PG4612 oil filter $9.99 / 12 pack - Walmart

Yeah, I had only briefly stumbled upon a thread here about the H/K thing. The particular thread was from 2018 but I don't know when the issue allegedly began.

I could research more but I'd have to climb out of several other rabbit holes first. Translation: don't care enough
For Hyundai and Kia vehicles I stick with the OEM size. I remember that bulletin Hyundai put out. FRAM changed their filter to a 9688 because of it as I recall. In any case, I have a case of Hyundai OEMS, plus several other OEM equivalents. No need to use these in those cars for me.

Reactions: D60
Which seems better/more reliable, the PG4612 rated for 5k miles or the Super Tech ST6607 (made in USA by Champ) rated for 10k miles? I'm not a fan of the stamped leaf spring in the ST6607 (questionable metal-to-metal seal), but the excess adhesive in the PG4612 doesn't seem great either.

Last edited:
Someone in my area of WNY is trying to hustle these. Lol. Bet they’re reselling the Walmart ones

IMG_3873.jpg

Who else has streaks of adhesive / glue in their filters?

So, just read through your thread. The example you posted is pretty sloppy.

I just looked at all of mine from both cases and I do see the ring of glue around the base (near the bypass.) No streaks though. I have seen a lot of filters like that. I wouldn't think that would break off. The streaks in your example, I don't know. That's disappointing. I'll make sure I examine every one I use much closer before installing.

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal, because if it was, I'm sure we would have seen a damaged engine caused by a piece of this glue breaking off. If that was the case, PG would have probably just throwing these in the dumpster rather than taking a risk and selling them to the masses. Imagine what the quick lube and BBQ's are throwing on cars? I doubt the tech is looking in the hole and questioning a streak of glue. Just saying. At the end of the day, we all have to decide what we want to do.

Last edited:
So, just read through your thread. The example you posted is pretty sloppy.

I just looked at all of mine from both cases and I do see the ring of glue around the base (near the bypass.) No streaks though. I have seen a lot of filters like that. I wouldn't think that would break off. The streaks in your example, I don't know. That's disappointing. I'll make sure I examine every one I use much closer before installing.

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal, because if it was, I'm sure we would have seen a damaged engine caused by a piece of this glue breaking off. If that was the case, PG would have probably just throwing these in the dumpster rather than taking a risk and selling them to the masses. Imagine what the quick lube and BBQ's are throwing on cars? I doubt the tech is looking in the hole and questioning a streak of glue. Just saying. At the end of the day, we all have to decide what we want to do.
Yeah, it seems unlikely that some bits of relatively soft glue would make a difference.

Got my second dozen. The first dozen I got for my neighbor down the street from me who has three Hondas.

The second I'm using to give my customers a nice sparkling oil change with synthetic. It'll save me maybe $15, but I always enjoy showing folks how they can maintain their vehicles themselves..

17172694354125531659824084110114.jpg

Back