Overhyped automotive products that fade away

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may still be available, but nowhere near as popular. Popularity has faded. See the first post. It sort of sets the guidelines for this thread.

Guidelines? Lighten up.
lol.gif

You know the sale figures for these products at ANYTIME they have been for sale?
wink.gif

The stuff is still for sale. Some are still on TV. Slick 50 is advertised about every week in Southern California packaged with QS oil. Just because YOU may not use them or see them around doesn't mean they are not being used.
smile.gif

If we went by what we see on this board, AutoRX, LC and FP are the top selling products out there and Lucas and Valvoline are barely hanging on!

BTW the first post made this statement "Of course, then there was Slick 50".

Of course we know there still IS Slick 50, admittedly in a different formula

[ May 24, 2006, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Triple-edge wipers were basically displaced by the Euro-style Valeo wipers that will become standard on all cars over the next few years. Those wipers are amazing compared with regular wipers.

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
remember AURI Car wax. I think it was one of the first 30 min informercial they came out with. with the 2 brits.

grin.gif

Wasn't that the infomercial product that showed a hot laser burning through metal but couldn't penetrate the Auri applied door of a white Pontiac?
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ocrstar:
Goodyear Aquatread tires, Durashine polish, Rain Dance polish, and Arco Graphite oil.

I don't know about Rain Dance polish, but the wax is still around. I still use it.

I used Rain Dance wax for years as water beaded longer than other products that I'd try once in awhile. The last time I used NuFinish on all of the vehicles, and since it goes on and off easier, with what seems like as good or better beading so far, I'll continue using. In one test that I ran across on cars that aren't garage queens Nufinish did as well as Zaino on length of time to bead water, and did better than Zaino in handling bird poop.

STP doesn't seem to be as advertised or used as much as it was at one time.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
Saf-T Man from Service Merchandise stores.

It was a full size fully clothed dummy that you(women) would put in your front seat so women would feel secure driving around alone. I guess it was supposed to ward off carjackers in the 1990's when it became a problem.

I used to work with someone whom had one of those.
rolleyes.gif
I myself got suckered by Durashine (more like Duracrap) and Slick50.
pat.gif
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
remember AURI Car wax. I think it was one of the first 30 min informercial they came out with. with the 2 brits.

grin.gif

Wasn't that the infomercial product that showed a hot laser burning through metal but couldn't penetrate the Auri applied door of a white Pontiac?
lol.gif

That was a Durashine infomercial. I had bought a bottle of the wash and polish. They worked ok the first rain (I wrote them and told them it was a good product. It was before a really heavy downpour). They actually sent me a couple bottles after I wrote the letter. It was 1997, I believe.

You'd never know from Wally-World, I'd say there's a Fram revival. They've completely crowded out the ST's (no great loss, he said again) for Fram, and there are just a couple of sad Motorcraft filters with the boxes all ripped up.

And of course, their little look-up device has been dead for 6 months, so you really can't even buy a Fram unless you walk in knowing the number you need. I tell ya, you need sunglasses it's so bright in that aisle!

Penzoil and Quaker State package their oil with Slick 50. I guess you call that an endorsement, even though they all come from the same company. You just have to remember, that both Penzoil and Quaker State are saying, buy our product, you need to add Slick 50, too. Does that mean that Penzoil and Quaker State are lacking something on their own? I'd rather use an oil that did not require the purchase of an additive, to complete my lubrication needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back