Returning a car to the dealership - is this possible?

I did it once. A 1998 Ford Contour. Dealership was pretty nice about it I only put 200 miles on the car. I think I did pay about a $250 fee not a big deal really.

I had three of those through the years when they were manufactured. One with the 4 cylinder and two with the Duratec 2.5 V6. The ones with the V6s were great cars-I used them for business (outside sales).

I had three of those through the years when they were manufactured. One with the 4 cylinder and two with the Duratec 2.5 V6. The ones with the V6s were great cars-I used them for business (outside sales).
I had one for 8 years, had the 2.5 V6. I liked the Duratec so much that I went up one step and got the Taurus 3.0 Duratec V6 for 12 years. Too bad Ford is getting rid of their sedans.

I think Fits are nice little cars. If I bought one, it wouldn't be out of spite.

I have terrible buyers remorse. I'll make myself physically ill thinking about a large purchase like that. I have to impulse buy.

I think Fits are nice little cars. If I bought one, it wouldn't be out of spite.
Despite what others in this thread say, they are a refined, well-designed and well-built small car (which is the reason for their premium in the used market).

We've had a few seriously interested so far and I can honestly say I'm starting to rethink selling it.
It's bought and paid for in cash, fully loaded and a great city runabout car (we live in a large major city with lots of curvy, winding roads where this car thrives).

It certainly won't win any stoplight races but the lighweight, nimble feel with precise 6 speed manual shifter and smooth inline 4 will be sorely missed :(

Despite what others in this thread say, they are a refined, well-designed and well-built small car (which is the reason for their premium in the used market).

We've had a few seriously interested so far and I can honestly say I'm starting to rethink selling it.
It's bought and paid for in cash, fully loaded and a great city runabout car (we live in a large major city with lots of curvy, winding roads where this car thrives).

It certainly won't win any stoplight races but the lighweight, nimble feel with precise 6 speed manual shifter and smooth inline 4 will be sorely missed :(

So that means you're not going to answer how you bought it out of spite?

Translation-They are not giving me what I paid for it.
Nobody said they were not well built cars...however if you call "refined" being able to use in the city and not anywhere else I guess you can say that. They are a TERRIBLE highway cruiser -this has been mentioned time and time again. They are a well refined penalty box.

There is so much as the OP you are telling us.................

Last edited:
Nobody said they were not well built cars...however if you call "refined" being able to use in the city and not anywhere else I guess you can say that. They are a TERRIBLE highway cruiser -this has been mentioned time and time again. They are a well refined penalty box.

Where do people come up with this stuff? Only in this country do people equate size with comfort, and you need a rolling BarcaLounger to achieve that. I've driven the 1000 miles down to Florida and back in many small cars, including 1st Gen Honda Fit, 1st Gen Honda Insight, VW Fox and a Smart Car, and never felt as if I needed something bigger.

Where do people come up with this stuff? Only in this country do people equate size with comfort, and you need a rolling BarcaLounger to achieve that. I've driven the 1000 miles down to Florida and back in many small cars, including 1st Gen Honda Fit, 1st Gen Honda Insight, VW Fox and a Smart Car, and never felt as if I needed something bigger.
Then you must feel you don't need to drive anything remotely comfortable.

All of the above cars were perfectly comfortable to me, but then, I probably prefer to feel the road when steering instead of being isolated from it, and prefer to take a corner at speed without feeling like I'm about to roll over.

I have to agree with others. Small cars have their place (city and local driving), but longer trips at elevated speeds is NOT where they shine. I drove a 2nd gen Fit for a while, only a couple of hours at a time and didn’t like it very much at only 60-70 MPH.

My wife and I stupidly drove her ‘08 Civic LX 20 hrs down to FL and I hated every minute of it; it was NOT worth the gas or rental savings. Even in the middle of the night, with empty highway before and behind us, I felt like I was expending extra energy just to keep it straight while exceeding the 70 MPH speed limit. I’m sure the additional noise didn’t help either.

We drove our Legacy down to FL this past year and it was almost an enjoyable road trip, even with two little ones in car seats. What a difference. If you didn’t know, no Subaru can ever be considered a luxury vehicle. It’s simply that it’s long wheel base and larger cabin make for a better cruiser.

