Salt

Salt is no big deal. I have tons of quarters in my cars and $1.50 gets me a self spray each week. I like 4 seasons and a strong economy. It makes it easy to replace rusty cars!

Salt and other corrosive chemicals are not necessary. I lived in North Dakota for almost 12 years. There they put down sand, I'm guessing they use this because salt and the other chemicals used in the Midwest are not effective there because it gets so cold. However, sand made the roads safe to drive on. The snow there would become like a pavement on top of the pavement and the sand gave vehicles traction. It was much less corrosive (if it was corrosive at all) than the salt and other chemicals...

North Dakota uses salt and other such de-icers. Not just sand. I spent most of my life in ND & MN. Cars get destroyed up there within 15 years from rust.

Way to push your own opinion as fact. The same roads that 80,000 lbs trucks rumble down don't do any damage, huh? It's just the studded tires. Whatever.....
My own opinion? I didn't write the article. Way to push your own opinion, too I guess. Have some coffee and enjoy your day.

I do not understand why people choose to live in that environment plus the states destroy you're cars by the time they are paid off. Here are 2 shots I just took. My 02 jeep and 87 f250
I'd rather live in eastern Iowa than California, no offense. By my math on cost of living in CA, I can replace several cars for the cost of living difference here in the midwest... On top of that my wife and I have discovered the midwest is an excellent place to raise a family. We moved here 15 years ago from Canada due to a job transfer.

Just my $0.02

North Dakota uses salt and other such de-icers. Not just sand. I spent most of my life in ND & MN. Cars get destroyed up there within 15 years from rust.
I lived there from '82 to '94 and that entire time they did not use any salt, or any other de-icers on the roads...maybe they do now, but they didn't then...

Way to push your own opinion as fact. The same roads that 80,000 lbs trucks rumble down don't do any damage, huh? It's just the studded tires. Whatever.....
Semis are harder on the roads than anything, with climate being a close 2nd...studded snow tires are way down on the list...

Well my son DEMANDED I wash the salt off the truck today... apparently everyone else had the same idea!
In keeping with the spirit of the thread...I’m planning on washing mine tomorrow. Got another 4 inches of snow yesterday and we got ourselves a nice new coating of salt to go along with it.

Attachments

• FAB01710-CF44-4963-9DD9-F9021D53B654.jpeg
    FAB01710-CF44-4963-9DD9-F9021D53B654.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 4CC6A5DD-2137-41A2-8994-44BC01CD20A1.jpeg
    4CC6A5DD-2137-41A2-8994-44BC01CD20A1.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 13
I lived there from '82 to '94 and that entire time they did not use any salt, or any other de-icers on the roads...maybe they do now, but they didn't then...

Pretty sure they were using salt in the 90s. My first black car was white most of the winter. Sand was used, but so was de-icer. At least in FM area.

Semis are harder on the roads than anything, with climate being a close 2nd...studded snow tires are way down on the list...
Yeah, never said they weren't. Just said studded damage more than non-studded. They also have worse handling in non-ice conditions (if the articles I've read are true).

Oil well wastewater for 40 years on some ND roads. Also now use like sugar beet juice I think and other weird waste. But if you were in a smaller town, they might not have.

Bismarck ND Tribune. Salt water on roads since 1963 🤷‍♂️

"to melt ice and snow on roads - mostly in the western part of the state - since 1963"

I seriously think that it is probably better to just let the salt sit on the vehicle until you expect a week or more of clear weather. Is it better to rinse the salt off every three days or so, only to have it covered again the next day? High pressure washing might even be worse - blasting salty water into tiny nooks and crannies where it may not get rinsed out. And, the more often you touch the paint with all that grit on it, the more damage occurs with micro scratches.

I really think that frequent winter washing is a feel-good type of activity. If you apply my logic above (faulty?), it might be worse for the car, just like parking it in a heated garage is worse. Just my two cents.

Late EDIT: My current near 8-year-old car gets Krowned annually. So far, I am generally pleased with it. Not perfection, time will tell.

I generally agree. Being overly proactive with it, while maybe feeling good, is imo a fools errand. If you haven’t prepped the car before the salt starts, it’s already having an effect. At that point, wasting resources to get it off, just to have it come back, isn’t much other than a big use of time and resources.

It pains me to say that, but I don’t see an alternative. Salt stinks. They use too much of it. People drive too fast and aggressive in bad weather because of the crutch it provides. It rots your car.

Being proactive is key...

Bismarck ND Tribune. Salt water on roads since 1963 🤷‍♂️

"to melt ice and snow on roads - mostly in the western part of the state - since 1963"
Maybe the east side of the state didn't use this stuff. I was in Grand Forks...I think I remember them using beet juice, but that stuff isn't corrosive...

Maybe the east side of the state didn't use this stuff. I was in Grand Forks...I think I remember them using beet juice, but that stuff isn't corrosive...
Salt mixed in sand in Fargo since...at least the 80s. So, yes, A LOT of sand, but they mixed salt in with it. Air force? Odd you were there for 10ish years. That's too short for people that like ND and too long for people who have options to live elsewhere 😉

Salt mixed in sand in Fargo since...at least the 80s. So, yes, A LOT of sand, but they mixed salt in with it. Air force? Odd you were there for 10ish years. That's too short for people that like ND and too long for people who have options to live elsewhere 😉
Yes, I was in the AF, and I wasn't there because I liked it. I didn't have the option to move to another base until I retrained into a new career field...

I seriously think that it is probably better to just let the salt sit on the vehicle until you expect a week or more of clear weather. Is it better to rinse the salt off every three days or so, only to have it covered again the next day? High pressure washing might even be worse - blasting salty water into tiny nooks and crannies where it may not get rinsed out. And, the more often you touch the paint with all that grit on it, the more damage occurs with micro scratches.

I really think that frequent winter washing is a feel-good type of activity. If you apply my logic above (faulty?), it might be worse for the car, just like parking it in a heated garage is worse. Just my two cents.

Late EDIT: My current near 8-year-old car gets Krowned annually. So far, I am generally pleased with it. Not perfection, time will tell.
If you drive your vehicle on roads covered with salt, or some other form of ice melt, it's already getting into every nook and cranny on you vehicle. The best thing you can do is try to rinse away as much of it a possible. I take my vehicle through the touchless car washes that have an undercarriage spray as often as necessary to keep as much rinsed away as possible...spraying the stuff with high pressure will do more good than harm...

I generally agree. Being overly proactive with it, while maybe feeling good, is imo a fools errand. If you haven’t prepped the car before the salt starts, it’s already having an effect. At that point, wasting resources to get it off, just to have it come back, isn’t much other than a big use of time and resources.

It pains me to say that, but I don’t see an alternative. Salt stinks. They use too much of it. People drive too fast and aggressive in bad weather because of the crutch it provides. It rots your car.

Being proactive is key...
I think the preparation before winter even starts, and periodic checks during winter, are best. I'll fluid film it before winter and when I do maintenance I'll do some touchups underneath. I do wash my car once a week or so just to give it a little spray underneath and get the salt off the paint but I realize it's pointless to an extent. At the very least I get salt off to keep it off my clothes when I rub up against it when I get in and out of the car.

I would definitely rust proof my car if living anywhere they use salt if I could. If no rustproofing available , I would wash my car ( under side upgrade wash ) on a regular basis in the winter.

Not all rustproofing is the same and not all places have staff who do a thorough job.

I would never park my car inside a heated garage if I could avoid it ( work etc ).

Back