Salt

Past three weeks in New England have been absolutely brutal in terms of salt/brime. Just a few random photos of relatively newer vehicles in the shop. Most of these cars/trucks won’t see the lifespan of a vehicle from Texas (or most places out of the salt belt).

I envy all of you NOT living in the salt belt.
2EB4BDCD-7E87-42A2-B8B0-75A02873DE08.jpeg
53259FDF-314A-4538-870B-2B112E29C7D8.jpeg
F811CE79-43E1-48EA-A02A-9CB1F4876C23.jpeg
9D4C5F18-F4BD-4FD2-8531-4E89B5FB563F.jpeg
26A193B7-99E0-4339-8312-A0E7390DACE3.jpeg

Is that not your car? Why not undercoat it. Undercoating is not perfect, but slows the aging quite substantiallly.

Yeah it's been brutal but it's also nice it all came at once. Then when it's over we'll wash it and be hunky dory again.

Wet salt at near 32'F is worse for your body rust than dry caked stuff.

Is that not your car? Why not undercoat it. Undercoating is not perfect, but slows the aging quite substantiallly.
No it’s not my car...I undercoat my cars twice a year (once in June and then the other at the end of November).

Even then? Yeah, it’s very tough to win. I’m washing my car once a week right now...spraying the salt off the undercarriage. Any little bit I think helps. This is my wheel well 12 hours and 30 miles after I rinsed out these wheel wells.

4BB2AFAD-AA8D-49DA-92A1-4F0F115103B8.jpeg

Yeah it's been brutal but it's also nice it all came at once. Then when it's over we'll wash it and be hunky dory again.

Wet salt at near 32'F is worse for your body rust than dry caked stuff.
I want to say it was a day last week where the temps got around 35 and the roads were just soaked in a thaw. I was thinking...wow this is even worse, this salty water is just being sprayed right into the undercarriage for miles and miles, hours of use.

Next week the forecast is snow, then snow, then snow. A day off from snow...then two more days of snow! Haha. We’re stuck in a little rut now.

I do not understand why people choose to live in that environment plus the states destroy you're cars by the time they are paid off.
I was born and raised here, I can’t leave now and relocate, but as soon as I retire? I’m out of here. My home heating bill is $500-$700 a month. Be nice to be rid of that (and the salt).

I was born and raised here, I can’t leave now and relocate, but as soon as I retire? I’m out of here. My home heating bill is $500-$700 a month. Be nice to be rid of that (and the salt).
Life costs what it costs. Houses are (were?) cheaper up here compared to more temperate places but the rest of that money goes to heat and replacing rusted-out cars.

I do not understand why people choose to live in that environment plus the states destroy you're cars by the time they are paid off.
Really?

You live in the desert, in a high tax state. With few employment options, as you’ve posted. No good jobs. Hot. Dry. Dusty. High taxes.

Why do you choose to live there? Why not move to where you can get a good job, or avoid the heat of summer?

Is your decision to live there solely because your car won’t rust? Seems pretty minor compared with environment, employment, and taxes.

Dang! This year I will spend about $600 for propane that we use for heat and cooking. In the summer our electric bill is about $200 per month. The bill includes coolers as well as my well pump.

Really?

You live in the desert, in a high tax state. With few employment options, as you’ve posted. No good jobs. Hot. Dry. Dusty. High taxes.

Why do you choose to live there? Why not move to where you can get a good job, or avoid the heat of summer?

Is your decision to live there solely because your car won’t rust? Seems pretty minor compared with environment, employment, and taxes.
Ya it's not perfect but my bills are paid. I like the heat. 95F is fine. We get a few days over 100 that are pretty hot but not many normally. Last summer was kinda unpleasant though. Gas is over taxed but I don't normally go far. 2.2 miles to work and 7 to the store and post office.

Paint on cars is my issue. It is always baking off. But that can be fixed much easier than a frame with holes in it.

My point wasn’t to knock Apple Valley, or CA when I listed the negatives of your situation, Chris. Point is: people choose to live in places for a variety of reasons. Job, family, history, climate.

Many move to an area because of a career. Many stay where they grew up and have family nearby. Many people can’t take the heat. Or the cold. Many choose to be near things they enjoy; hiking, skiing, the beach.

