Overhyped automotive products that fade away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I've had good luck with Liquid Glass over the years.

Its even good for "bug proofing" the windshield.

Original Tripledge: had them work almost perfectly for about five years on one car (never garaged), just flipped and swapped them every so often. Tried another set on another car and it was, seemingly, not the same product.

Hype wasn't so easy before all Americans regarded the TV being on as a given norm; (by the end of the 1970's at the latest, I'd say).

There likely still are some of the same ads in the back of Field & Stream or Popular Mechanics that have been running forever.
(Baby quail).

What was the car wax they used to set fire to the hood to prove it's effectiveness? I seem to recall several Acrylic waxes being hawked.

I installed Triple-Edge wiper blades on both cars 3 or 4 years ago, both sets are holding up well & work great. Even the guys who inspect the cars don't try to sell me new wiper blades!
grin.gif

SplitFire spark plugs... hyped beyond belief in the mid 90s. I haven't seen or heard of them in years. I guess they must not have been as great as they were supposed to be.

TriplEdge wiper blades... I remember all the infomercials hyping the miracle performance in the 80s I think. I actually saw some in Wal Mart. Relegated to the end of the wiper aisle with only a handful of sizes.

Of course, then there was Slick50.

How aboutPower Up NNL 690 . They say that their chlorinated paraffin based additive is different than all other chlorinated paraffins because they have figured out how to run high doses for long intervals with no damage to the engine. They state that no other chemist knows what they know about oil and oil additives. This from a distributer that also says that you can run the cheapest oil there is and this additive and only change your oil once a year, no matter how many miles or what kind of weather. Yiiiikes.

been covered a zillion times nothing new the patent shows whats in it chlor, ca sulfonate, oil and solvent as I remember.
bruce

I'm only going on what they say. Could it be that they are selling something that can't do what they say it can. Oh, say it isn't so, Bruce.

These guys also sell a by-pass oil filter, Kleenoil . They claim it's the real deal. I got one of their filters on a trade from a friend in Texas. It's cast aluminum and looks like it came out of the mold a little early. I'm afraid to put any oil in it because it looks kind of porous, and might leak, especially if you threaded a fitting into its base. It might be a good filter but I'm trading it to the owner of a company that makes another bypass filter that I know works. I told him he needs to have one to know what his competition is up to, and I need a filter. If my friend in Texas is lurking, I hope you like your filter. Soon I'll have one back, just like it.

If you a gadget freek, you got to be careful when it comes to messing with your ride.

The Club (cut through the steering wheel with a hacksaw).
New Finish car polish (orange bottle).
Tune-up in a bottle.

I always remember the auto polish liquid from the late night infomercials. Stuff would neutralize strong acids, resist torch flames, fix deep scratches, bake a cake and prevent your daughter from getting knocked up in the back seat.

All for 3 easy payments of $19.99
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
The Club (cut through the steering wheel with a hacksaw).
New Finish car polish (orange bottle).
Tune-up in a bottle.

Oh crap, I still use NuFinish...seems to work well?

I don't use my 'clubs' anymore though
smile.gif

Split Fires are on their way back in folks. I just saw the special on the Speed Channel the other morning. New and improved, platinum I believe. All new technology?

TriplEdge are still in stock at Wally world, as has been said.

Aqua Treads were replaced (I would think anyway) by the new Triple Treads.

Anybody remember STP Oil? Back in the mid- to late '70s, they offered an oil (sold in K-Marts) that was supposed to go 15,000 miles between oil changes with no damage to the engine. I don't recall the viscosity -- 10W-50, maybe?

I don't think I ever tried it. Even then I knew going 1.5 to 2 years between oil changes would be insane.

-- Paul W.

Nu-Finish beads water longer on my cars than Liquid Glass ever did. And don't get me started on the Mr Clean thing....whatever kind of soap that came with stripped all the wax off my car. The only way a car is going to dry itself with no residue is if you wash it in a wind-free, dust free enviromnent and even then I'm not convinced it would do what it advertises. Mine hit the bottom of the dumpster after the first use...thankfully it was a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back