Turn Signals?????????

Yeah for some reason lately that noise does bother me.

I pay no attention to it but I discovered that after I bought the CX5 that I could control the volume of the ticker. I turned it down a bit. First car I’ve owned that had that feature.

Of course in the old days that clicking sound was very loud.

Hell , the tank in my avatar has signals on it . I'd love to drive it around the city and piss off some aggressive/careless drivers. :LOL: (y)

I pay no attention to it but I discovered that after I bought the CX5 that I could control the volume of the ticker. I turned it down a bit. First car I’ve owned that had that feature.

Of course in the old days that clicking sound was very loud.
The signal noise in the older vehicles was mechanical , now it's electronic.

In MA they don't need no stinking blinkers, working brake lights and anything but blue headlights. Its a friggin free for all.
This excrement hole has the worst drivers I have ever seen and its getting worse. You dont even need to speak, write or read English to get a license.

Like OP when I am in dedicated turn lane at red light I keep it off until light turns green at which point I will turn it on, if it is a non-dedicated turn lane it's on regardless. Any other situation I always use my turn signal.

Noo Awlins denizens are confused by all those stalks sticking out from behind the wheel, and respond by ignoring most of them. Not to mention, the instant you put yours on, someone speeds up to cut you off before you can change lanes.

Though I grew up and learned to drive here, I still use mine except, like some of you, when I'm in a dedicated turn lane. Where else can I go?

For some unknown reason aging creates a need to use your turn signals less and less.. lol
Now nothing worse than a bozo not using their turn signals in a required situation or a fool riding around
all day with one on.

But at times I think age is catching up with me because situations like being in a dedicated turn lane where
you are smack in the middle of 12 cars with a red light I don't leave mine on.
When the light turns green and I start moving again I put them on.

Like driving a remote interstate at night when no other cars are around why do I need them to change lanes???
I see others use them while they are "turning out of" their own private lanes. Why?

When I need them to be safe or when other cars are around me I use them all the time.
How about you?
Use them all the time when the car is moving. Even on the late night Interstate. Get into the habit, Sometimes you may be distracted and the habit will do it for you. IMHO.

My blinker fluid ran out a long time ago. Where I live you have to drive somewhat aggressive. If I was to use my turn signal say to go from the middle lane to the right lane to get off the highway, people will just speed up and get right beside you to block you. South Carolina has some of the worst and rudest drivers in the country there for making me drive like an ass. I also experience drivers like that in DC metro area.

I learned in a Defensive Driving course in1969 that if you are at a Stop sign and a car approaches from your left with a Right turn light On, unless you have seen his turn signal engage, don't move till he actually starts his turn. It may have been ON for miles. I've never forgotten that. In modern cars you will get a reminder if you leave the signal on for 700 meters.

I learned in a Defensive Driving course in1969 that if you are at a Stop sign and a car approaches from your left with a Right turn light On, unless you have seen his turn signal engage, don't move till he actually starts his turn. It may have been ON for miles. I've never forgotten that. In modern cars you will get a reminder if you leave the signal on for 700 meters.
I had an experience just yesterday. I was driving and the road went from two lane, to a fork. Two left turns one right. Both lanes one way. I'm in the far left and I want to go to the middle left because I need to turn right after this left. Guy in a jeep patriot clearly has his right signal on and his jeep is clearly heading to the right turn lane. So I assume he's going right so as I get over he quickly shoves his jeep back in the middle lane near hitting me and looks at me like I did something wrong. I think people driven in auto pilot not planning ahead. He's just following the lines.

Noo Awlins denizens are confused by all those stalks sticking out from behind the wheel, and respond by ignoring most of them. Not to mention, the instant you put yours on, someone speeds up to cut you off before you can change lanes.

Though I grew up and learned to drive here, I still use mine except, like some of you, when I'm in a dedicated turn lane. Where else can I go?
Noo Awlins drivers!?!? They're CRAZY! I live in a suburb of St. Louis; on Hwy 270 around here no one uses turn signals; if you try it they will speed up just to block you. A few years ago my job sent me to Noo Awlins on a temporary assignment. Thank the good Lord for GPS and google maps. Anyhow, I didn't realize I was just a few miles away from the airport, all I was doing in the middle lane (of about 5 lanes if IIRC) was moving with the flow of traffic, I was passing no one and I was moving upwards of 85 mph in a 60 zone....A cop came up on me so fast I didn't even try to brake; just figured I'm busted. He went around me like I was sitting still. He had to be moving in 3 digits. Before anyone thinks he was "responding to a call" he had no lights on of any kind. I mentioned this to some local hands when I arrived at the Construction site I was headed to....The guys just laughed and told me that speed "limits" around here are more or less "suggestions." Do not even think about turn signals. If there is an opening, take it quickly!

Never "trust the blinker."

I don't think I've ever had an accident on account of that, but definitely a near miss or two... complete with the other driver glaring at you for.. well, for moving in accordance with their intended and signified, (hence, the word "signal" or "blinker" because, guess what, it blinks, so thats what it is) direction of travel.

I've pretty much given up on trying to interpret why people do what they do on the road. It's probably a blend of many things.. and its 10x worse in morning rush hour traffic in "high urban areas."

Football mentality.

Back