The Solar Eclipse & The Path to Totality

It's a natural phenomenon. Why all the fear and preparation? It's not like we don't understand what's happening and think the gods are angry.

Um. It's not like the Romans "committing mass suicide because the world is ending." It's because infrastructure maybe be overrun and with so many people in a congested area it may be difficult to get anywhere. And police. fire, and other Secuity services maybe overwhelmed and unable to keep things orderly...

The hotel probably realized that if they cancel the reservations, they could now re-book the same rooms at a greatly inflated rate.

Yup. No hotel rooms available in Buffalo and I am guessing Niagara Falls either, I live not far from the main Medical Campus corridor with all the major hotels....
Oh yeah... I also think the mainline, 190, 290 might be a mess also... 33.

Maybe 400/219

I am staying home that day for sure.

I'm off that day and might just walk down to the Anchor Bar, it's gonna be a mess though...

1) it ain't that big a deal
2) there's a decent chance that many areas will not have decent weather and it will not be visible in those areas
3) there's a small chance that the cooling effect of blocking the Sun can cause an immediate formation of a thunderstorm and/or very strong winds as in almost tornado like. Been there done that, 1993 May 21st Marine State Park about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh, I was sailing my 18 ft Chrysler buccaneer when the eclipse happened and it went from being a beautiful sunny day to a giant Windstorm with rain. I didn't flip the boat but I did end up swamping it and taking on so much water that I couldn't do anything with it. The next day the park ranger told me that whenever they get that much when there's usually a tornado with it.

I suppose it's something that people want to see because it's so rare but once you've seen one it's not worth any hassle to go out of your way to see another one.

So knowing that there's a possibility of a giant Windstorm in or giant thunderstorms with accompanying wind, are these locations that are expecting big crowds actually set up to safely handle that kind of a weather event. If things start flying around and there's plenty of people in the area somebody's going to get hit with something. Yeah the chances are small, but they're not zero. There's certainly a higher chance of such a weather event than on your average nice April day.

This appeared in our local e-mail reflector here in Vermont

===============================

LONG TERM WEATHER FORECAST FOR APRIL 8 OVERCAST AND RAIN

ECLIPSE POSTPONED TO APRIL 11 FOR CLEAR SKIES

The National Weather Service in Burlington Vermont has issued a long term forecast for next week. The massive storm hitting Vermont later this week is expected to dump as much as two feet of snow on northern Vermont. A blocking front is expected to impede the movement of the storm to the Atlantic.

Aside from severely impairing eclipse viewing, driving conditions would be chaotic for the as many as 250,000 visitors expected to travel to the area.

Therefore, employing his emergency powers, Governor Phil Scott has issued an Executive Order postponing the eclipse date by three days to April 11 when the storm should be fully passed and road conditions restored to normal.

This rescheduling of the solar eclipse only applied to Vermont. Eclipse activities in adjacent New York will continue to occur on April 8th, as originally planned.

My parents have a summer house in Port Clinton, OH a few blocks from Lake Erie. I'm going there on Monday. If it's cloudy or raining it won't ruin it for me. There's no reason to be a sourpuss.

This appeared in our local e-mail reflector here in Vermont

===============================

LONG TERM WEATHER FORECAST FOR APRIL 8 OVERCAST AND RAIN

ECLIPSE POSTPONED TO APRIL 11 FOR CLEAR SKIES

The National Weather Service in Burlington Vermont has issued a long term forecast for next week. The massive storm hitting Vermont later this week is expected to dump as much as two feet of snow on northern Vermont. A blocking front is expected to impede the movement of the storm to the Atlantic.

Aside from severely impairing eclipse viewing, driving conditions would be chaotic for the as many as 250,000 visitors expected to travel to the area.

Therefore, employing his emergency powers, Governor Phil Scott has issued an Executive Order postponing the eclipse date by three days to April 11 when the storm should be fully passed and road conditions restored to normal.

This rescheduling of the solar eclipse only applied to Vermont. Eclipse activities in adjacent New York will continue to occur on April 8th, as originally planned.

It's gonna be sunny here with maybe some partial high level clouds, which is kind of unusual actually...

The rumor is,, the people looking at the eclipse will turn to Zombies.

My parents have a summer house in Port Clinton, OH a few blocks from Lake Erie. I'm going there on Monday. If it's cloudy or raining it won't ruin it for me. There's no reason to be a sourpuss.
Report back if you turned into a Zombie from looking at the eclipse.

Um. It's not like the Romans "committing mass suicide because the world is ending." It's because infrastructure maybe be overrun and with so many people in a congested area it may be difficult to get anywhere. And police. fire, and other Secuity services maybe overwhelmed and unable to keep things orderly...
But why are people congesting an area? We walk/drive/live in the dark all the time. The last one was in 2017. It happens. Are we really so fascinated that we have to stare at it for 3 hours straight. Considering the tik-tok 3 second cycle most people live in, their attention to it should pass very quickly. Cicadas emerge every 13 or 17 years. Do we all have to stop living while that happens. I find this so strange.

Our house is in what I think is the zone of totality.
I plan on going to work and leaving at two or so and will meet retired wifey at home so that we can watch the event.
The partial eclipse we had a few years back was something to see, so this should be a worthwhile event to view.
Appropriate glasses at the ready!

But why are people congesting an area? We walk/drive/live in the dark all the time. The last one was in 2017. It happens. Are we really so fascinated that we have to stare at it for 3 hours straight. Considering the tik-tok 3 second cycle most people live in, their attention to it should pass very quickly. Cicadas emerge every 13 or 17 years. Do we all have to stop living while that happens. I find this so strange.

Because a narrow band from Mexico to Canada will get "totality":

eclipse-map-2024-1920-1.png

I'm going to go to Ohio to see it. I'm a photographer, and part of the appeal is the opportunity to challenge myself to get an interesting photo that I could never get otherwise. And one which is different from everyone else's.

The mayor of Niagara Falls ON, said that the region is expecting up to 1M people; a state of emergency has also been declared.

Last edited:
Back