Outhink the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is going to get me a lot of flack, but I frankly don't care.

I have been on this forum for quite some time and it appears to be a common theme that people on here seem to think they know better as to what viscosity, interval, filter, etc.

IMO, it is absurd to think that we know more about the vehicle than the designers of the vehicle. If the manufacturer calls for 5W-30, then that is what I put in. I don't put in 0W-40 because it makes me "feel" better. What I "feel" about an engine oil is completely irrelevant.

And another one are people that "feel" they need a longer filter and putting on a filter that is 3/4" longer is going to make all the difference in the world to an engine.

My truck calls for a dexos approved oil, instead of bellyaching about that I can't use an oil that makes me "feel" good, I use an oil that meets the manufacturer recommendation.

I am a firm believer that if you maintain a service interval as per the manufacturer, the engine will probably outlast the body.

the other add on is that the "feel" good seems to rotate only around oil and oil changes.

Where obviously there are tons of other systems of the car that can be obsessed over that has equal if not greater effect.
It's an effect of the oil commercials and recreational maintenance.

People get all huffy and self-righteous over the Nitrogen air as a "scam" over in the tire subforum, but using N2 in tires pretty much is on the same level of obsessiveness as the oil-related things that people don't get derided for.

Last edited:
In general, I agree with the OP, but if everyone just did that, BITOG would cease to exist.
smile.gif

BITOG is about splitting hairs, and we've got quite a few hair splitting PhDs on here.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
It seems you do not need BITOG anymore.

Use your manual with caution though...

It is not as though BITOG was a NEED. I like cars and enjoy reading about cars. I was reading a thread over in the oil filter section that someone has to have an oil filter with a thicker gasket, why, does the filter with the thinner gasket leak? You have to admit, that sounds absurd.

Good points. One could just go by the owner's manual and service advisors. Its a great default position.
Yet, when I shop for tires for example, I look for newer technology than what came on the car. Upgrades. Better.
Thats not for everybody, understood.
Not just tires, you might notice that the MB 229.5 oil spec is awesome compared to other specs your car might have.
Oil filters is another area where I don't want the basic stuff thats OE, I want something that cleans out more junk out of the oil. Just looking for better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
you might notice that the MB 229.5 oil spec is awesome compared to other specs your car might have.

According to OP's past threads, any Euro oil is primarily [censored].

Originally Posted By: stchman

IMO, it is absurd to think that we know more about the vehicle than the designers of the vehicle. If the manufacturer calls for 5W-30, then that is what I put in. I don't put in 0W-40 because it makes me "feel" better. What I "feel" about an engine oil is completely irrelevant.

And thats perfectly fine. Its your prerogative to blindly follow the print you read in your manual. Personally, I engage my brain when I make a decision. Best example is CAFE dictated viscosities.

There is overwhelming evidence the drive to ultra thin oils is borne of CAFE requirements. Even the manuals language is telling. The term has changed from "best" protection to "adequate" protection. Not hard to figure that out, is it? Also, again my brain tells me an ultra thin oil is probably not the best selection in South TX. I do agree in the northern tier of the US and all of Canada - it might be.

No flames for you. This is just a explanation of my thought process. Its not about "feel". For me, with my technical background, its about thought.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2WD 5.3L
Mobil 1 5W-30
AC Delco PF48

Per your owners manual: "Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade."

It states nothing about using Mobil 1, a top-tier synthetic. Nor can you provide any evidence that when following the manufacturer service interval, you'll achieve lower wear or longer engine life with Mobil 1. Good job on trying to outthink GM.

tumblr_inline_n6d6m58Rk21qamdxu.gif

I have been on this forum for quite some time and it appears to be a common theme that people on here seem to think they know better as to what viscosity, interval, filter, etc.

And another one are people that "feel" they need a longer filter and putting on a filter that is 3/4" longer is going to make all the difference in the world to an engine.

My truck calls for a dexos approved oil, instead of bellyaching about that I can't use an oil that makes me "feel" good, I use an oil that meets the manufacturer recommendation.

I am a firm believer that if you maintain a service interval as per the manufacturer, the engine will probably outlast the body.

Well, for my 2010 Subaru I should run SM or better, and viscosity is based on temperature. They also say when running higher load I should run higher viscosity. Now I am lost based on your comment because my Owners Manual doesn't tell me exactly what to do.

Not all manufacturers give you one single choice.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
And thats perfectly fine. Its your prerogative to blindly follow the print you read in your manual. Personally, I engage my brain when I make a decision. Best example is CAFE dictated viscosities.
Despite the move to "CAFE dictated viscosities" as you say, what harm has it done? I live in the same climate that you do and xW-20 has served my engine(s) well--even while towing and in Nevada/Montana heat of 115F+. I have said it before that when xW-16 and xW-12 are the main stays, everyone on BITOG will be talking about how thick xW-20 is...

Its good to question all things in life, otherwise you're just one of the sheep that listens to the dictator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Car manufacture maintenance schedule is for the worst condition at around 20-30k miles. Example: Filters for engine and cabin are recommended for dusty area, someone add filter minder and they can extend filter change interval to more than 2-3 times recommended.

Filter manufacture recommendation is for their benefit. They recommend engine and cabin filters to be changed at 12k/12mo. At this interval the filter is just start to be more efficient than new, and it an be in service for another 20-30k miles easily.

Usually 1 size doesn't fit all.

Or 20 weight oils are as good or better as yesterday's 30 weight oils and can outperform 30 weights, even though I agree it's an overbearing EPA mandate maybe these oils are just that good.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Mobil 1 5W-30
AC Delco PF48

Per your owners manual: "Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade."

It states nothing about using Mobil 1, a top-tier synthetic. Nor can you provide any evidence that when following the manufacturer service interval, you'll achieve lower wear or longer engine life with Mobil 1. Good job on trying to outthink GM.

{{{{ SideBar: Anybody who has ever had an ex-wife cringes at the MerylStreep video above. Just cruel to put that up there. Torture. Not cool man.}}}}}}

One who buys a GM vehicle should ONLY use AC-Delco dexos1 oil, not the wannabe-dexos me-too's out there like M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil fly-by-night.....(I'm kidding, don't flame me.) I have met people who ONLY use Motorcraft on their Fords, Mopar for their Dodges, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Also may be missing out on something better.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Mobil 1 5W-30
AC Delco PF48

tumblr_inline_n6d6m58Rk21qamdxu.gif

I wasn't trying to out think GM, I just used what they wanted. I didn't come on a forum and have a hissy fit that I couldn't use Amsoil or something else.

When I bought my truck there were only a handful of dexos approved oils, Mobil 1 was one of them. I get Mobil 1 at my local Costco for $27(incl tax) for a 6 pack. That comes to $4.50 a quart, not a bad price. Mobil 1 has been a factory fill for many GM cars, so I figure if it is good enough for them, good enough for me. Is GM perfect, far from it, but they do know a lot more about vehicles than I do.

The manufacturers recommendations are somewhat arbitrary. A trans change can go from 30k to lifetime on the same unit because they change their mind.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Its good to question all things in life, otherwise you're just one of the sheep that listens to the dictator.

You mean a Democrat?

So true my friend, though establishment Dems and Gops are more alike than different, it's all window dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back