The Solar Eclipse & The Path to Totality

Well it's T-minus 20 minutes or so and unfortunately it's totally cloudy here, it's just going to get dark for 4 minutes.

I had some hope when the sun peeked out earlier, but unfortunately it looks like it's not to be.

Getting there slowly, but surely as of 2:40 PM along the north/south Carolina Coast
IMG_7508.jpeg

Looks like the crowds are not showing up as expected in Frenck Lick...Seymore...Indianapolis...Bloomington Indiana....via the tv coverage here in Louisville KY. I wonder with all the hype of the media of massive crowds and traffic jams scared some from not going,

California eclipse near the local maximum of 30-something percent. Not visible despite 1/16000 sec exposure time. I didn't find my solar filter and the glare was too massive to reveal the lunar obstruction. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through live footage later.

Looks like the crowds are not showing up as expected in Frenck Lick...Seymore...Indianapolis...Bloomington Indiana....via the tv coverage here in Louisville KY. I wonder with all the hype of the media of massive crowds and traffic jams scared some from not going,

Lucky for you folks then.

I’m a cop just outside Burlington, VT…we’ve got every set of hands we can on duty and have most officers pulling doubles just for bare minimal coverage of the roads. Highway department is assisting with traffic, fire and EMS at a few intersections. And it’s still utter chaos.

Here in Florida I could see 10% of the eclipse.

Something was better than nothing.

Franklin County, Maine checking in. I was two miles from the line of totality at my cabin. Got to see the coolest, sharpest sliver of light ever. Venus came out and there was sunset all around. Attempts at photography pending review.

Well it's T-minus 20 minutes or so and unfortunately it's totally cloudy here, it's just going to get dark for 4 minutes.

I had some hope when the sun peeked out earlier, but unfortunately it looks like it's not to be.
Disregard!

Sun came right out into a clear patch right on queue! Unexpectedly awesome! Didn't bother taking pictures though, just basked in the moment. You can look right at it without the glasses during totality. Excellent view of the sun's corona.

View was like KrisZ's, for reference.

Disregard!

Sun came right out into a clear patch right on queue! Unexpectedly awesome! Didn't bother taking pictures though, just basked in the moment. You can look right at it without the glasses during totality. Excellent view of the sun's corona.

View was like KrisZ's, for reference.
Yup, it cleared up last minute just in time for the total eclipse.
And it went back to cloudy just as fast after the event.

officials were expecting up to an additional 100k people to flood our area....( which would double the county population)
county fairgrounds opened up for camping....drove past there twice today... saw what looked like a handfull of campers (news said they had 100)
I drove the 20 mi through and out of town and watched it with my GF and her parents ( they live closer to the center of totality than i do..an extra like 20 seconds!)
I saw no traffic differences than any other day..

now, next town south on 75, Wapakoneta, was basically on the centerline, and they had some things going on, reports were that they had traffic delays, but not the OMG APOCALYPSE FLOOD OF HUMANITY! some were predicting.

Back