Rant: Why do people use garbage tires in snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was a holiday for my wife and me. She went to the gym in the morning while I surfed.
We then decided to go out and do a little shopping here and there.
We'd had maybe 3" of very dry snow, which stayed on the road because it was so cold, with a high of 10F today. For this reason, there was also no ice, it being too cold to allow any melting which could then freeze.
We got stuck behind a number of people who just couldn't get moving in the snow.
Whether they had badly worn tires or merely tires that weren't worth a darn when new I have no idea. I'm guessing that their driving skills may not have been up to the conditions as well, but anyone who lives here should know how to drive in snow.
We were on the Firestone Affinity Touring tires that came on the '02 Accord we were driving nearly new when I bought it. They are not bad at all in snow and are wearing like iron, but they are nothing special. With reasonable following disrances, I never even got into the ABS, as you shouldn't unless in a real emergency. ABS isn't for allowing you to drive faster, it's to save you in an emergency situation where steering combined with braking may allow you to avoid a collision.
My rant is twofold.
If you can't drive at a reasonable speed in winter conditions, then you should stay home or at least move aside and let other traffic by. Don't hold everybody else up.
If the problem is that you can't get any traction, while everyone around you is moving pretty well, then you either need to buy better tires or some new tires that have actual tread. Until that time, either stay home or pull off and let the rest of the traffic past.
To crawl at ten miles per hour and hold up everyone else is not acceptable, and this is what actually happened on some moderate hills.
The malafactors were driving two Toyotas, one a Corolla and the other a Camry. The Corolla driver had both the good grace and the good manners to drift into the center turn lane to allow other traffic by. The woman in the Camry couldn't seem to grasp this simple idea and stayed in the traffic lane, holding up a number of other drivers as well as creating an unsafe bunching of following traffic, although I maintained a safe distance behind the Avalon that was behind the Camry. The guy in the Escape behind me didn't get this and tailgated me hard. Ironically, when we finally came to a four lane section of road, the guy in the Escape whipped around me, with the name of a major multi-line insurer headquarted in Columbus emblazoned on its side.
I'm tempted to send an email, since this adjuster wasn't driving in either a safe or courteous manner, as would be appropriate when the name of your employer is stenciled on the side of the vehicle entrusted to your use.
Anyway, my wife and me both enjoyed the day. Part of the enjoyment was in our mutual appreciation of just how foolishly other people behave when driving.
You have to laugh.

There should be more shame in being a hazard to navigation. I can't fathom how someone would spend a couple grand for DVD/Satnav/Moonroof but then put sipe-less Ling Long tires on their ride.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There should be more shame in being a hazard to navigation. I can't fathom how someone would spend a couple grand for DVD/Satnav/Moonroof but then put sipe-less Ling Long tires on their ride.

That's because they have strange option packages on cars these days. To get a Navigation system you HAVE TO get the sunroof whether you want it or not.

Example-I wanted leather and an upgraded sound system when I purchased my Subaru Legacy. I had to get the sunroof. It's never been opened.

...and yet they do.
They may have the latest smart phone that does nothing my $99.00 Motarola Android can't do, but they buy the cheapest available tires for their cars.
I'm always amazed at the garbage brand tires I see on nice cars.
Misplaced priorities I guess.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

...and yet they do.
They may have the latest smart phone that does nothing my $99.00 Motarola Android can't do, but they buy the cheapest available tires for their cars.
I'm always amazed at the garbage brand tires I see on nice cars.
Misplaced priorities I guess.

That is because those people are cheap and have no attention to detail, nor do they have ability to see more than a month into the future.

It's because of priorities. Some people give higher priority to a vacation in Vegas than to basics of safe transportation. These same people never check the air pressure in their tires, or check anything under the hood until too late.

We can't all be Virgo's but some level of basic attention would be nice to legislate and ENFORCE.

given the state of the economy, it is a matter of priority for many. Food medicine, place to live over tires. Trip to Vegas is out of the question, Do not give me the get an education [censored], what if you have a normal IQ. What if you are over 50 You are not college material, or maybe even trade school material. Used to be jobs for normal hard working folks. Used to be jobs for those over 50. Those days are gone.

So why [censored] tires, to get to their [censored] job and maybe eat a little.

