When do you use your turn signals?

"National law requires ... that drivers use those signals to indicate any lane change or turn
Post a link to a "national" traffic law, specifically the one referred to. I can't think of any national traffic laws, they are all state-level and/or local.

Anytime I need folks around me to know my intentions. Changing lanes on the highway. Moving into a turn lane at an intersection. However, I don't keep them on in right or left-only turn lanes at lights because once I'm in the lane (signaled to get in of course!) there is no ambiguity w/r to my intentions. Turn signal use seems to be a lost skill.
I'm usually the only one that does. There is some kind of jamming device that they don't work in NJ.

6b1d28cbac8cf90a74f7626d152fd8cc--funny-****-funny-stuff.jpg

I look at it this way. I signal all turns because it makes me safer and it has no downsides. The sound and light don't bother me, it doesn't cost anything, it might help other drivers and pedestrians, and again it makes me and anyone in my car safer. Not doing something so easy with no downsides just makes sense. For those who don't bother when they don't see anyone around I think of an unlit rural yet busy road I needed to cross frequently, and because I was emerging from the trees people wouldn't necessarily see me until it was too late. Yes, it was up to me to judge what was happening with the cross traffic, but it was very helpful to know if someone might be turning into my road, even if they could not see me and thought there was nobody around to alert. There are many situations like that in the driving world. If you do signal every turn it just becomes automatic and takes no thought on your part and might make the world a tiny bit safer for yourself and others.

Post a link to a "national" traffic law, specifically the one referred to. I can't think of any national traffic laws, they are all state-level and/or local.
Thank you for calling me out. I incorrectly quoted a traffic school site. It seems that national regulations require turn signals of vehicles and state regulations mandate use of those signals.

Funny....this thread made me really think about my signals this weekend. I actually use them in the turn lanes more than I thought...as many are saying after a while you just use them and don't realize it. Mainly a right only lane I use all the time, I signal in and leave it b/c it's right on red to never sitting for long and same for a left only/green arrow lane that I'm not sitting at. Still don't always use them if I'm coming to a stop/waiting in a left only but I find I do kick it on once the light turns green.

Still don't always use them if I'm coming to a stop/waiting in a left only but I find I do kick it on once the light turns green.
There's a few notoriously long stoplights near me. I sit in the left turn lane with the turn signal off (especially when I am not the first one in the queue) but I click it on when the light turns green.

How about a cloverleaf? I signal to start off to get left...then turn it off arouvd the clover..then signal to merge left as I exit on the other end. I never leave it blinking the whole time.

I don't see the point in having a turn signal on in the left turn lane. Isn't it obvious that all the cars are going to be making a left turn?
Hard to put into words, but it helps the other drivers at a glance as an added measure. They have less reason to pause and try to figure out whether you really intend to turn. That microsecond you save them can be helpful.

I'm sure a human factors engineer can explain it better and more thoroughly.

I remember driving in Germany. I took a mental note of turn signal usage and found virtually every driver used their turn signals when needed. No driver missed a beat on that.

Another turn signal observation....if you have someone in front of you that isn't a good signaller and you keep using yours...they often will too....so lead by example...seems to work like osmosis!

Last edited:
Anytime I need folks around me to know my intentions. Changing lanes on the highway. Moving into a turn lane at an intersection. However, I don't keep them on in right or left-only turn lanes at lights because once I'm in the lane (signaled to get in of course!) there is no ambiguity w/r to my intentions. Turn signal use seems to be a lost skill.
Same, but I leave them in the turn lane too.

At least they use their signal even if it's last second. Here in houston the savages will just swerve through 3 lanes. Just 2 days ago at 7am a kia soul and hyundai sonata were road raging until the kia realized they were going to miss their exit and flew to the exit with the hyundai following but then swerving back once they realized they might hit the barrier. Actual maniacs drive on 290 over here.
Can confirm... I-45 north is the same... especially around the beltway and 99

Same, but I leave them in the turn lane too.
I have been playing with this one this week - I am leaving them on for the most part now b/c why not but it just bugs me to sit in line in a sparate left hand turn lane for a few minutes with click click click sometimes I guess. They all know we are all turning left. The sign "this lane is left hand turn only" is also a clue..hahaha

Last edited:
I have been playing with this one this week - I am leaving them on for the most part now b/c why not but it just bugs me to sit in line in a sparate left hand turn lane for a few minutes with click click click sometimes I guess. They all know we are all turning left. The sign "this lane is left hand turn only" is also a clue..hahaha
I will say if I get tired of hearing them click and traffic is not moving, I shut them off, but I've always turned them back on before making the turn. I know the people behind me know that I am turning, but this has always been my process.

Back