing to be seen in them. But 10 year old cars don’t have much life left in them up in the salty north. I can’t wait for my next rust free souther car!
Problem for me is we are not allowed ( Condo ) to work on cars in the parking lot and I don’t have any space to store tools.

If I was handy at turning wrenches and had the tools ( and didn’t live in a Condo ) , I would do it.

I envy mechanically inclined people.

Problem for me is we are not allowed ( Condo ) to work on cars in the parking lot and I don’t have any space to store tools.

If I was handy at turning wrenches and had the tools ( and didn’t live in a Condo ) , I would do it.

I envy mechanically inclined people.
Funny thing is, I live in a mobile home, can’t wrench there either. I do however have a rented-out self storage area. I do work in there. I am not sure if I am technically allowed to work there, but I put covers under the car so no oil leaks stain the concrete. Only works if you have a spare working car though lol.

Funny thing is, I live in a mobile home, can’t wrench there either. I do however have a rented-out self storage area. I do work in there. I am not sure if I am technically allowed to work there, but I put covers under the car so no oil leaks stain the concrete. Only works if you have a spare working car though lol.
Its sure cheaper if you can work on your own cars but even better if you actually enjoy it.

My wife’s GF husband just recently retired from the Air Force as technician but he hates working on cars despite owning all the tools as person would ever need. He assigned the vehicle maintenance responsibility to his soccer mom wife ( keep track of when cars should go in for service at dealer ) and they ended up ruining an engine because the timing belt wore out way past when it should have been replaced.

she ended up buying a brand new vehicle versus a much cheaper repair job.

expensive owner neglect.

you would be surprised the amount of people that don't know a fan belt from a timing belt... They see a belt has been changed on an invoice and assume it's the timing belt when you bring up it's past due.

That reminds me of people who say they won't warm their vehicle up in the winter before driving it because they think it causes some kind of premature wear on the engine (which it doesn't). I do, but it isn't for the vehicle's benefit. I do it because I like getting into a warm interior with clear windows (without scraping). The vehicle exists to serve me, not the other way around...

Where I live, it’s a joke to let you car idle so it will be easier to ”scape” your windshield. You either have frost or ice on the windshield ( or snow which comes off easy ). For frost , buy the best windshield fluid ( harder on blades though ), start the car and turn on the wipers ( spray ) and that’s it. No scraping required or waiting. If it’s more than frost and its ice, your car won’t be able to melt it at idle unless it sits there an awefully long time and even then forget in many situations here. No way I am going out to start a car and go back in the house and wait.

People starting their cars waiting for them to warm up to remove ice..... reminds me of work. I would often land late from a flight and cars would be often covered in ice ( freezing rain or snow that had tuned into ice ). I would always park my car beside the outside washroom ( sink inside ) and carry an empty windshield washer container so I could fill it up with hot water and then pour it on the front windshield. I would start my car and be gone within minutes ( unless lots of snow on roof of Coarse ) while every other driver would be wasting time waiting for their cars to warm up ( it would never get warm enough ...ice over air intake too ) and out scraping away. Many even ( smart phone auto start app ) started their cars just after landing and would still be scraping when I left. I have never cracked the windshield doing that.

I don’t drive with snow on the roof of my car.

Last edited:
Where I live, it’s a joke to let you car idle so it will be easier to ”scape” your windshield. You either have frost or ice on the windshield ( or snow which comes off easy ). For frost , buy the best windshield fluid ( harder on blades though ), start the car and turn on the wipers ( spray ) and that’s it. No scraping required or waiting. If it’s more than frost and its ice, your car won’t be able to melt it at idle unless it sits there an awefully long time and even then forget in many situations here. No way I am going out to start a car and go back in the house and wait.

People starting their cars waiting for them to warm up to remove ice..... reminds me of work. I would often land late from a flight and cars would be often covered in ice ( freezing rain or snow that had tuned into ice ). I would always park my car beside the outside washroom ( sink inside ) and carry an empty windshield washer container so I could fill it up with hot water and then pour it on the front windshield. I would start my car and be gone within minutes ( unless lots of snow on roof of Coarse ) while every other driver would be wasting time waiting for their cars to warm up ( it would never get warm enough ...ice over air intake too ) and out scraping away. Many even ( smart phone auto start app ) started their cars just after landing and would still be scraping when I left. I have never cracked the windshield doing that.

I don’t drive with snow on the roof of my car.
I’ve heard of windshields getting cracked from this practice, so I’ve always been afraid to do it.

I’ve heard of windshields getting cracked from this practice, so I’ve always been afraid to do it.
Never cracked the windshield and been doing it every winter ( when heavy freezing rain only ) for over 26 years. You cannot just pour hot tap water on a cold windshield. I pour it over the ice. Its for Severe ice.

My wife thinks it’s crazy but, ironically, she has a bad habit of scraping too hard and has damaged the seals around the windshield near the ( when roof covered by snow and ice ) roof.

My car had over 300,000 miles, same windshield. Many need a new windshield just from road rock chips at that milage or a repair if minor. Not mine.

Last edited:
Back