PG4612 oil filter $9.99 / 12 pack - Walmart

My 'dirty' dozen came today. Absolutely perfect. The ends had shrink wrap on them and all the boxes were stellar.

I gave them to my neighbor down the street who has three Hondas. I may order another box for myself.

One surprise. A lot of folks at my Mileage Impossible site canned these filters.

I really don't get it. 96% filtration at 20 microns is solid and a lot of folks opt for 5,000 mile oil changes anyhow.
I just joined to throw some odometer photos I’ve saved over the years. Didn’t realize that was your group.

This was a sweet deal, and I have no idea how Premium Guard, direct from its warehouse in TN, could make any money on an $8.49 or $9.99 case of 12 oil filters when the shipping cost itself had to be almost that much. This is why I suspected this was a special clearance sale or even a salvage sale from a damaged warehouse. But I'll take it.

This was a sweet deal, and I have no idea how Premium Guard, direct from its warehouse in TN, could make any money on an $8.49 or $9.99 case of 12 oil filters when the shipping cost itself had to be almost that much. This is why I suspected this was a special clearance sale or even a salvage sale from a damaged warehouse. But I'll take it.
You said it yourself: they're probably not making money on these sales. The price is too low. These kinds of deals are usually pricing errors.

I also think maybe you got unlucky with your package from Nashville, as others got normal looking cases from Memphis.

Are these 'Premium Guard' filters the same as 'Prime Guard' and 'Ecogard' filters? The Prime Guards and Ecogards appear to be
the same so I'm wondering if these are too.

My case came today from somebody named Dale Head at Premium Guard in Memphis. Corners were slightly dinged, but no water damage, the picture is of the filter in the most squashed box-no damage. These little guys are TOUGH-I can't squeeze them in my hand like a Fram! New date code is a bonus. Thanks, Dale!
PG4612.jpg

Last edited:
My case came today from Nashville. Corners were slightly dinged, but no water damage, the picture is of the filter in the most squashed box-no damage. These little guys are TOUGH-I can't squeeze them in my hand like a Fram XG! New date code is a bonus.
View attachment 221792
I guess they were packed loose like @NormanBuntz reported? Edit: I see you edited your post. Not sure when someone is referencing the carrier's origin scan location vs the address on the label.
I just received my 12 PG4612 filters shipped from Premium Guard in Nashville, TN. I have a strong suspicion that these may have been "salvage" from a recent storm or tornado in TN. Some of the filter boxes have cardboard residue on them, like from an outer box that got wet. But I inspected all 12: no rust, no dents and no rattles. All had plastic seals. The date code on mine is 24MHM15 3470. These didn't come in a regular carton of 12. They were packed loose in a shipping box. Packaging could have been better, but for 83 cents each, who can be picky?

View attachment 220607
Anyone know how to read their date codes?

Last edited:
Are these 'Premium Guard' filters the same as 'Prime Guard' and 'Ecogard' filters? The Prime Guards and Ecogards appear to be
the same so I'm wondering if these are too.
Premium Guard is actually the parent company the other you listed are sub brands.

Reactions: pbm
As far as pricing I always figure there's some accounting angle. You need it GONE, sell it at a loss and get a tax deduction or something.

I don't know exactly but I think there's gotta be some reason they don't just throw them in the dumpster.

It stayed up too long -- I don't think it was a pricing error. I think they needed to empty a warehouse

As far as pricing I always figure there's some accounting angle. You need it GONE, sell it at a loss and get a tax deduction or something.

I don't know exactly but I think there's gotta be some reason they don't just throw them in the dumpster.

It stayed up too long -- I don't think it was a pricing error. I think they needed to empty a warehouse
That would make sense if they had it on sale in other marketplaces, not just Walmart.

I got Lot No. 24MHM22 8748, made in Vietnam. Based on photos here, I'm guessing the "3470" identifies a plant in China, and "8748" identifies a plant in Vietnam. The bypass spring holder has a hole like this Pronto filter. A ton of adhesive visible at the bottom. My concern is there are some streaks of that might dislodge over time.

Last edited:
Got my last 3 cases, 5 total now. All of mine are made in china but look good.
Lol, did you order 2 cases? What are you going to do with all those filters? Some of us missed the deal. Well, if there are some people with excess filters who are wiling to donate, I would like 2 or more, lol.

I got Lot No. 24MHM22 8748, made in Vietnam. Based on photos here, I'm guessing the "3470" identifies a plant in China, and "8748" identifies a plant in Vietnam. The bypass spring holder has a hole like this Pronto filter. A ton of adhesive visible at the bottom. My concern is there are some streaks of that might dislodge over time.

Interesting. So, I had gotten a few individually when HomeDepot was selling them for $2.35 each. Thats the one I cut open on page 2 of this thread. Made in China. The first case I received was also made in China. Second case I got today made in Vietnam. Date codes for both cases were 24XXXXX XXXX similar to what you posted. The ones I got individially from HD were date coded 23XXXXX XXXX.

Lol, did you order 2 cases? What are you going to do with all those filters? Some of us missed the deal. Well, if there are some people with excess filters who are wiling to donate, I would like 2 or more, lol.

I do mechanic work on the side and these filters fit half or more of the cars I work on. Its about as universal of a oil filter as it gets.
I usually buy these by the case from RA. But this was to good to pass up.

First order was 3 cases and then another 2 when the price dropped.
Anyone near NoVA/DC area that needs a filter I will sell them one at cost.

I do mechanic work on the side and these filters fit half or more of the cars I work on. Its about as universal of a oil filter as it gets.
I usually buy these by the case from RA. But this was to good to pass up.

First order was 3 cases and then another 2 when the price dropped.
Anyone near NoVA/DC area that needs a filter I will sell them one at cost.
Ditto. As I've said I'll use these on Subarus, Hondas, Nissans.

Apparently H/K had a big to-do about incorrect bypass pressure somehow damaging engines circa 2018. I don't service any H/K products ATM, but I would just install THE correct filter as CYA if it arose

Ditto. As I've said I'll use these on Subarus, Hondas, Nissans.

Apparently H/K had a big to-do about incorrect bypass pressure somehow damaging engines circa 2018. I don't service any H/K products ATM, but I would just install THE correct filter as CYA if it arose
So, when I looked for this filter on Amazon, I had my sons Kia Rio pulled up in the account. It said this filter fit....so, I was surprised. Much smaller can than the OEM or aftermarket Hyundai filters.

So, when I looked for this filter on Amazon, I had my sons Kia Rio pulled up in the account. It said this filter fit....so, I was surprised. Much smaller can than the OEM or aftermarket Hyundai filters.
Yeah, I had only briefly stumbled upon a thread here about the H/K thing. The particular thread was from 2018 but I don't know when the issue allegedly began.

I could research more but I'd have to climb out of several other rabbit holes first. Translation: don't care enough

Back