When do you use your turn signals?

I will say if I get tired of hearing them click and traffic is not moving, I shut them off, but I've always turned them back on before making the turn. I know the people behind me know that I am turning, but this has always been my process.
I do that as well sometimes...it's about predictability (to me) here so being in a separate left-only lane should be about as predictable as it gets!

Yesterday I was screwed because nobody in a left turn only lane was using their turning signals. I was on a three lane road and two lanes had to turn left. I stopped at the back of a line of traffic and had no idea I had to turn left until it was too late. Got funneled into a big shopping center.

Yesterday I was screwed because nobody in a left turn only lane was using their turning signals. I was on a three lane road and two lanes had to turn left. I stopped at the back of a line of traffic and had no idea I had to turn left until it was too late. Got funneled into a big shopping center.
Sounds like these weren't separate lanes you had to turn into to use...they were effectively a straight lane that became a left only lane?

I use my turns signals as an early warning that I'm about to change lanes.
Like it or not, I'm changing lanes. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Whenever there's someone I think needs signaling. If there's someone behind me and not in a turn only lane, I signal. If there's someone waiting to turn out of the same road I'm about to turn onto, I signal so they know to go ahead and go. I will signal when changing lanes, and if you speed up to cut me off, I hope the fleas of a thousand camels forever infest your butt hairs... still signaling though because most people are courteous and let you over. If there's nobody around, I don't really care, though I often end up doing it anyway out of habit.

if you use your turn signals here to change lanes, some people try and close the gap. if there's room i still change lanes and make them slow back down. it's usually mustangs or BMWs that try and keep you from passing them or changing lanes in front of them.

whenever I want non-verbal communication w/others (who I C and dont C).

Standing ina lane, not till the light signals 'U may turn now" & I usually turn them off B4 the wheel duz so. Also 200 ft B4 the turn (law requirement).

On interstate when changing lane, but not as a request for anything. I change when safe to do so, signal 2, 3 sec B4, move there quickly, turn off signal.

But I'm pretty much the same w/hdlght use. Signal, expect action, too much delay I move on so as not to disrupt traffic. I often give 'left hand choice' (head-on or opposing traffic) as I'm no tailgater, but - if not taken I'll not wait, repeat the light flash offer, etc.

I've never been concerned with burning out turn signal bulbs. Other drivers on the road know full well what my intentions are at all times if they're alert and focussed.
When I'm behind the wheel I try like hell never to do the things that annoy me when others do them, while at the same time attempt to make things as easy as possible for other drivers and pedestrians.
Making intentions known with ample warning is one of the things I appreciate most from others.

This thread points out once again how many humans willfully put themselves in danger on the road for no reason and no gain. As a motorcycle rider I am highly tuned to watch for vehicles that aren't signaling that could potentially kill me, and it amazes me how often it happens. Or, even worse are those signaling one thing then doing another. Rarer but potentially more deadly. The #1 safety thing we can all do is pay attention when driving and don't let ourselves get distracted, and please remember there might be a motorcycle around every time you make a sudden maneuver!

Back