Rant: Why do people use garbage tires in snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't lie, even with some Altimax Arctics on the Accord, it can be a challenge to get moving in a greasy intersection, from a dead stop, quickly -- but I do OK.

Half of it is putting some decent rubber on the car, other half is some brains.

I won't claim to have the highest amount of the latter, but I'm smarter than your average idiot.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I still think the US should adopt the German system for licensing and car inspections. Is it going to cost people? Sure but it will take the cars with the bald tires off the roads if the owners can't afford real rubber.

Germany much smaller than the USA and has functional mass transit as an alternative.

Rod

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: eljefino
There should be more shame in being a hazard to navigation. I can't fathom how someone would spend a couple grand for DVD/Satnav/Moonroof but then put sipe-less Ling Long tires on their ride.

That's because they have strange option packages on cars these days. To get a Navigation system you HAVE TO get the sunroof whether you want it or not.

Example-I wanted leather and an upgraded sound system when I purchased my Subaru Legacy. I had to get the sunroof. It's never been opened.

Its because they can lump gadgets into a monthly payment, but cant afford another $1000 on tires because CCs are maxed out.

Look how defensive people get on here when we talk poorly of payment based car buying, by finance or lease.

$1000? That's a lot!

Low end snow tires are a lot cheaper than that! If you're driving a vehicle that has a $1000 set of snow tires ... and you can't afford a $1000 set of snow tires, you are driving the wrong vehicle! ( Not referring to you - just in general).

I have a $35 android phone. It's the cheapest and oldest model of phone I have owned. It's also the best. Go figure.

Yeah my snow tires were brand new at $41 each.

Granted, they're on a ten year old Neon. Ummm, yeah.

A vehicle is pretty useless if it doesn't get you where you're going safely and on time.

Today it was snowing and the roads were slick. Going to work I had to drive up a short hill leading to our store's entrance on the right. Had the momentem but had to stop behind a Honda Insight which was stopped in right turning lane. Turns out this car was stuck. BUT, they didn't have the common sense/courtesy to put on their emergency blinkers letting others know of their situation. I could have drove around them no problem. Now I had to get going from a stop, on an incline w/all-season tires (good thread) on snow-covered slick road. Barely made it. Here in Va. we do have yearly state inspections and tire's are looked at as well as brakes, etc. I'm ok w/this.

Where I live the problem is rain and illegals. Rain makes for slippery roads and illegals make for drivers that have nothing to lose, no license, no registration and no insurance.

I had a good laugh today; Northern KY got blanketed with 8"-15" of snow. I was driving my wife's 3er(equipped with Blizzak LM-25s).I approached a cross street where I had the right-of-way. A guy in an F-250 4X4 pulled out behind me and must have hammered it; his truck ran wide and bounced off of the right curbing- and almost spun.
Moron.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Where I live the problem is rain and illegals. Rain makes for slippery roads and illegals make for drivers that have nothing to lose, no license, no registration and no insurance.
Yep Jerry Brown welcomes the illegals with the taxpayers dollars in hand.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
given the state of the economy, it is a matter of priority for many. Food medicine, place to live over tires. Trip to Vegas is out of the question, Do not give me the get an education [censored], what if you have a normal IQ. What if you are over 50 You are not college material, or maybe even trade school material. Used to be jobs for normal hard working folks. Used to be jobs for those over 50. Those days are gone.

So why [censored] tires, to get to their [censored] job and maybe eat a little.

RANT Over.

Rod

THANK YOU. As soon as I started reading this is what I thought. For a long while I would purchase used tires from my local tire guy. They were still technically new (Less then 3K on most sets) but I could get a set of tires for like $200 for the truck, whereas a new set would be well over $600-$800. Why did I do this? MONEY. Like mentioned the economy isn't great, and for people like me, spending that much for tires just isn't always an option

Because people like malfunctionprone/Geartoolhead are out there.

Last edited:
They might be a bit of a tightwad. Or they don't know snow tires exist. Actually Firestone Winterforce tires are pretty cheap. There was a study of regular tires over snow tires and snow tires provide better traction on any surface because of the softer rubber compound. Heck you could run snow tires all year round.

Worked with guy years ago he always had money for the drinking at the bar.
Looked at his motorcycle one day and 1 tire was nearly worn to the cords. Mentioned it to him and he replied he could not afford to replace it.

Last edited:
Maybe some people might need to find a higher paying job or they shouldn't own a vehicle that they cannot afford to maintain. That is your life at risk if your tire blows going down the road especially on a motorcycle.

I have good snow tires but when it is slippery on the roads I drive slow, sometimes 30 in a 65 zone. If the right lane is plowed I drive on the right lane, if the left is I drive on the left. Those who are skillful drivers should go to the right unplowed lane instead of following to closely behind. Otherwise they will get ticketed.

Well, I live in a state where bald tires are the least of my concern...

-Potholes that will take a chunk out of the side of your car, not just the tire. A few cities have already given up on potholes...

-Drivers who just don't care. This is twofold, as 1) Only state I've seen nascar type accidents (dumb would be an easy word) and 2) No fault insurance and an uninsured drivers fund, not only to you not have to care, with a good lawyer, you might be able to sue even if you caused the accident! Had a former co worker who was rear ended, and got sued-and the dude won! Oh, and coverage for your injuries (maybe faked) for life! Why we have the highest rates in the US....

So I take your bald tires and raise you.....
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Not everyone is aware of snow tires. Many people live paycheck to paycheck.

Or they flat don't care...

Typical I know how to drive better than you, I have better tires than you... if you can't drive as fast as me then stay home rant. If you're that guy riding up my a$$ while i'm taking my time driving down the road, don't judge my driving and tell me what I need to be doing. Everyone says oh its not me I'm worried about, its everyone else. Well maybe you're that guy (not the OP, just speaking in general). When conditions are bad just worry about yourself and not what everyone else is doing. Remove yourself from their equation.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We were on the Firestone Affinity Touring tires...

That old saying in high school--- an object in motion will stay in motion unless some other force is applied to it.. yada yada, needs to be taught to these imbeciles. If you don't make sudden moves and simply let the car drive straight, it will go straight! Be aware of your surroundings, plan ahead, give plenty of space because if you do need to stop or slow down, you have to have time.

It's really easy, but I shake my head in disbelief every time I'm out on the road with these idiots.

Hey imbecile... objects in motion tend to stay in motion. I get it. So you speed down the road in bad conditions, what do you do when something gets in your way? You're that guy aren't you? That one everyone is trying to avoid. I know you are... cause you think you're somehow superior as you drive by those idiots shaking your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back