When do you use your turn signals?

Anytime I need folks around me to know my intentions. Changing lanes on the highway. Moving into a turn lane at an intersection. However, I don't keep them on in right or left-only turn lanes at lights because once I'm in the lane (signaled to get in of course!) there is no ambiguity w/r to my intentions. Turn signal use seems to be a lost skill.
Everytime before I change roads (intersections), pull in or out of traffic, cross the lane markings or going around an obstruction even if I can stay in my lane.

I drive a big vehicle that blocks views so it's inda important. + if I pull out of a bus stop inside city limits, having the indicator on grants me priority over other traffic (I don't force that or I'd get into accidents daily, but I make it look like I do if necessary).

I am not lazy b/c I sit in a left only turn leg and don't want to listen to my turn signal clicking for a few mintues. I've never seen someone drive straight through an intersection from a left-only green arrow turn lane and I'm not sure the signal would change the outcome for the others in the intersection.
I don't know how to respond to your turn signal noise annoying you. That trumps safe driving practices?

Maybe Virginia drivers are less asinine than Michigan drivers?

Here's an example of left turn lane ONLY intersection and you can see what might happen if the southbound left turn car decides to go straight and a northbound left turn car is there at same time (yellow blinking turn arrow). Happens often here. I think people don't comprehend they are in a left turn lane only or maybe they just change their mind? If they have no turn signal on, I am extra careful. Just the other day I witnessed someone in the right turn lane that went straight across the intersection.
Intersection.jpg

It seems that many people have decided that they can modify their driving habits as they see fit to appease their desires, ignoring the law and common sense:
"National law requires all automotive vehicles have operational turn signal devices installed and that drivers use those signals to indicate any lane change or turn. And yes, that goes for turns performed in designated turning lanes, too." https://trafficschoolonline.com/blog/unusual-traffic-laws

Michigan statuate: "and shall give a signal as required in this section.” This applies even when you’re making a turn from a designated turn lane. Many people think that if you’re in a turn lane, you don’t need to signal your turn, but this is not the case."

Last edited:
I don't see the point in having a turn signal on in the left turn lane. Isn't it obvious that all the cars are going to be making a left turn?

I don't see the point in having a turn signal on in the left turn lane. Isn't it obvious that all the cars are going to be making a left turn?
Other people may not know that a vehicle is in a turn-only lane - not only other drivers but also pedestrians and cyclists. You can't presume everybody to be 100% familiar with each intersection and the lane layout. With the current state of driving behavior, I'm just glad when other drivers are in turn lanes when they are turning or that they really turn when in a turn lane.

No, it is simply dangerous not to signal even if you are in a left turn only lane. There is one I go through nearly daily and if you are headed west there is a left turn only lane but not if you are headed east. Therefore people heading east don't necessarily know that cars facing them could be planning on turning unless they are using turn signals.

Anytime I need folks around me to know my intentions. Changing lanes on the highway. Moving into a turn lane at an intersection. However, I don't keep them on in right or left-only turn lanes at lights because once I'm in the lane (signaled to get in of course!) there is no ambiguity w/r to my intentions. Turn signal use seems to be a lost skill.
That's what I thought. Got pulled over by a state trooper for turning left from a left turn only lane without signal. I signaled prior to moving into that lane. Figured no need after. So I still don't sit there with it annoyingly blinking the whole time but when I start moving forward I activate the momentary to get my 3 blinks. And I have the Forscan to supposedly be able to adjust the momentary to 5 blinks each time.

That's what I thought. Got pulled over by a state trooper for turning left from a left turn only lane without signal. I signaled prior to moving into that lane. Figured no need after. So I still don't sit there with it annoyingly blinking the whole time but when I start moving forward I activate the momentary to get my 3 blinks. And I have the Forscan to supposedly be able to adjust the momentary to 5 blinks each time.
If a cop is there/can see me then yes...I use them.