RANT Over.

Rod

Originally Posted By: John_K
Because you can't fix stupid.

John

But you can let it multiply...and we have...

Originally Posted By: CKN

That's because they have strange option packages on cars these days. To get a Navigation system you HAVE TO get the sunroof whether you want it or not.

Example-I wanted leather and an upgraded sound system when I purchased my Subaru Legacy. I had to get the sunroof. It's never been opened.

Its because they can lump gadgets into a monthly payment, but cant afford another $1000 on tires because CCs are maxed out.

Look how defensive people get on here when we talk poorly of payment based car buying, by finance or lease.

A decent set of tires for most cars won't run half of a grand.
We also all have access to a powerful research tool which allows us to find the right price/value ratio for our wants, needs and budget for anything we might need to buy.
It doesn't take a lot of savy to be an informed consumer these days.
All it takes is a little surfing.

I saw that today. People driving on bald tires. While talking on the phone.
Amazing were priorities are, the only thing between you and the road are tires and its a small patch.

That's all fine, but at least have the courtesy to let other traffic by as you struggle.
You'd expect the same of me on a nice July day when you're running late for that awful job and I'd move over for you as I would for anyone else intent on driving faster than I am.
The US economy is growing at a decent pace. It is too bad that we can't get back to the mid nineties though, when everyone who wanted a job had one and there were no debates about what the minmum wage should be because nobody was offered that little.
As unemployment declines and if growth continues, we may get there.

Those people obviously aren't BITOG members. We know better
laugh.gif

One year I had to sell a motorcycle in order to buy snow tires. Maybe they don't have a motorcycle to sell?

A lot of modern vehicles like pretty much most BMW's and Range Rovers come with summer rubber from the factory to make them handle like the sports cars they are not. So in the snow even with the latest AWD they are challenged.

A lot of elderly people get nervous as well. I was driving in snow drifts early this morning behind an elderly guy in a Sentra doing about 10, nervous as can be. I passed him on a straight section, I don't have time for it.

Lastly the vast majority of bad behavior you see is because of the none existent driver training in this country. Its not surprising that the two vehicles you saw were Toyota's, most of the people who buy them hate driving. As Clarkson said how can you be good at something you dislike? Unless the government forces them to learn, they will not.

I still think the US should adopt the German system for licensing and car inspections. Is it going to cost people? Sure but it will take the cars with the bald tires off the roads if the owners can't afford real rubber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We were on the Firestone Affinity Touring tires...

Quote:
Whether they had badly worn tires or merely tires that weren't worth a darn when new I have no idea.

So if they had $200 Michelins on their ride, would they have fared better? I highly doubt it. Your own tires are rated among the worst tires you can put on a vehicle, according to Tirerack user reviews. Yet you sound as if you had the best, most elite winter driving experience in all of Ohio.

I would venture to guess that unless these other drivers had little or no tread left, it boils down to driver skill and little else.

Where I live, the roads are chalk full of California and Texas transplants who are just plain TERRIBLE at driving in winter weather. Tires start to spin when you take off from a stop?? Mash the gas harder! More gas = mo' powah & faster acceleration, right? I see it all the time. This area is full of straight open highways, and these folks will do 25 miles per hour in a 65 mph zone as if their car is going to suddenly defy all laws of physics and spin into a ditch or fall off the road.

That old saying in high school--- an object in motion will stay in motion unless some other force is applied to it.. yada yada, needs to be taught to these imbeciles. If you don't make sudden moves and simply let the car drive straight, it will go straight! Be aware of your surroundings, plan ahead, give plenty of space because if you do need to stop or slow down, you have to have time.

It's really easy, but I shake my head in disbelief every time I'm out on the road with these idiots.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: John_K
Because you can't fix stupid.

John

But you can let it multiply...and we have...

Because we can't "fix" stupid!

You also don't have vehicle safety inspections in Ohio so people are driving around rust buckets with bald tires! I always see the rustiest cars in upstate NY and OH. last time I drove through Ohio, I saw a Corolla that the outer door skin on the LR door was so rusted I could see the window regulator, and a Mystique that the lady driving was about to fall through the floor on. I could literally see the driver's seat track I passed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back