Ok, stop the earth...I want off...

Probably going to get banned or locked, but if I didn't post it, no one would believe me...
They have to point the blame somewhere, instead of addressing the real problem at hand. Send people participating in this crime to jail for a long time, as well as some stiff monetary penalties. Catch and release works for saving fish, it won't reform criminals.

Unfortunately I'd believe it without the link. Especially since it's in California. Some brain dead politicians New York would say the same thing if given the chance.

She might be right on target if said converters are "low hanging fruit" (my emphasis).
I too am all for punishing these crimes as mentioned above.
However, the bill she opposed might be an omnibus style bill with lots of other features.
It's so common to to underreport the details of bills.
It's one way politicians hide their intentions / spending.
It also perpetuated the numbing / dumbing of the population.

Wait till her Mercedes/BMW tail lights worth thousands are stolen with a screwdriver in minutes
funny you mentioned that...there was a recent article(s) about people hacking into modern cars via the lights because they are on the CAN bus.

Isn't it kind of silly to ban the unlawful possession of catalytic converters?

Isn't it already banned by it being an unlawful possession?

Putting aside the politics, the disgusting politics.... What I find even more appalling is her confidently and loudly spouting on about a subject, and an item that she obviously has no technical knowledge of, none. By her reasoning, she should also blame pickups and any vehicle with ground clearance as they too make theft, theft as in the crime, easier. The gall.

Many are blaming Kia/ Hyundai for "allowing" their cars to be easy to steal as well.

I would like to see more manifold converters.

It is unfortunate that California requires OE replacements. If someone could slap a $50 universal in, the air would be nearly as clean, and it's something this person could handle.

She might be right on target if said converters are "low hanging fruit" (my emphasis).
I too am all for punishing these crimes as mentioned above.
However, the bill she opposed might be an omnibus style bill with lots of other features.
It's so common to to underreport the details of bills.
It's one way politicians hide their intentions / spending.
It also perpetuated the numbing / dumbing of the population.
We apparently read different articles. "voted against the measure and blamed car manufacturers for making the part too easy to steal"

If she said - I am not voting for it because it also contains X, Y and Z - then OK.

The reality is they no longer see theft as a crime.

Back