Returning a car to the dealership - is this possible?

He still hasn't indicated whether he has even talked to the dealership yet.
I have spoken to the dealership and they are unwilling to assist (only if we trade on something else...at a loss on what we paid, of course).

Last night I realized the Fit has a remaining 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty remaining through Honda with a 0 deductible until late 2023.
That's almost appealing enough to consider keeping it....but we won't, because it's a Fit

It's already listed for sale and I've received offers very close to what we paid (thankfully).
For a person to purchase this car from me, they'd be getting a better warranty AND be saving on the documentation fee...and pay less than through a dealer

Overall, I think we've come out OK

We occasionally took a used car back. It worked this way: a person buys the car at retail, we appraise it for a trade in, they lose the difference. 99% of the time they ended up keeping the car, because to lose thousands in a few days, or less was a bitter pill to swallow.

In this day and age with all the research available, anyone should be able to know exactly what they need and want before going to any dealerships. Buyers can develop a short list of vehicles and shop those vehicles specifically.

I don’t want to pile on the OP here but you are in charge, Not the dealer or the salesperson. You should know exactly what you want and what a good price is before you start looking.

I hope it works out.

Dealers do it all the time. They're called demos.

Thats right. They are called demos instead of "new" for reason. Thats my point exactly. Its absurd to think a returned car that has been bought and driven away could be returned later and expect the dealership to happily take it back as still brand new and try to sell it as brand new. No one here would accept that car at a brand new price from any dealership. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
We occasionally took a used car back. It worked this way: a person buys the car at retail, we appraise it for a trade in, they lose the difference. 99% of the time they ended up keeping the car, because to lose thousands in a few days, or less was a bitter pill to swallow.

The OP said "the car is fine" and has "just been sitting in the garage", but he seems to think the dealership should just take it back and cancel the deal like nothing happened. Ain't gonna happen that way. The car is now used.

This gave me a headache just thinking about it. A few months ago I saw a Hyundai Palasade at the local Kia dealer. What did they do"oh gee, I just purchased a new car and decided to trade it in on the identical car but with a better grill--even though it's gonna cost me thousands." What's the matter with people?

The OP said "the car is fine" and has "just been sitting in the garage", but he seems to think the dealership should just take it back and cancel the deal like nothing happened. Ain't gonna happen that way. The car is now used.
Correct, it ain't gonna happen. But what I stated is how we handled it. I used the term used car, because as soon as the car rolls off the lot with plates on it, it is a used car. I sold a guy a new Grand Vitara, he wanted to return it the following day. We had the used car guy appraise the car. I think we offered him about 5 grand less than he paid for it the day before. One or twice we actually completed the deal. Bottom line, make **** sure you want the car before pulling the trigger.

I thought OP bought a used Fit?
Not sure, but in all honesty it doesn't matter. A new car becomes used once it's delivered and tagged, and a used car is used. Either way returning a car is a very costly venture, unless you have in writing the agreed upon terms for "returning a car."

It was used when I bought it. It's still a used car...
I think you missed my point. Even if you bought it new, once you took title and rolled it off the lot, even 1/10 of a mile off the lot, it turned from a new to a used car.

Back to your guestion. They very well may take it back, odds are for a lot less than you paid for it. That's how the car business works. We'd appraise it and give you a lot less than you paid. They're in business to make money, not friends unfortunately. OTOH, you might get lucky, try returning it and see what happens. You won't know until you try. Good luck.

If this was a Tesla, you’d be getting offers above what you paid for it, the premium being the privilege of not having to “hassle” with Tesla (the latter is my take lol)

Are some of you reading the actual thread before posting? The car was bought USED, not new. This was mentioned/implied multiple times...The OP stating the car was to be returned used was misleading/confusing, so: from post #29 out of my post #55:

I think since it still has some manufacturer warranty remaining, it'll help with the resale process.

Also, the OP is leading us to believe he's going to sell the car for close to what he paid for it at a dealer. o_O

I'm starting to question this whole thread; I'm beginning to think the OP is trolling us. (I miss the old emojis :sigh: )

We're ALL still waiting to hear the details of the, "purchased it out of spite (long story)" story....

Last edited:
Also, the OP is leading us to believe he's going to sell the car for close to what he paid for it at a dealer. o_O
Yes, this is true....I did not plan it this way, but that's how it's turning out.

I knew the car was underpriced when I bought it from the dealer (lower than others in the area).
What I did not know, is that it has a warranty worth about 2K when purchased from the Honda dealership (the selling dealership also did not know this - or maybe that's why they tried selling me their own warranty).

Regardless, that's 3 years of trouble-free motoring for the next owner :cool:

Demos are usually discounted .

And they'll say it's a new car because it hasn't been titled. Dealers also let perspective buyers take cars home overnight all the time before purchase. If they don't buy, it gets sold at exactly the same price as one right off the truck. Also the scenario of someone with spotty credit not being able to be financed after the car is delivered. Most people don't care about a couple hundred miles.

To give you an idea how big of a hit you can get. We had a customer trade in an 8 month old Tesla model X as they were told it was a " heavyduty" offroad vehicle. The guy lived up on the mountains and had a long unpaved driveway. He paid $140,000 we gave him $90,000 for it.

This happened to me on the Caravan. I called dealer to let them know the Caravan was priced wrong as they cost considerably more elsewhere. (Listed for 19k with 3k). I just knew I didn't want a Caravan as well as financing would be a problem with sales manager telling me come pick it up. I laughed and hung up then he called back to see why I didn't show up which I told him yea right. I went ahead with the game of you want to waste my time I will waste yours then 2 hours later I told him see you later. He stopped me to have me sign papers which I never test drove or even looked at van up close. I drove home figuring I would keep for couple of years then trade in after I get out of being upside down. Well 2 years later and I absolutely love it thanking the Lord everyday for the blessing he afforded me. Also got good financing as well.

Back