Orange Can - 'fess up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs
I can't believe you guys have went 6 pages on this topic! Unbelievable!!!!!

I cant believe KevGuy has a million posts and topics about these stupid filters

Originally Posted By: scottyducati
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
... doesnt take a engineer to see which one is better...

Correction: A non-engineer can't tell the difference between good engineering and bad. Good engineering comes in many forms.

That was the point... the ocod is bad enough anyone can tell...lol

How? How can they tell?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

9 pages.

I's 1 page on my laptop.
I changed my preferences "Total topics to show per page: (default is 15)" to 99.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

9 pages.

I's 1 page on my laptop.
I changed my preferences "Total topics to show per page: (default is 15)" to 99.

It's still a win for the OP......even though he don't deserve it.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
... doesnt take a engineer to see which one is better...

I am an engineer and I like the orange can.

A lot of engineers in the electronics game get paid to make thing cheaper, not better. Witness the "5 tube "ACDC" radio which needed plastic knobs to keep from posing an electrocution hazard. In fact POS cars like the exploding PINTO and the half shaft rear suspension early Corvair were the product of some beauty from engineering school.

Actually you can't blame engineers for a lot of that, that sounds more like a marketing department issue, which as an engineer I can tell you is perpetually a problem.

Almost every company I've seen likes to pour money into R&D, only to turn around and have economists and marketing insist the product be half as expensive as every single properly built prototype was.

Edit: Please note, there is plenty of stupid engineers out there, and plenty more people willing to lie and call themselves one online. But since everyone already knew that anyhow lets just say the FRAM filter obviously is lacking in many huge, gaping ways its been haphazardly designed, but obviously the fanatics who need to feel accepted by pushing their religion on others will always turn a blind eye to reasoning and logic, and vehemently attack those who don't coincide with their unwavering optimism for it.

Last edited:
Now that Champion and Fram are the same company and we've got the low-priced ecore Frams in the black cans, I wonder if the orange cans will go to a metal-cap design to better compete with the Purolator Classics at the same price point. I'm envisioning something like the non-ecore Delco Duraguards but in a Fram can.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

Please note, there is plenty of stupid engineers out there, and plenty more people willing to lie and call themselves one online. But since everyone already knew that anyhow

Is is safe to assume that you are not calling me either a fake engineer or stupid?

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Quote:

Here is a POS NAPA ProSelect I will never use on my truck,wrapped in plastic.

Wow! Someone is actually bad mouthing NAPA (wix) oil filters. Are you people going to run him/her out of town for this? Sorta like what you do to me regarding FRAM.

I can back up my story about this filter. I had a local tire store do an oil change on my truck ($16.95 plus $3.00 disposal fee)using Valvoline and this filter.Upon start up my engine rattled so bad I thought it was coming apart.I had a friend install a MC filter and the rattle was gone.They ran the same deal for a few months and the next time I brought my own MC filter in exchange for their POS filter! Do a search on this forum,you will see my story.
coffee2.gif

I think the NAPA ProSelect has the funky ADBV/bypass "combo valve". Probably the cause of all the start-up noise.

I stay away from any filter that uses a "combo valve", is an "ecore design" or has non-metal end caps. Put all 3 together in a filter and wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. It's called freedom of choice.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think the NAPA ProSelect has the funky ADBV/bypass "combo valve". Probably the cause of all the start-up noise.

I stay away from any filter that uses a "combo valve", is an "ecore design" or has non-metal end caps. Put all 3 together in a filter and wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. It's called freedom of choice.
wink.gif

On this we agree. In my recent series of interviews, I heard engineers beefing about them. Basically a good idea but, "Not ready for prime time."

wink.gif

Most cartridge oil filters don't have metal end caps. The one below is Mann fleece filter for many MB engines.

0e957e0e7ac3cba68254ffd10dac3b83.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

wink.gif

Most cartridge oil filters don't have metal end caps. The one below is Mann fleece filter for many MB engines.

0e957e0e7ac3cba68254ffd10dac3b83.jpg

True ... but cartridge filters don't really use fiber end caps like a FRAM spin-on, but rather a potting material that basically seals and creates an end cap that is much more ridged and stable than a thin fiber end cap. I guess makers of spin-ons could do this too, but they usually don't to the same degree as cartridge filters.

I don't think any cartridge filter has metal end caps - I've never seen one myself. My original comment above was really meant to be in the case of spin-on filters.

Oddly enough, the Frams and Purolators I've used in my e36 do have metal end caps, so some cartridge filters do.
WRT to this thread, if the consensus is that the OP is a troll, a shill or a dolt, then why is it still active after all thse posts?

My 1985 Mercruiser boat engine calls for a Fram ph 30. I tried a Wix equivalent and the oil presssure went nuts and I had to change seals and gaskets.... Back to the Fram.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't speak for those foreign ones, but the Delco 2129 for my Caddy 3.6 has metal end caps.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
WRT to this thread, if the consensus is that the OP is a troll, a shill or a dolt, then why is it still active after all thse posts?

I think the same thing every time I get an e-mail notification to this thread.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back