Again, I‘ll say that I REALLY liked the Fit I drove...in the city. It wasn’t desirable for driving even a couple of hours on the highway, but I’d say I wouldnt mind it for my current 11 miles commute. Anywhere faster and or farther? No, thanks.

I actually considered a Fit as my DD, but safety and price won out. I got my ‘15 Legacy three years ago for just under $16k, with 100k warranty and a previously NC title

Last edited:
I have to agree with others. Small cars have their place (city and local driving), but longer trips at elevated speeds is NOT where they shine. I drove a 2nd gen Fit for a while, only a couple of hours at a time and didn’t like it very much at only 60-70 MPH.

My wife and I stupidly drove her ‘08 Civic LX 20 hrs down to FL and I hated every minute of it; it was NOT worth the gas or rental savings. Even in the middle of the night, with empty highway before and behind us, I felt like I was expending extra energy just to keep it straight while exceeding the 70 MPH speed limit. I’m sure the additional noise didn’t help either.

We drove our Legacy down to FL this past year and it was almost an enjoyable road trip, even with two little ones in car seats. What a difference. If you didn’t know, no Subaru can ever be considered a luxury vehicle. It’s simply that it’s long wheel base and larger cabin make for a better cruiser.

Again, I‘ll say that I REALLY liked the Fit I drove...in the city. It wasn’t desirable for driving even a couple of hours on the highway, but I’d say I wouldnt mind it for my current 11 miles commute. Anywhere faster and or farther? No, thanks.

I actually considered a Fit as my DD, but safety and price won out. I got my ‘15 Legacy three years ago for just under $16k, with 100k warranty and a previously NC title

I had a Subaru Legacy-it had very bad paint issues-but the ride even on the highway was acceptable. It's certainly not a penalty box.

I felt like I was expending extra energy just to keep it straight while exceeding the 70 MPH speed limit.

Sounds like your tires might have been out of balance or suspension worn if you can't keep it straight. Drove my Smart down and back at 75-80 in 15 hours straight. No more tiring than any other car I drove.

large.jpg

Sounds like your tires might have been out of balance or suspension worn if you can't keep it straight. Drove my Smart down and back at 75-80 in 15 hours straight. No more tiring than any other car I drove.

large.jpg

Nope, relatively new tires with new alignment. Anyone who compares a small car to a larger car at 70+ MPH for long periods of time will attest to this. Again, this was 10+ hours into a 20-hour drive, not around the block in a Smart-4-no one. :p

All of the above cars were perfectly comfortable to me, but then, I probably prefer to feel the road when steering instead of being isolated from it, and prefer to take a corner at speed without feeling like I'm about to roll over.
Yep-nothing like cutting corners in a Smart Car-I guess that why they sold a bunch of them................

Yep-nothing like cutting corners in a Smart Car-I guess that why they sold a bunch of them................
HAHA. At least they were around here a bit longer than the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car, de Ville, etc. luxo-barges that Detroit put out. Those dinosaurs died off after 2012. Smarts were here until 2019 and are still made for other markets.

HAHA. At least they were around here a bit longer than the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car, de Ville, etc. luxo-barges that Detroit put out. Those dinosaurs died off after 2012. Smarts were here until 2019 and are still made for other markets.

Wut?

The Panther was the longest running platform in North American automotive history, it was produced for 33 consecutive model years. By 2012 when it reached end of production the FourTwo was six years into its 2nd platform already.

In 22 years and three platforms, there have been a few more than 1.7 million FourTwo's sold.
In 33 years on the same platform there were more than 9.6 million Panther cars sold.

Still a few hold out Crown Vics, Townies and Grand Marquis around in the odd police force, but mostly taxi and limo service.

Then you must feel you don't need to drive anything remotely comfortable.

As someone 6'6", let me tell you that in my experience, the smaller the car the more comfortable the "cockpit". I have driven the Fiat 500's hundreds of miles on a vacation, Corollas, various Kia, Mazda and whatever else thrown at me. No problem on long, multi-hour drives. I have found some larger vehicles to be worse in terms of driving position and comfort, as more priority is given to the back seat and trunk space than driving position. As far as handling and fatigue between smaller and larger vehicles? Zero difference. I notice aerodynamic influences more than anything (drag, crosswind effects, etc...).

Comfort =/= size of vehicle. You don't need a large SUV or truck to be 'comfortable', that's for sure.

Back