Do you know anyone that ALWAYS makes WIDE turns?

I do, and it drives me wild.

A wide turn is when you do not turn to the lane closest to you. Very simple.

Here in the U.S., that is unlawful and you can be pulled over/stopped for it.

Now, the purpose of this thread is not to debate what happens when one gets stopped.. it is to ask, if you know anyone that ALWAYS TURNS WIDE.

And, if like me, you think.. "If I did that."

I most always turn to the lane closest, THEN immediately get the blinker on and go to next lane.. that is the proper way to do it. Not every time, I'm not perfect and I do not claim to be. But does this drive anyone else.. absolutely nuts?

My dad does because he is a truck driver and has too lol. It’s also fun to do in bumper cars because you can make someone think they have a clear shot to go around then you turn and they really bump you then 😆

My state allows a left turn from a single left turn lane to enter either lane after the turn. If there are 2 or more left turn lanes you must stay in your lane

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-173247.png
    Screenshot_20210107-173247.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 12
Confession is good for the soul, Kia or otherwise. Why do you do this? are you conserving your tires and differential from the extra work of a tight radius? perhaps you played ice hockey and you are still pretending to be defense? maybe you are carrying tall bottles of mothers milk to the local nursing station and don't want to spill a drop? Or you removed all the baffles in the oil pan and must go slow and wide to prevent the pump sucking air?

There aren't federal laws on "rules of the road." Things like this will vary by state.

Turning into the left lane makes it potentially possible for someone on the other side to make a turn on red into the right lane without colliding. But since the guy turning left doesn't have to stay left (or maybe he does, but won't anyway), nobody is going to try that right turn.

It was already made clear that laws for turns, especially left turns, vary by state. Follow the laws of the state you drive in, but don’t assume your own state’s law speaks for the entire country.

I'm a little bit stunned some States don't have this as illegal as per vehicle code/statute etc.

So who else lives in a State where you technically aren't supposed to...

I'm a little bit stunned some States don't have this as illegal as per vehicle code/statute etc.

So who else lives in a State where you technically aren't supposed to...
Keep in mind that a trailer of any kind has to go into the far lane when turning or risk running over the hood of cars waiting to make their turn.

I do, and it drives me wild.

A wide turn is when you do not turn to the lane closest to you. Very simple.

Here in the U.S., that is unlawful and you can be pulled over/stopped for it.

Now, the purpose of this thread is not to debate what happens when one gets stopped.. it is to ask, if you know anyone that ALWAYS TURNS WIDE.

And, if like me, you think.. "If I did that."

I most always turn to the lane closest, THEN immediately get the blinker on and go to next lane.. that is the proper way to do it. Not every time, I'm not perfect and I do not claim to be. But does this drive anyone else.. absolutely nuts?
It drives you wild?

It drives you wild?

Well. Where I drive, it's illegal to do that.

To see everyone doing something you KNOW you could be stopped for.. at least where I am.. yeah, it's like a "well, okay."

The most common thing I see is from one lane to two lines and swinging wide. Normal passenger car, no trailers or trailering etc.

If you're trying to be a proper driver, I feel like you notice these things.

Single turn lane to a multi lane road it's your choice which lane you turn into. Two turn lanes to say a four lane road, #1 lane turns into #1 lane, #2 lane has a choice to turn into the #2, #3, or #4 lane. Three turn lanes to a three lane road, each turn lane maintains lane integrity. At least that is the law in the western states I've driven in. And it's logical. It is a courtesy to leave the last lane open for people turning right when the left turn lane has the right of way. But if you are turning right, better make sure you are clear to a wide swinger, because if you hit it's your fault.

To see everyone doing something you KNOW you could be stopped for.. at least where I am.. yeah, it's like a "well, okay."
Same can be said about the use of turn signals - you're supposed to use them, but a lot of people don't.

I don't make wide turns, but most people around here do. I am not even sure what the law states here on this subject.

Same can be said about the use of turn signals - you're supposed to use them, but a lot of people don't.

I don't make wide turns, but most people around here do. I am not even sure what the law states here on this subject.

If in Illinois? Can't, as far as I know.

I edited out the video, wanted to thread it in as part of the discussion but seemed more to de-rail.

Last edited:
The few times I tried it myself I felt so stupid. Not needed on modern cars unless you're towing something.

Back