The Solar Eclipse & The Path to Totality

Um. It's not like the Romans "committing mass suicide because the world is ending." It's because infrastructure maybe be overrun and with so many people in a congested area it may be difficult to get anywhere. And police. fire, and other Secuity services maybe overwhelmed and unable to keep things orderly...

Shoot I was hoping I would be able to put a "I survived the 2024 solar eclipse" sticker next to my "Mayan calendar of 2012" and "Y2K".

Weather permitting we plan to travel to southeast of Indianapolis, either Shelbyville or even better Fairland. The weather forecast is still variable for Monday however. There are destinations on I-65 that are a possibility as well.

I can't wait. You can take your eclipse glasses off during the actual totality and that's what I'm after.

Last edited:
Shoot I was hoping I would be able to put a "I survived the 2024 solar eclipse" sticker next to my "Mayan calendar of 2012" and "Y2K".

I have no idea what you are talking about, but guessing you might not be in the high percentile the class GPA...

It's called sarcasm. Guess tankers don't need a high GPA either.

I think sarcasm is supposed to make some sort of sense....

2012 was made up nonsense and wasn't even the correct Mayan Calander. Y2K could have been an issue but was averted by updates and the fact two digits didn't make much difference on a VCR......

Last edited:
I think sarcasm is supposed to make some sort of sense....

2012 was made up nonsense and wasn't even the correct Mayan Calander. Y2K could have been an issue but was averted by updates and the fact two digits didn't make much difference on a VCR......

That was my point. There are some that believe the upcoming solar eclipse is another apocalypse-type thing so I was making fun of it by equating it to the previous apocalypse theories.

If you have seen one solar eclipse, you have see them all! Unless this is a planned solar eclipse that will turn those looking at it into Zombies.

That was my point. There are some that believe the upcoming solar eclipse is another apocalypse-type thing so I was making fun of it by equating it to the previous apocalypse theories.

Fair enough...

Reactions: Pew
I don't know anybody who's panicking. As far as making money, it's no different from any other large event. Hotels and restaurants want to cash in, often in places that don't see much tourism. It's just a cool scientific phenomenon instead of a game or concert.
I was toying with the idea of staying somewhere but anything decent was $300-$400 for the night of the 7th. However, most had a 24-hour cancellation policy so if it turns out that the forecast is for an overcast day I think many are going to get cancelled.

Right now that area is "partly sunny" with a 20% chance of rain for Monday. Whatever that means exactly.

I was toying with the idea of staying somewhere but anything decent was $300-$400 for the night of the 7th. However, most had a 24-hour cancellation policy so if it turns out that the forecast is for an overcast day I think many are going to get cancelled.

Right now that area is "partly sunny" with a 20% chance of rain for Monday. Whatever that means exactly.

It's going to be partly sunny with high clouds here, but no hotel rooms to be had. You could maybe stay outside the zone then drive in, but no one knows what to expect with traffic with this area essentially doubling its population for a day or two...

It's going to be partly sunny with high clouds here, but no hotel rooms to be had. You could maybe stay outside the zone then drive in, but no one knows what to expect with traffic with this area essentially doubling its population for a day or two...
We are pretty much just going to aim for a place on the totality centerline, if we don't make it then we will just pull over on the road for 4 minutes wherever we happen to be.

I chuckled.

I was in Gatlinburg for the 2017 eclipse and watched it while tailgating in an old graveyard just outside Cades Cove. Took us about 30 minutes to get there from our chalet, and about an hour in traffic to get back. All in all not terrible, I expected it to be much worse.
We live in SE TX but were on vacation. We timed our return to stop in TN for the viewing. We got off I-75 and parked in the small town of Niota. It was an awesome experience. This year we are travelling to Marble Falls TX, but the cloud cover is not conducive at all.

I am fortunate that I live near Carbondale, IL, the intersection of totality of the 2017 and 2024 events.

I'll be out to see it, but not sure I'll drive far enough to get to totality. It's "close enough" at my home, so I'll probably just go outside, with my eclipse shades and look up provided the clouds cooperate.
Yeah I noticed Cabondale won the eclispe lottery. Happy viewing!

The path appears to have moved to the south 😷

IMG_3685.jpeg

We're getting 3:47 of totality here in the exurbs but unfortunately it's pretty cloudy outside.

This is my first total eclipse since I was a 2nd grader in 1979 in Oregon. Unfortunately it was cloudy that time also, pretty normal for the wet side in Oregon.

This time my daughter is a 2nd grader, interesting coincidence.

Reactions: 4WD
Back