Do you know anyone that ALWAYS makes WIDE turns?

I do, and it drives me wild.

A wide turn is when you do not turn to the lane closest to you. Very simple.

Here in the U.S., that is unlawful and you can be pulled over/stopped for it.

Now, the purpose of this thread is not to debate what happens when one gets stopped.. it is to ask, if you know anyone that ALWAYS TURNS WIDE.

And, if like me, you think.. "If I did that."

I most always turn to the lane closest, THEN immediately get the blinker on and go to next lane.. that is the proper way to do it. Not every time, I'm not perfect and I do not claim to be. But does this drive anyone else.. absolutely nuts?
I feel your pain, I see it many times everyday. Mostly with younger drivers. You can easily see where they live too. The ground is torn up on both sides of their driveway apron.

I'm thinking back to my first driving lesson, in a green AMC Hornet with a 3-on-the-floor shifter (because I'd opted to take my lessons in a "standard").

The instructor met me at my parents' house, and I drove hesitantly around our isolated inner suburb for a few minutes. The instructor then suggested we go out to the main road. GULP! I immediately made my first error, executing a "wide turn".

The instructor told me that the law said I had to turn into the first available lane. I thought "Rats! That means I have to apply all that written theory."

But I took it to heart, and have avoided making "wide turns" since, and rant at drivers who do. It's very common here. The legal exception here is when there's a car parked in the curb lane within a certain distance of the intersection.

I'm thinking back to my first driving lesson, in a green AMC Hornet with a 3-on-the-floor shifter (because I'd opted to take my lessons in a "standard").

The instructor met me at my parents' house, and I drove hesitantly around our isolated inner suburb for a few minutes. The instructor then suggested we go out to the main road. GULP! I immediately made my first error, executing a "wide turn".

The instructor told me that the law said I had to turn into the first available lane. I thought "Rats! That means I have to apply all that written theory."

But I took it to heart, and have avoided making "wide turns" since, and rant at drivers who do. It's very common here. The legal exception here is when there's a car parked in the curb lane within a certain distance of the intersection.
I take it, you passed that test?

I did fail parallel parking, but you were allowed to bomb on one thing. So I passed :)

Article 26, Section 1160 of New York Traffic Law

S 1160. Required position and method of turning at intersections. The
driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection shall do so as
follows:
(a) Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn
shall be made as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of
the roadway or, where travel on the shoulder or slope has been
authorized, from the shoulder or slope.
(b) Left turns on two-way roadways. At any intersection where traffic
is permitted to move in both directions on each roadway entering the
intersection, an approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion
of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line thereof and by
passing to the right of such center line where it enters the
intersection and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be
made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center line of
the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be
made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of
the intersection.
(c) Left turns on other than two-way roadways. At any intersection
where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the
roadways, the driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any such
intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand
lane of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the
direction of travel of such vehicle or, where travel on the shoulder or
slope has been authorized, from the shoulder or slope, and after
entering the intersection the left turn shall be made so as to leave the
intersection, as nearly as practicable, in the left-hand lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being
entered.
(d) When markers, buttons, signs, or other markings are placed within
or adjacent to intersections and thereby require and direct that a
different course from that specified in this section be traveled by
vehicles turning at an intersection, no driver of a vehicle shall turn a
vehicle at an intersection other than as directed and required by such
markers, buttons, signs, or other markings.
(e) U-turns. U-turns shall be made from and to that portion of the
highway nearest the marked center line. Where more than one lane of a
highway has been designated for left turns, U-turns shall be made only
from the lane so designated that is adjacent to the marked center line.

Anyone who has no sense of their vehicle's size, or where the wheels are. This describes most people on the road. I was in the Laser, traveling down a 4-lane city street the other day, in the left eastbound lane, and there was a Tahoe in the right lane. I was at her left rear quarter panel when she slowed and signaled to turn right into the Target parking lot. She swung that thing into half of my lane before starting her turn, with no regard (or idea) that I was even there. There is NO reason for that. Another instance of someone driving a vehicle that is too big for HER.

Quite a few folks around here do.
I tend to stop short of the line at intersections to let folks have a wide berth and not have to crawl … some of the lines are very close to the intersection an don’t give an F350 with a boat much room … especially when half the jerks stop past the line

I get more irritated by people who don't stay in their lane on a double left turn.
I have this issue 2-3 time a week right here. People just don't care, and they're under the impression that they're the only ones on the road.

Lane.JPG

I take it, you passed that test?

I did fail parallel parking, but you were allowed to bomb on one thing. So I passed :)
That was my first lesson of six or eight. That was followed by infrequent drives in my father's '67 Chrysler Newport, punctuated by Dad yelling "Be careful, you'll hit that car!!!"

Finally I did my road test in the same old Chrysler, and passed, which shocked Dad.

That was my first lesson of six or eight. That was followed by infrequent drives in my father's '67 Chrysler Newport, punctuated by Dad yelling "Be careful, you'll hit that car!!!"

Finally I did my road test in the same old Chrysler, and passed, which shocked Dad.

The shocking people part can be priceless lol.

My state allows a left turn from a single left turn lane to enter either lane after the turn. If there are 2 or more left turn lanes you must stay in your lane
I think he's talking about a situation where the red car is making a right and the blue is making a left. The blue car making the left drifts into the far right lane which would be occupied by the red car who made the right hand turn.

Last edited:
Pretty much every driver in New Jersey turns their car like they're driving a semi pulling 2 trailers. They haven't caught onto the fact that the steering wheel, can be turned more then 1 turn. While going 24 mph under the speed limit, only enhances the joy for other drivers.,,,

The blue car making the left drifts into the far right lane which would be occupied by the red car.
Yes, and if there are traffic lights giving the left turner a green arrow, the driver considering a right turn on red has to yield to everything that might cross his path, including that situation.

Heavily edited from a post above, " People {think} they're the only ones on the road." My Dad used to say this when I was a kid.
I'd respond, "I don't think they're thinking at all".

To WC: My "first car" was a '66 Newport.

Why do people sometimes swing wayyyy out to the left, and then turn right?
This. Being from Texas I’ve always noticed that this is common in the South as opposed to anywhere else in the country. It’s also very common on two lane rural route roads when someone wants to make a left, they swing out to the right first.

I do, and it drives me wild.

A wide turn is when you do not turn to the lane closest to you. Very simple.

Here in the U.S., that is unlawful and you can be pulled over/stopped for it.

Now, the purpose of this thread is not to debate what happens when one gets stopped.. it is to ask, if you know anyone that ALWAYS TURNS WIDE.

And, if like me, you think.. "If I did that."

I most always turn to the lane closest, THEN immediately get the blinker on and go to next lane.. that is the proper way to do it. Not every time, I'm not perfect and I do not claim to be. But does this drive anyone else.. absolutely nuts?
Moving trucks, school buses, 18 wheelers, police vehicles, etc.

Back