GM makes big move up in J.D. Power quality survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I just will not believe that , I know plenty of people who have had hondas and toyotas for decades , neglected the car and it runs fine.

So basically, you don't believe facts if they don't line up with your preconceived notions of Toyota/Honda quality. Not surprising since; IMO, Toyota/Honda quality has been drastically overrated by consumers for over decade.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I just will not believe that , I know plenty of people who have had hondas and toyotas for decades , neglected the car and it runs fine.

So basically, you don't believe facts if they don't line up with your preconceived notions of Toyota/Honda quality. Not surprising since; IMO, Toyota/Honda quality has been drastically overrated by consumers for over decade.

Oh yeah. Their quality has fallen for sure. But their ego has not. And people still have that perception. So really it's beter for them - they are building cheaper (cost and quality) cars and making more money.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Haha, there's one for the vocal anti GM crowd here.

Me? I like GM products. Always have. Never cared for their plasticy interiors, though. Unlike Ford and Chrysler, they were the only American company that could make a 4 speed automatic transaxle work.

I see this a lot in magazine articles and in places like here but I haven't been in a car made in the last 20 years that didn't have cheap plastic interiors. Every car and truck I see has a plastic dash with plastic knobs.
21.gif

I'm not sure that this survey means anything at all, like most of what comes out of the shop that compiled it.
Still, GM products were never as bad a they were made out to be.
You see plenty of old FWD A cars still running around, as well as bunches on barely maintained but still kicking GM cars from the 'nineties.
I'd take a Honda every day of the week and twice on Sundays, but that's just personal taste.
I doubt that anyone would go wrong with a new car from either GM or Ford and none of the cars on this list are standout stinkers.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm not surprised. As a purchaser of a vehicle built under the "new" GM, I've been very happy with it. The interior is still rattle-free 2 years on, and the car still gets exceptional fuel mileage.

The GM of today is NOT the GM of 10 years ago for sure! Nearly going out of business apparently gets you kick started

Agreed, nothing like seeing the Grim Reaper's shadow to spur some much-needed changes. In this case, it's kept American workers in decent-paying jobs making some pretty decent cars/trucks, and I'm all for that. Even if it did take a near-death experience to spur it...

GM's finally putting out some quality products at every level and every market segment. The Caddy ATS out-handles the comparable BMW, the 2014 Silverado/Sierra twins are impressing reviewers, the much-maligned 2013 Malibu got a needed and better-reviewed emergency refresh heading into MY 2014, Buick is getting set to release some interesting new metal, and Car and Driver slotted the new Impala #2 in their July 2013 issue's (IIRC, could have been the June 2013 issue) full-size car test. All in all, GM's doing a lot of things right these days.

Sure, they can improve in some areas, like knocking some heads at the dealer level to improve customer service. Overall, though, they're doing things a darn sight better than they were, and that's moved them back into the heart of the industry in all metrics.

Compare the number of 60's/70's Chevys on the road with the number of 60's/70's Hondas, Toyotas, and BMWs, and then talk about longevity.

Last edited:
Not surprised by this. I had no real actual problems with my cruze in 16k miles. Our equinox was trouble free during the 18k we had it, and my dad's cruze has been perfect too. In fact, so was my grandmothers malibu with 34k miles when her lease was up and she traded it for a cruze.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

You see plenty of old FWD A cars still running around, as well as bunches on barely maintained but still kicking GM cars from the 'nineties.

That's kind of the thing, they really screwed up from about 1997-2009 ish on anything with a V6. Super cheap rustproofing on W-bodies. EVAP leaks. Those intake gaskets. Piston slap. The LS series V8 trucks are fine and the 4 cyl cars (save the aveo) grind along like cockroaches.

My 2007 ecotec HHR slipped through most QC issues but its rear doors are rusting under a dumb plastic trim cover. Six years is a little soon.

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
Compare the number of 60's/70's Chevys on the road with the number of 60's/70's Hondas, Toyotas, and BMWs, and then talk about longevity.

The problem with this comparison is that Honda, Toyota, and BMW only made compact cars. Now, calculate how many GM compact cars are still alive from then. Start counting the Vega, Chevette, Corvair, and other small cars.

