Outhink the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Dodge 2.7's only failed due to the PCV valve, and a different oil could offer no benefits.
The 5.7l in the 300 must be changed at 3k, no oil could live past 3k miles.
GM L76 DOD problems could never be helped by anything.
Engines never wear
Nobody should ever exceed (or shorten) the factory service interval.
Engineers never have any other pressures on them, they only ever design a perfect specification.

BTW, backspacing oil is done because why? Did the engineer make a mistake? Did average aoil qualities change? If the owners manual is perfect, why would they ever change it?

We should all drive our car in the average manner, in the average climate, the average amount of runtime, with the average number of passengers, and carrying the average load.

AApparently the troll needed attention.

There was/is a member here that uses a non specified weight of oil in his Enzo Ferrari.

I'm not sure if I think that Bold, Arrogant or Stupid.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

You need to ask the manufactures. Ask them why they replaced the term "optimal protection" with the term "adequate protection". Let us know what you find out, thanks.

Adequate protection usually takes your engine well beyond almost every other major component on the car.

Optimal protection just means somebody gets a really good used engine...! The rest of the car is DONE.

All that might be true, if the manual were written only by the design engineers. Marketing departments and accountants also have their say. If marketing can sell the fact that maintenance costs are lower than the competition by extending the oil change length, they will push their agenda. Accountants also push for lower costs, etc. as long as the change doesn't increase warranty claims, the engineers only have so much say.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I know this is going to get me a lot of flack, but I frankly don't care.

I have been on this forum for quite some time and it appears to be a common theme that people on here seem to think they know better as to what viscosity, interval, filter, etc.

IMO, it is absurd to think that we know more about the vehicle than the designers of the vehicle. If the manufacturer calls for 5W-30, then that is what I put in. I don't put in 0W-40 because it makes me "feel" better. What I "feel" about an engine oil is completely irrelevant.

And another one are people that "feel" they need a longer filter and putting on a filter that is 3/4" longer is going to make all the difference in the world to an engine.

My truck calls for a dexos approved oil, instead of bellyaching about that I can't use an oil that makes me "feel" good, I use an oil that meets the manufacturer recommendation.

I am a firm believer that if you maintain a service interval as per the manufacturer, the engine will probably outlast the body.

I'm glad to see bigt61's comment was deleted (even though it lives on in the quotes...) What's wrong with some people?

OP, your post doesn't make sense. You've been on this site going on two years. I'm ashamed of this thread...

Originally Posted By: expat
There was/is a member here that uses a non specified weight of oil in his Enzo Ferrari.

I'm not sure if I think that Bold, Arrogant or Stupid.

You mean AEhaas who ran Redline 5w20 (which was a 5w30 basically) in his wife's Lamborghini Murcielago that is specified 10w60?

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Adequate protection usually takes your engine well beyond almost every other major component on the car.

Optimal protection just means somebody gets a really good used engine...! The rest of the car is DONE.

Usually? That's very reassuring.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
If you can not outthink an automaker, that is fine.
Some here have more intelligence than your automaker.

They should start their own car company.

The manufacturers recommend OCIs, grades and time limits based upon the lowest common denominator owner, knowing that they'll bust drain intervals anyway and can't be trusted to grasp the importance of a temp/visc chart.
We here really do know better as do many others not on this board.
There is life beyond what any manufacturer recommends.
The informed owner can and should think for himself.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The manufacturers recommend OCIs, grades and time limits based upon the lowest common denominator owner, knowing that they'll bust drain intervals anyway and can't be trusted to grasp the importance of a temp/visc chart.
We here really do know better as do many others not on this board.
There is life beyond what any manufacturer recommends.
The informed owner can and should think for himself.

+1

I have been on this forum for quite some time and it appears to be a common theme that people on here seem to think they know better as to what viscosity, interval, filter, etc.

IMO, it is absurd to think that we know more about the vehicle than the designers of the vehicle. If the manufacturer calls for 5W-30, then that is what I put in. I don't put in 0W-40 because it makes me "feel" better. What I "feel" about an engine oil is completely irrelevant.

And another one are people that "feel" they need a longer filter and putting on a filter that is 3/4" longer is going to make all the difference in the world to an engine.

My truck calls for a dexos approved oil, instead of bellyaching about that I can't use an oil that makes me "feel" good, I use an oil that meets the manufacturer recommendation.

Staggers me that so many people don't understand this.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Manufacturer's have proven time and time again they can't be trusted with our best interests.

This. The manufacturer's interests are only to keep warranty claims down and sell more vehicles. They don't care if your vehicle runs after the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Staggers me that so many people don't understand this.

Me too.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Do the engineers write the owner's manuals?

Nope, that would be the lawyers.

stchman, read my signature. Take it to heart.

Ed

My Hemi says to use 5W-20 on the oil cap...manual says I can use 10w-30 in warm climates. So I will use the thicker oil for better protection. It rarely gets below freezing here, so really no need to use anything other than 10w-30.

My wife's Hyundai is the same...says 5w-20 on the cap, manual says you can use up to a 10w-40 viscosity in 32*+ temps.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
You need to ask the manufactures. Ask them why they replaced the term "optimal protection" with the term "adequate protection". Let us know what you find out, thanks.
I have zero need to ask. Ford did an enormous amount of testing with xW-20 oils (much more than you or I or anyone on this board will ever do). After 150K miles and at least 50K of that towing in the hot and cold, I have full confidence in the oil. My UOA stream looks as good if not better than some of the xW-30/40 UOAs I have seen. Again, what harm has been done? Nearly every engine out there far outlasts the chassis it is installed in, so what is the fear of xW-20 and adequate versus optimal protection. How much MORE protection is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back