Overhyped automotive products that fade away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall the name of the stuff...but I remember watching those infomercials where people would gather around an engine in a big freezer...and the oil had been drained out of the engine. It would then start like normal and everyone was amazed. Seemed like those commercials were on all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
Liquid Glass

please tell me youre joking.. liquid glass is the best product i have ever used of its kind. beats the crap out of any everyday wax on the market

I applied an entire bottle to my Mazda over the course of a year and I saw no advantages over any wax 1/2 its price. It didn't bead water as long as Turtle Wax Platinum.

i put 3 coats on my car over the course of 3 days about a month ago, and i only used 1/4 of the bottle.

how many coats did you put on to use the whole bottle?

Those purple lights that were supposed to negate the on coming brights,they were mounted on the inside of the windshield pointed out and down.

SplitFire spark plugs predate the '90s. I remember as a kid perusing my dad's monthly (seemed like it anyway) J.C. Whitney catalogs in the late '50s and SplitFire spark plugs were always a featured product. One of the nice things about being an old phart is being able to call you whippersnappers up on something you think is relatively recent...
wink.gif

Liquid glass is not going to fade away because as bad as some people think it is, it get the job done. It's on top of many waxes out there. If you think liquid glass doesn't last long, try the Meguiar NXT. THAT product totally suck in every aspect.

Try this one: Mr. Clean auto wash. That thing should just DIE

Well that is interesting Ray. I'd never heard of them until maybe 1993 or 1994 when they began to promote Splitfire like crazy. At the time, they made it sound like a recent invention.

I figured that if the technology were for real, every company would start doing it once the patent expired.

So if they were around in the late 50s, the patent (if any) had already long expired by the 1990s and that knowledge alone would have practically proven that the fantastic claims were bogus.

(And by the way... only an old phart would claim something from 10 years ago to be "recent"
wink.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
SplitFire spark plugs... hyped beyond belief in the mid 90s. I haven't seen or heard of them in years. I guess they must not have been as great as they were supposed to be.

TriplEdge wiper blades... I remember all the infomercials hyping the miracle performance in the 80s I think. I actually saw some in Wal Mart. Relegated to the end of the wiper aisle with only a handful of sizes.

Of course, then there was Slick50.

seen the split fires in wal amrt every time I walk in wally world.

I got a set of 4 Splitfires in a junk Evinrude V4 powerhead and since they were the right heat range for some of my smaller old motors I've been using them. So far just great in a '50 Johnson 10 hp. and '59 Evinrude 18 hp. They seem to shrug off that heavy oil mix in the older units.

Those fuel line/rail magnets that claimed to make dramatic MPG improvements when installed, even on an EFI engine. All they ever claimed was the fact that they alter the fuel on an atomic level and that helps in burning cleaner (LOL! try that on an EFI engine)

When Splitfires came out, I was driving a 4 cyl Mustang. Thought I'd try a set, go to the parts store. It went like this:
"Set of Splitfires, 2.3L Ford."
"They're $7.00."
"Dang. Good thing I only need four."
"No sir, that's EACH."
"Screw that, gimme Autolites then."
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
When Splitfires came out, I was driving a 4 cyl Mustang. Thought I'd try a set, go to the parts store. It went like this:
"Set of Splitfires, 2.3L Ford."
"They're $7.00."
"Dang. Good thing I only need four."
"No sir, that's EACH."
"Screw that, gimme Autolites then."
lol.gif

my 89 2.3 needed 8 spark plugs. so when I asked about the split fires and they said about that price. I said screw that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back