People that shouldn't be driving

We do all kinds of things out of convenience in USA like let 16 year olds or elderly drive. We balance the risk vs costs(including time) dealing with transport especially in massive countries like Canada and USA.

If the public transport can vastly improve maybe tighten licensure otherwise it seems to work with these occasional blips.
I'm sure there are a lot of younger people and older people who are not qualified to drive.
I am sure there are a lot of people of all ages that are not qualified to drive.
It's not necessarily your age...

We do all kinds of things out of convenience in USA like let 16 year olds or elderly drive. We balance the risk vs costs(including time) dealing with transport especially in massive countries like Canada and USA.

If the public transport can vastly improve maybe tighten licensure otherwise it seems to work with these occasional blips.
I believe the reason we added re-qualification for the elderly was because the cost vs risk was not acceptable. My position is that this particular issue needs to be addressed in both current licensing as well as that re-qualification process. As @JeffKeryk notes, this is not a problem exclusive to the elderly, the guy that cut me off with the same stunt was probably in his mid 20's. This takes us right back to the test being inadequate.

I also agree that public transport needs to be improved, but with the current homeless and addiction crisis, I think you'd be hard pressed to convince seniors that they should take the bus to get to Bingo rather than drive. That's a separate discussion though.

My mom lived in a large retirement community in Orange County CA. When she first moved in she cautioned me to be highly vigilant when coming to visit as there were a lot of golf carts owned by the residents who used them to get around, and a lot of bad drivers in general. Her expression was that there were 20,000 residents living there and 18,000 of them shouldn't be driving anymore. I used to see people run stop signs, back out of car ports without looking and other dangerous actions.

I sure hope I'm not feeble when I get much older, having my driving privilege taken away would be catastrophic.

I'm sure everybody has seen an incidence where somebody has done something so bone-headed behind the wheel that they probably shouldn't be licensed?

Well, saw one of those today.

We have two 3-lane one-way streets that run parallel to each other and we also have two 2-lane one-way streets further over that also run parallel to each other.

Today, I'm headed North on one of the 3-lane ones. There's a woman in a newer Honda Civic about 200 meters in front of me. We are both in the left-hand lane.

As she approaches a cross street, she puts on her signal to turn left. She is in the correct lane for this. As she's turning, a vehicle travelling parallel to her, in the centre lane, signals and turns left right into her as she's turning.

Driver in front of me is the red arrow, other car is the yellow arrow:

Now, this is not the first time I've seen somebody turn left across multiple lanes. Back in the winter, I had a guy in front of me turn left across the lane I was travelling in. I laid on the horn and he seemed confused, like he had no idea that you don't do that.
No excuses here, incompetent driving error - how can you not look where you are turning? Though in typical road design up here, both left lanes one-way can turn left onto a one-way. FYI I took a HW design course at University in the 70's.

Recently I had to go into a nearby city recently for Dental appt. where there are in-town three lane and four lane roads in one direction.
Some lanes become "painted arrow indicated" RT only or LT ONLY in the last 20 feet and you are forced to merge in bumper to bumper traffic as cars are obscuring the street painted turn arrows. Then add in that the roadside signage is often too busy with too many stacked signs for quick comprehension. I am carefully focused watching the traffic I am engaged in, and also watching and drivers in front and behind - and to either side of me. Can be an overload when in unfamiliar surroundings.

I am most concerned about our high-speed freeways with right lane BMW and Merc kamikaze travelling 20 to 30 mph over traffic and dive bombing in front of trucks and unsuspecting drivers. When travelling at 70 mph it just takes a startled driver to jam on the brakes or get clipped and you suddenly find yourself in "The Big One" Final Destination style!

Last edited:
I believe the reason we added re-qualification for the elderly was because the cost vs risk was not acceptable. My position is that this particular issue needs to be addressed in both current licensing as well as that re-qualification process. As @JeffKeryk notes, this is not a problem exclusive to the elderly, the guy that cut me off with the same stunt was probably in his mid 20's. This takes us right back to the test being inadequate.

I also agree that public transport needs to be improved, but with the current homeless and addiction crisis, I think you'd be hard pressed to convince seniors that they should take the bus to get to Bingo rather than drive. That's a separate discussion though.
People going into testing knowing enough or all rules to pass. However they choose not to follow through in everyday driving.

