People that shouldn't be driving

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I'm sure everybody has seen an incidence where somebody has done something so bone-headed behind the wheel that they probably shouldn't be licensed?

Well, saw one of those today.

We have two 3-lane one-way streets that run parallel to each other and we also have two 2-lane one-way streets further over that also run parallel to each other.

Today, I'm headed North on one of the 3-lane ones. There's a woman in a newer Honda Civic about 200 meters in front of me. We are both in the left-hand lane.

As she approaches a cross street, she puts on her signal to turn left. She is in the correct lane for this. As she's turning, a vehicle travelling parallel to her, in the centre lane, signals and turns left right into her as she's turning.

Driver in front of me is the red arrow, other car is the yellow arrow:
Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 6.11.12 PM.jpg

Now, this is not the first time I've seen somebody turn left across multiple lanes. Back in the winter, I had a guy in front of me turn left across the lane I was travelling in. I laid on the horn and he seemed confused, like he had no idea that you don't do that.

This is a competency test. If turning across lanes of traffic doesn't seem like a bad idea to you, you shouldn't be driving.

I know this is a touchy subject as nobody wants to lose the freedom of being able to drive. There are already re-qualification tests for the elderly, but I think the whole system needs an overhaul in terms of the requirements for obtaining, and retaining, the license to operate a motor vehicle. If you can pass the test and still don't see a problem with cutting across lanes of parallel traffic, the test isn't adequate, IMHO.

I know this is a touchy subject as nobody wants to lose the freedom of being able to drive. There are already re-qualification tests for the elderly, but I think the whole system needs an overhaul in terms of the requirements for obtaining, and retaining, the license to operate a motor vehicle.
Seems there are age based requalification tests in BC. I think it would be fairer to have requalification tests (instead of, or at least) based on accidents and tickets.

I'm not sure I could ever have passed the BC requalification test. One of the parts is you're given a set of instructions. You're to drive x blocks forward, turn left and drive y blocks, turn right and drive z blocks. Then having done all that, you'll be asked to retrace your steps. And you're expected to end up in front of exactly the same house or building.

You're also to shoulder check before every turn or lane change. Many people apparently have failed the test before they leave the parking lot.

I think all of the Members of the Legislative Assembly should have to take the senior's driving test with their driver's licenses on the line. And if it's too hard maybe they should change the test.

I'm not sure I could ever have passed the BC requalification test. One of the parts is you're given a set of instructions. You're to drive x blocks forward, turn left and drive y blocks, turn right and drive z blocks. Then having done all that, you'll be asked to retrace your steps. And you're expected to end up in front of exactly the same house or building.
That sounds like a dementia test not a driving test, lol.

This kind of stuff happens all the time here where I am. Last week I was leaving the mall on a two lane exit where the left lane only turns left and the right only turns right. Signs all over. I am in the left lane and another guy in his SRT is in the right lane. Light changes and I turn left and so does he. Almost hits me and goes berserk with the horn and fist waving. Around here you better be a defensive driver.

I see this sort of thing daily. I think 10% of the drivers simply do what they want assuming everyone else will just look out for them.

As for the elderly, it doesn't bother me to give them the road or lane or whatever if there out in a low traffic time. There pretty easy to spot. For the life of me I can't figure out why there out driving around when its busy.

That sounds like a dementia test not a driving test, lol.
I don't think I could have passed the memory component when I was 23, on the very day I was graduating with an engineering degree. My short term memory has never been good. I write down details so I don't have to remember them.

I think it is a dementia test, though not a very good dementia test. Here is the Folstein Mini Mental examination, the proper screening examination:

I'm sure everybody has seen an incidence where somebody has done something so bone-headed behind the wheel that they probably shouldn't be licensed?

We have two 3-lane one-way streets that run parallel to each other and we also have two 2-lane one-way streets further over that also run parallel to each other.

Today, I'm headed North on one of the 3-lane ones. There's a woman in a newer Honda Civic about 200 meters in front of me. We are both in the left-hand lane.

As she approaches a cross street, she puts on her signal to turn left. She is in the correct lane for this. As she's turning, a vehicle travelling parallel to her, in the centre lane, signals and turns left right into her as she's turning.

View attachment 216994

Now, this is not the first time I've seen somebody turn left across multiple lanes. Back in the winter, I had a guy in front of me turn left across the lane I was travelling in. I laid on the horn and he seemed confused, like he had no idea that you don't do that.

This is a competency test. If turning across lanes of traffic doesn't seem like a bad idea to you, you shouldn't be driving.

I know this is a touchy subject as nobody wants to lose the freedom of being able to drive. There are already re-qualification tests for the elderly, but I think the whole system needs an overhaul in terms of the requirements for obtaining, and retaining, the license to operate a motor vehicle. If you can pass the test and still don't see a problem with cutting across lanes of parallel traffic, the test isn't adequate, IMHO.
I see so many people near crash doing exactly what you are showing

I was beginning to fit that category about 6 months ago, and I knew it. Gave the SUV to my Granddaughter. Good safe vehicle for an 18 year old. My eyes and reaction times are not what they were. I understood it was "that time" and called it before anyone was hurt. :cautious:

It's gotten pretty scary out there. Weaving in and out of lanes, no blinker, 70+ in the slow lane... I wish there were more traffic enforcement. There seems to be little respect for the law and others.
Always some on the tollway that didn’t make the cut in NASCAR - but are practicing for another try … 😶

View attachment 216994

We do all kinds of things out of convenience in USA like let 16 year olds or elderly drive. We balance the risk vs costs(including time) dealing with transport especially in massive countries like Canada and USA.

If the public transport can vastly improve maybe tighten licensure otherwise it seems to work with these occasional blips.

View attachment 216994

I see this all the time in Atlanta. IMO it basically boils down to the fact that drivers are too lazy to make their turn at the next intersection. I've also seen this move in highly congested traffic both elsewhere in the US and overseas.

I presume it's the same thought process which is behind drivers who decide to cut across 3 lanes of highway traffic to take an exit ramp. This move is also very common around Atlanta.

I was in a car where the driver pulled one of the worst bone headed moves ever. We were on a 4 lane highway and the driver decided to make a U-turn. He pulled over to the outside lane and at the next intersection made a U-turn right over to the oncoming outside lane. Yes, outside lane to outside lane. He thought you should go from slow lane to slow lane. We told him different, and I don't suppose he ever did that again.

Driving in heavy traffic on a multi lane freeway (in Southern California) we saw a young woman go from the outside lane to the inside lane in one move. There was lots of honking and screeching. She then took off at high speed. A few minutes later there was a major slow down that lasted for quite a while. We eventually passed several cars in a pile up, though not the one being driven by that young woman. But it sure made us wonder if that same driver had started it.

I spent many years driving on the freeways in Edmonton during morning and evening rush hour. Everyone was driving well above the speed limit and I never saw one car pulled over for a driving infraction. Seems the traffic police were letting us get to where we were going with a minimum of fuss. There were very few accidents.

A couple of hours later you would have gotten a ticket for driving the same route at the same speed.

Back