Whenever I see someone talk about GM cars from the 60s, I almost always hear of cars much larger than a Toyota Corolla or Datsun 210.

I highly doubt a GM has less problem than toyota and honda.

OH [censored], my buddies dad has an $80k Lexus SUV in his driveway that's been back to the dealer a few times since he bought it. His older out of warranty one last year blew a $500 headlight, and $1k sunroof part whatever it was.

Its 2013 not 2001, things change in a decade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Hmmmm Mazda and VW way down the list. We've been told how good they are.

VW is kind of famous for sucking.... However, if you are like me, you had one and want another because of how they drive.
smile.gif

Then you have a problem and .. You remember that "Oh yeah, it's a VW."

They have said that the Jetta is the 2nd sportiest car out of germany behind a 3-series. And BMW still is preferred to Audi in most areas, AFAIK. Nevermind that VW is now Mexican.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Haha, there's one for the vocal anti GM crowd here.

Me? I like GM products. Always have. Never cared for their plasticy interiors, though. Unlike Ford and Chrysler, they were the only American company that could make a 4 speed automatic transaxle work.

I see this a lot in magazine articles and in places like here but I haven't been in a car made in the last 20 years that didn't have cheap plastic interiors. Every car and truck I see has a plastic dash with plastic knobs.
21.gif

This, when I had our 03 CTS we drove an 03 Lexus and the wife who just came out of an 02 Jetta TDI could not believe how nice the CTS was as compared to the Jetta and the Lexus. I think some people have not sat in a new GM, heck my 98 Buick isn't really bad. Lots of folks ON THIS BOARD are stuck in the 90s, 80s and 70s. All I have is GM stuff. The ones I own now and in the past were better than the Nissan, VW and Honda that I owned. I have basically stopped arguing with people on this board about it. I drive what I like and I like GM stuff.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Hmmmm Mazda and VW way down the list. We've been told how good they are.

VW is kind of famous for sucking.... However, if you are like me, you had one and want another because of how they drive.
smile.gif

Tell me how they drive... Because my Jetta, Sucked 80,000 miserable broken, unremarkable A to B miles.
I will take my old Dodge Daytona Turbo or Shelby Lancer any day. At least it started every time I turned the key. I can't speak for other VWs, they maybe awesome, but you couldn't give me a Jetta for free and you couldn't pay me to take a TDI.

Originally Posted By: EType
More remarkable to me is that Scion is at the bottom.

They were virtually at the top if I remember correctly.

You never see a radical plummet like that in any performance table and with autos, it usually takes time for changes like in either direction to occur.

It is truly astounding!

The FR-S has major engine issues.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15577

Initial quality ratings are fine, but how they hold up down the
road will determine if people buy again. Congrats to GM.

I have yet to own a bad car EVER in 25 years including ones with terrible reputations. (Jeep, Toyota, GM, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Renault(short term)

My wife has an 8yr/150k Legacy turbo which makes Consumer Reports used car to avoid list. The first issues and nothing extraordinary cropped up at 147k miles.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have yet to own a bad car EVER in 25 years including ones with terrible reputations. (Jeep, Toyota, GM, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Renault(short term)

My wife has an 8yr/150k Legacy turbo which makes Consumer Reports used car to avoid list. The first issues and nothing extraordinary cropped up at 147k miles.

This is how I feel too, which is why I use forums and word of mouth before all this other trash you see from these sites like CR. It is as next to meaningless as it gets.

I think its amazing that Porsche is at the top! Those cars surely get driven harder than the average toyota and GM and its still the most reliable. Thats awesome.

Corvairs and Novas are quite popular, and have large enthusiast followings. Vegas are popular as V-8 conversion sleepers, I just saw one the other day. The last B-210 I saw was the one I owned in 1982. Size of the car is really not relevant. Most cars in the 60's and 70's were big cars. Toyota's attempt to sell a bigger car here at that time was a flop. Companies like Mercedes, Rolls, and Jaguar made bigger cars in large numbers during that era, but very few of them survive, either, simply because they are impossible to keep on the road for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back