Returning a car to the dealership - is this possible?

Recently my wife and I have purchased a Honda Fit Oct 31st.
Honestly, we really didn't like the car, but purchased it out of spite (long story).

Anyway, is there a way of returning a used car to a dealership after we've purchased it?
The car is fine, but after realizing what we've purchased, we realized our mistake (doesn't fit out needs)....har har har
Since then the car has been sitting in our garage since we brought it home.
My wife is beside herself with anger and guilt for agreeing to the purchase.
I've contacted the salesperson (via telephone) who didn't seem too interested in taking it back...as the general manager and one sales manager wasn't interested in discussion.
Maybe a visit in person is in order?

Any help/input is appreciated

You will have to look up to see if your state has a cooling off period, you will need to get on top of that because typically it is very short period of time.

Buying a car out of spite and a car you didn't like before signing the paperwork? How does this even happen? I can see buying an area rug you didn't absolutely love in the store, but a freakin car?

its possible, but most likely you will lose a few thousand.

I would proceed instead into a conversation saying it doesnt meet our needs and we want a "insert other vehicle that dealer sells" and maybe they work with you.
random internet quote
sometimes the federal “cooling-off” rule gets tossed around when the discussion of whether you can return a car comes up, but that only applies to specific kinds of sales like ones made in your home by pushy door-to-door salesmen. The cooling-off rule does not apply to buyer’s remorse for cars sold at dealerships.

so basically unless your specific dealer has a return policy (some do usually around 72hrs) you are somewhere between pound sand.. and sure we will sell you a different car.

The dealer will have to sell it as used now so they will lose considerable $$$$

Reactions: JTK
Most states don't have a "cooling off period" for a car-used or new.

Yep-you bought one of the worst riding cars in it's class.

Not a lot of positive reviews on this vehicle.

Does the dealer sell new cars? Can you afford a new car? That could possibly be a way out.

They will take it back most likely but you will lose some money. They will still have your old car if you traded it in because they have to hold it for a certain period of time before they can do anything with it if not then they will have partial money most likely. Most give you a like it or hate it period which is usually 30-90 days but only a certain amount of miles.

Id say a lot of it depends on if you were going to buy another off their lot. That would be a big incentive for them to cut you slack. I used to work with a guy whose car died suddenly one day. Ya gotta keep oil in them they say. Next night he shows up with a new or nearly new Civic. Then a few days on he ran head on into the realities of dealing with kid seats:cry:. He ended up with an Accord from the same dealership by weeks end. Im not sure how he did it but didn't do any complaining about the deal. Whatever you end up doing be sure to SMILE a lot. You aren't exactly coming into this from a position of strength.

My SIL did a version of this once.
She did this while my BIL was out of town on business.
She had a '12 Accord coupe. Decided she needed a new car because the Accord had over 100K on it.
She walked into the local Honda dealer. She wanted a new two door Accord.
They had discontinued making them. She absolutely had to have a two door. Nothing else would do.
However, they had a two door Civic on the floor.
She went into negotiations on it. Ended up buying it without even a quick test drive.
Had it for 24 hours and absolutely hated it.
Went back to the dealer. Amazingly, they took it back. They hadn't even started the title process on it yet.
Ended up buying her '12 back for five grand more than she was given in trade.
Kept it until last year, when she found a used low mileage Accord coupe.
She is usually level headed, but when she goes off the rails, she does it big time.

Impossible to answer without knowing your state (and the one the car was bought in if different).

Is this a used car from a honda dealer or a used car dealer?

If there is a recision period i would be surprised if it is more than 3 days, so you better figure it out quick...

Please do elaborate on buying it out of spite, that is bound to be worth hearing...

Back