Driving defensively is also a choice and assume they’ll do something wrong instead of being right.

Its frustrating yes however changing others is energy sunk.

Out in the deserted wild, on the big East<>West highway, I often choose NOT to sit at a prohibitive Left Turn Red arrow with Green ahead if NO oncoming traffic is seen for say 200 meters.
This position does require a quick and careful view of the surroundings for the Barney Fife patrol hiding in the bushes.

Do I need to be re-examined? Am I incompetent?

As René Descartes, that quite unappealing woman, once stated:

Cogito Arco ZOOM !

I see this sort of thing daily. I think 10% of the drivers simply do what they want assuming everyone else will just look out for them.

As for the elderly, it doesn't bother me to give them the road or lane or whatever if there out in a low traffic time. There pretty easy to spot. For the life of me I can't figure out why there out driving around when its busy.
I had this happen to me at my local grocery store yesterday. Each row is a one-way. I was driving out the out row when this old lady in a Honda CR-V driving the wrong way throws up her hands looks at me then then mouths a bunch of obscenities. If she had noticed the arrows and that ALL of the vehicles were faced out.

No excuses here, incompetent driving error - how can you not look where you are turning? Though in typical road design up here, both left lanes one-way can turn left onto a one-way. FYI I took a HW design course at University in the 70's.
The cross street is 2-way, so there's only one lane to turn into.

People going into testing knowing enough or all rules to pass. However they choose not to follow through in everyday driving.
From when I took my license, or even took driver training (mind you, I took that out east...) I don't recall ever having to work through this scenario. Lane changes on the highway were obviously done but not going down a one-way street and then turning off of it.

It's possible it's not included in the road test because this scenario doesn't exist in all cities, but if that's the case, then it should be simulated.
Driving defensively is also a choice and assume they’ll do something wrong instead of being right.
That's how I drive, though this scenario, I'm not sure it could have been prevented even if she was driving more defensively, as she was already half-way through her turn when Bertha decided to turn into her.
Its frustrating yes however changing others is energy sunk.
As is the case with anything that involves regulating the action of the public of course. Lots of energy currently being sunk fighting the idiotic hunting rifle ban for example.

I see that all the time... usually on the interstate... crossing several lanes to make an exit at the last second. It's a miracle there aren't more crashes than there are.

I blame the lack of (free) driver's education in schools. Now that it is only available on a paid basis, few take it.

... and there is the general trend in society to be less concerned about the rule of law. I see people running red lights and stop signs frequently. And then there is speeding too....

Seems we need daddy's and/or mommy's driver education. Seems those home school days are gone. High school drivers ed?
IDK. Is it better than their horrid sex ed? Never did partake. I just watched what my parents did. Practiced with the family barge from 12 through 14 in the neighborhood. Yep I was allowed - or sometimes just took it. He He.

Another note, insane accidents spiked after marijuana was legalised - gummies and tokin and drivin' don't mix - esp with ZOLPIDEM.

Seems we need daddy's and/or mommy's driver education. Seems those home school days are gone. High school drivers ed?
IDK. Is it better than their horrid sex ed? Never did partake. I just watched what my parents did. Practiced with the family barge from 12 through 14 in the neighborhood. Yep I was allowed - or sometimes just took it. He He.

Another note, insane accidents spiked after marijuana was legalised - gummies and tokin and drivin' don't mix - esp with ZOLPIDEM.

Highschool drivers Ed is one of the first things to be cut when budget cuts happen. Some 3rd party driving schools don't even show people how to drive - only how to pass the tests.

Another thing I see, are people using turn lanes from the incorrect direction.
Some turn lanes are for either direction, some are not, and they pull into that turn lane and act like you are in error for being in their way.

I'm sure there are a lot of younger people and older people who are not qualified to drive.
I am sure there are a lot of people of all ages that are not qualified to drive.
It's not necessarily your age...
It certainly isn't just your age, but as the elderly population increases with boomers things will get interesting. I see it with my own grandparents. Driving aids both help and cause major distractions while they drive. The insurance company I worked for specialized in AARP clients. Fortunately when my 80-something at the time grandma was having difficultly driving, it was easy for us to convince her to give up the keys. This is the opposite of how things normally go.

Back