Typically, I use them all the time. And just like the President shaking hands with phantoms, I'll use signals when there's no one around.

And I'm at that age where I occasionally leave them on for no reason. So please, pardon me!

The Lexus interior is very quiet, I don't hear the turn signal clicking. It's more an instrument panel visual indication so I tend to pay closer attention.

The Safari has an obnoxious warning "chime" that goes off if you leave it on when moving; it must monitor the signal being on and the vehicle in motion. Startled the heck out of me when it went off on the Interstate. Never happened since.

I used them always and don’t think about it, even silly stuff to turn into driveway on dead end street.

Locally I use them in occasionally heavy 95 traffic where I have to cross 6 lanes in less than one mile and don’t look and cut off people to get to a left split from my exit. The signal there means I am moving over and deal with it.

Apparently this is an issue for
I don't know how to respond to your turn signal noise annoying you. That trumps safe driving practices?

Maybe Virginia drivers are less asinine than Michigan drivers?

Here's an example of left turn lane ONLY intersection and you can see what might happen if the southbound left turn car decides to go straight and a northbound left turn car is there at same time (yellow blinking turn arrow). Happens often here. I think people don't comprehend they are in a left turn lane only or maybe they just change their mind? If they have no turn signal on, I am extra careful. Just the other day I witnessed someone in the right turn lane that went straight across the intersection.
View attachment 156042

It seems that many people have decided that they can modify their driving habits as they see fit to appease their desires, ignoring the law and common sense:
"National law requires all automotive vehicles have operational turn signal devices installed and that drivers use those signals to indicate any lane change or turn. And yes, that goes for turns performed in designated turning lanes, too." https://trafficschoolonline.com/blog/unusual-traffic-laws

Michigan statuate: "and shall give a signal as required in this section.” This applies even when you’re making a turn from a designated turn lane. Many people think that if you’re in a turn lane, you don’t need to signal your turn, but this is not the case."
When I read this I think - if I followed you on a daily basis as you drive to you 1) ever exceed the posted speed limit...even by 1mph? 2) do you come to a complete stop, car settles back, at every stop sign even in neighborhoods when nobody is around? Maybe you do, but it's unlikely you have "safe driving practices" 100% of the time, just like about everyone else on the road and you apply the basics of risk assessment in situations like that. If I am in a left only/green arrow lane that is separate from all other lanes, using a signal is redundant in my eyes once I've signaled my intent to enter that lane. I only do this with green arrow only intersections. Flashing yellow is new here and I ALWAYS signal at those intersections as it's effectively the same as the older green light turn lanes with traffic flow through the intersection from the opposite direction...they need to see that I may be turning. The intersections I am thinking of when I do this are not risks...else I would signal. I have not dealt with this issue I guess w/r to folks in a turn-only lane (right/left) going straight but my normal defensive/scanning driving takes care of it on my end....always ready for someone to be unpredictable or screw up!

I only do this with green arrow only intersections. Flashing yellow is new here and I ALWAYS signal at those intersections as it's effectively the same as the older green light turn lanes with traffic flow through the intersection from the opposite direction...they need to see that I may be turning.

Oh, but what do you do when your side of the intersection is green arrow only (aka protected left turn), but the other side is flashing yellow arrow (aka protected/permissive)?

We have a few intersections like that around here.

Some cops don't even know. My buddy has a 1960 HD Panhead, shifter on the the left side of gas tank and left foot clutch. He stuck his "left" arm out straight from his shoulder to move into the left hand turn lane. Then pulled his arm down and stopped. Light turned green he goes left. Cop pulls him over and asks why he didn't keep his left arm out while he was sitting there. At first he thought cop was kidding him. He wasn't. He tells the cop give me the ticket because I'll ride this bike into the courtroom and show the judge what you want me to do. Cop checked his license, plates and insurance and let him go.

When my kids went thru drivers ed years ago it tickled me to see them using them to pull out of our driveway. I never said anything.......

Back