Orange Can - 'fess up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is willing to fess up that they have a FRAM orange can on one of their vehicles right now?

I had one on my car until last week until I did an oil change. I put a NAPA Gold on just to get it off the shelf in the garage. Next oil change FRAM will be going back on.

Required reading before taking KevGuy's question seriously:

"People seem to be talking more positive about FRAM recently."
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...928#Post2745928

"Meet My FRAM Family."
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...951#Post2727951

"I Like FRAM!"
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...405#Post2714405

Common trend in all posts is this KevGuy.

You work for FRAM or something or is it just an OCD thing where you need to try desperately hard to grind FRAM into all of our minds?

No. I don't use FRAM. There's far better filters out there, often for cheaper.

KevGuy. Best known for degenerating a topic into Your Mom jokes when he didn't get his way, causing it to be locked.

Troll thread.

Sorry....only use P1's....and occasionally an M-1 filter.

But....I am planing on purchasing a Fram Ultra...and use it for two OCI's.

The last Fram Extra Guard (orange can) I had on my LS400 was 5-6 years ago. I don't remember where - how I got that filter.

I had Fram cartridge oil filter in my E30 few years ago, it made in USA then but the quality is not as good as Mann, Mahle, Bosch ...

No Fram oil filter of any kind is in my stash as of now, I have 1 Fram air filter.

nope. and not anytime soon either.
now, of the 18 filters that have adorned my engine in it's lifetime, 6 have been OCOD's,
1 mopar(FF),1 unk.,1 stp, 1 K&N, 1 AcDelco, 3 Valvoline, 3 Motorcraft, and Currently a Quakerstate.

and 1 Quakerstate, 1 Mobil 1, 3 Pureones, 8 WIX, and 4 Bosch in the stash.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Required reading before taking KevGuy's question seriously:

On some boards, he would be called and "Attention [censored]" for so many same theme topics.

Last edited:
You people do not comprehend what I said. I asked who had the orange can on right now?

NOT:

1) what my past posts were
2) what filter you have on right now
3) why you don't like FRAM
4) Am I trolling?

So, if yo cannot answer "yes" or "I do", etc.......please keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
I have the black can (Microgard/Fram) on one vehicle right now. In the $3-4 range, I consider Fram and Purolator interchangeable, i.e., I'll use whichever one is more convenient to obtain at the moment. The only filters I avoid are Ecores.

I have a bunch of filters in the stash, of varying quality. There are enough filters to last many more years. The best, I think, are some M1-102 Extended Performance ones by Mobil.
I have a Pure One, some Toyotas, and a Wix, etc.

The only one that scares me is an STP E-Core. That will be used last, if ever.

I have an Orange Can PH8A that is right now fastened to my engine, (1MZ-FE), like a terrible Fram Alien Face-hugger. It was the biggest, and thus when I used it it made room in the drawer, which had gotten full. This Fram will be used for my winter oil, and was my prototype to determine if a filter so big will fit on the car. I do not worry about the end caps on Orange Cans. They are glued on, but oil pressure will tend to make them seat tighter rather than looser.

I do though, worry about E-Core designs blowing a filter element. E-Cores, in my opinion, will blow through if pressure is too much, but I am not an engineer. I still think it is a valid concern.

This said, Orange Cans will do a basic job if not "stretched." There are better filters, though.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I have a bunch of filters in the stash, of varying quality. There are enough filters to last many more years. The best, I think, are some M1-102 Extended Performance ones by Mobil.
I have a Pure One, some Toyotas, and a Wix, etc.

The only one that scares me is an STP E-Core. That will be used last, if ever.

I have an Orange Can PH8A that is right now fastened to my engine, (1MZ-FE), like a terrible Fram Alien Face-hugger. It was the biggest, and thus when I used it it made room in the drawer, which had gotten full. This Fram will be used for my winter oil, and was my prototype to determine if a filter so big will fit on the car. I do not worry about the end caps on Orange Cans. They are glued on, but oil pressure will tend to make them seat tighter rather than looser.

I do though, worry about E-Core designs blowing a filter element. E-Cores, in my opinion, will blow through if pressure is too much, but I am not an engineer. I still think it is a valid concern.

This said, Orange Cans will do a basic job if not "stretched." There are better filters, though.

Thank you for your honest response.

The filters in the Stash:

BOSCH DISTANCE PLUS

BOSCH DISTANCE PLUS

BOSCH PREMIUM

(on the car) FRAM EXRA GUARD

MICROGUARD

FRAM EXTENDED GUARD

MOBIL EXTENDED PERFORMANCE

MOBIL EXTENDED PERFORMANCE

NAPA PRO-SELECT (sorry, this is a NAPA, not a Wix)

PUROLATOR PURE ONE

STP E CORE

TOYOTA

TOYOTA

KevGuy, this brings up the chronology of filter changes. The last one was a Mobil Extended Performance filter. I ran it about 14,000 miles, which it can do; that was two LONG oil change intervals with semi-synthetic. For some applications, I think one is better served by the extended performance types and for others, a standard filter is better. I wanted to run the Mobil One Extended Performance filter to the 15,000 mile mark but the car was in the shop for other reasons, and to save time I had the oil changed at the time.

This present Orange Can, of course, can be trusted for only a single change interval, and it must not be unreasonably long. I doubt that I will ever again buy an Orange Can with a stash like this, but none have ever failed me. When I have used OCODs, they have ALWAYS been oversize for the application as there is more media. If I used the standard OCOD on this car (a PH3614) I would not feel comfortable. A PG3600 or PH8A would be better. I think that the PH8A is so big it will filter more or less as well as one of the little Toyota filters for all practical purposes. I am not a Fram man, but have used the brand as one among many over the years.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I might use a free one if someone gave me one.

For target practice
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
You people do not comprehend what I said. I asked who had the orange can on right now?

NOT:

1) what my past posts were
2) what filter you have on right now
3) why you don't like FRAM
4) Am I trolling?

you do realise what you start by telling people to keep their mouths shut right? unless you are TRYING to provoke a response.....

and i did comprehend what you asked,the first thing i typed was no, not for a while, then i just added more information, which you are more than free to ignore, just as much as i am free to type it.

Who is willing to fess up that they have a FRAM orange can on one of their vehicles right now?

Nope. I think I have one in the garage, but it certainly doesn't fit either of my applications. I'm guessing it fits a Chevy small block, but I can't be sure since I don't know the model number off the top of my head. Next time I'm out there, I'll take a look. I promise you, though, it's pretty "vintage."

You, and certainly others in this thread, need to chill.
wink.gif

As far as I'm concerned, you asked a legitimate question. The same thing has crossed my mind, too. After all, Fram sells a huge number of filters, yet they get a lot of hate on the net (and from backyard mechanics, and from parts counter persons, and so forth). Someone's buying them, and it would be rather arrogant to say that "only the ignorant are."

That being said, if you bring up Fram (or any other brand of filter or oil or vehicle or anything), you're going to get answers to questions you didn't even ask. After all, this isn't a web poll with only two options. Heck, even my response about the orange can wasn't technically a yes/no answer to what you asked. However, I thought perhaps some might be interested to know that I have a Fram laying around, even with all my "love" for Wix.

Big deal. It's a good thread, and I don't consider it trolling. Do expect it to drift, however.

I have been using FRAM since 1968 in my first car a 1968 Dodge Charger to my current 2007 Honda Accord.... No problems and continue to use them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back