There are pros and cons to every clime and place. I happen to like the desert, Scottsdale, for example, or Reno. I’ve lived in, or been deployed to, about every climate you can imagine. They all have different merits.

Even on BITOG, people choose where to live for reasons other than the impact of road salt on cars.

I dislike the kind of post that says, “the place you live sucks”. That’s, at best, myopic, and at worst, well...

Rust from salt in roads is one of the costs of living in snow country, or places where it only snows occasionally but they put down lots of salt early and often "just in case"

I do not understand why people choose to live in that environment plus the states destroy you're cars by the time they are paid off. Here are 2 shots I just took. My 02 jeep and 87 f250
$ The Boston area is a fruitful place to work and has had steady growth for decades. The biotech and technology industries rival anywhere in the world.

For me, I like the cold/winter. I like to ski, ice fish & winter camp or take the sleds out and can't imagine living in an area that doesn't have snow in the winter. I'm a wood hound too and burn most of the winter. We filled the oil tank back in Sept and we just filled again last week. Not too shabby.

The only penalty I pay is drive time as I live in W.Mass, whether it's a site inside 95/128 or in Boston. I do have a company car though and gas is covered for work and personal use. I feel very fortunate in that regard.
My 2012 F150 only has about 70K miles on it and looks good as I use Fluid Film before the snow flies.

As an auto enthusiast, I do envy the Cali/Southern guys. No salt, no rot. Drive your rod any time of the year.

My point wasn’t to knock Apple Valley, or CA when I listed the negatives of your situation, Chris. Point is: people choose to live in places for a variety of reasons. Job, family, history, climate.

Many move to an area because of a career. Many stay where they grew up and have family nearby. Many people can’t take the heat. Or the cold. Many choose to be near things they enjoy; hiking, skiing, the beach.

There are pros and cons to every clime and place. I happen to like the desert, Scottsdale, for example, or Reno. I’ve lived in, or been deployed to, about every climate you can imagine. They all have different merits.

Even on BITOG, people choose where to live for reasons other than the impact of road salt on cars.

I dislike the kind of post that says, “the place you live sucks”. That’s, at best, myopic, and at worst, well...
Understood. I don't mean come off arragant. At least in my area we can pay off our car and drive it a few years with no car note. Buying over priced alcohol laiden gas with cracked dashes and no paint. Lol

I do not understand why people choose to live in that environment plus the states destroy you're cars by the time they are paid off. Here are 2 shots I just took. My 02 jeep and 87 f250
The same reason people choose not to live in an area where if something isn't bolted down it gets stolen.

Really?

Astro raises an excellent point. I live in an area of NY and I despise the 17k a year in taxes I have to pay for a 3 acre home. Garbage is private (paid by you!). There is no public sewer to connect to and on the mountain where we are there is no gas line to offer as a heating source. Oil or propane. I have oil heat and propane for 16kw gen, dryer, and cooktop.

Unfortunately, we are a state suffering under draconian social policies. I retired this past December. I'm free to up and run! Why haven't I? The main reason is I am a single dad with 3 kids (9 girl, 13, boy, about to be 15 boy). Ok, they wouldn't be the first kids to have to adjust to a move. Stability is important though. Especially the mess my kids went through with mom. The reason to stay is mostly for the kids. As much as NY has some serious issues you are hard pressed to find an area that offers greater opportunity than greater Hudson Valley down through Westchester and although NYC took a massive hit, there are still a tremendous number of good job opportunities for those qualified.

I have done a lot of research on where to move to and my decision, at least of now is to remain in NY and see where the kids end up in professional life. I'm hoping they won't be too far and one of em wants to have a family in the home we have now. If so I'll take a basement room and we keep the home. I placed a NH avatar on my sig as I find Lincoln NH the retirement town for me. Tough decision between Lincoln NH and Northeast Kingdon VT (East Burke) but NH offers so much more.

Short of this winded response, opportunity means a lot.

Salt also depends on the car. The 06 Sentra has not been rust proofed or really had undercarriage washes and has rust but nothing to complain of. It should be fine for 210k and 4-5 more years.

Back