Not a great conversation with my local Infiniti dealer today. Least they were honest.

My 2019 QX60 is 4500 km out of powertrain warranty, but still within the time limit - said with my 'grasping at straws' face.

My AWD system is making a clicking / popping noise when I reverse with the steering is hard to left or right. This is high probability of the rear electronic coupler on the rear differential failing. Per a TSB done by NHTSA the noise is confirmed to be the electronic coupling unit if after disconnecting the electrical plug does the noise go away? I disconnected said plug and the noise was gone. I get a warning message on dash saying the AWD world is entering doom because this plug is unplugged.

So I called the dealer who has only had $1400 CAD business with me in last year for a BCM replacement and also $38k CAD for a used 2021 Rogue last October. Like a true BITOG'r I do all my own fluid changes, my own brakes, and get new tires at Costco or whoever has my wants for least $$
So I asked the service advisor if given my history would I be in any position to get some empathy from Infiniti Canada? I paraphrase but he said not a chance.

Out of powertrain warranty, no demonstrated loyalty to Infiniti dealer for all services, the optics are all bad. I regrouped and asked about a discount on the $2300 CAD part? so I can replace the part myself?
He said that would be solely the decision of the parts manager, but he explained that large companies that re-sell dealer parts only get 15% discount so I can't expect more than 10%.

So I thanked the kid for his honesty because if he lied I'd have wasted $150 CAD inspection charge for them to tell me to pound salt.

The replacement of this coupler is pretty easy, 10 bolts and 1 electrical plug with a bit of RTV sealer required at the interface with rear differential. I would expect it would not be more than 1 hour and there is no need to have it programmed at the dealer after replacement.

So the TLDR is I avoided dealer because DIY'r and now when I want empathy from OEM after warranty they say "not going to happen"

wah wah wah..

My 2019 QX60 is 4500 km out of powertrain warranty, but still within the time limit - said with my 'grasping at straws' face.

My AWD system is making a clicking / popping noise when I reverse with the steering is hard to left or right. This is high probability of the rear electronic coupler on the rear differential failing. Per a TSB done by NHTSA the noise is confirmed to be the electronic coupling unit if after disconnecting the electrical plug does the noise go away? I disconnected said plug and the noise was gone. I get a warning message on dash saying the AWD world is entering doom because this plug is unplugged.

So I called the dealer who has only had $1400 CAD business with me in last year for a BCM replacement and also $38k CAD for a used 2021 Rogue last October. Like a true BITOG'r I do all my own fluid changes, my own brakes, and get new tires at Costco or whoever has my wants for least $$
So I asked the service advisor if given my history would I be in any position to get some empathy from Infiniti Canada? I paraphrase but he said not a chance.

Out of powertrain warranty, no demonstrated loyalty to Infiniti dealer for all services, the optics are all bad. I regrouped and asked about a discount on the $2300 CAD part? so I can replace the part myself?
He said that would be solely the decision of the parts manager, but he explained that large companies that re-sell dealer parts only get 15% discount so I can't expect more than 10%.

So I thanked the kid for his honesty because if he lied I'd have wasted $150 CAD inspection charge for them to tell me to pound salt.

The replacement of this coupler is pretty easy, 10 bolts and 1 electrical plug with a bit of RTV sealer required at the interface with rear differential. I would expect it would not be more than 1 hour and there is no need to have it programmed at the dealer after replacement.

So the TLDR is I avoided dealer because DIY'r and now when I want empathy from OEM after warranty they say "not going to happen"

wah wah wah..
I have absolutely read-several times that your business loyalty to a dealer defiantly plays a part to go to bat for you on both the Dealership Level and Manufacturer Level-in such circumstances.

Is it this thing? Pretty new - bet you can find a used one?

I honestly might think about trading it.

1713224391826.jpg

I have absolutely read-several times that your business loyalty to a dealer defiantly plays a part to go to bat for you on both the Dealership Level and Manufacturer Level-in such circumstances.
I have never had a single out-of-warranty issue over the past 30 years of car ownership. Sooner or later I will and I'll pay full-price but I've saved a bunch doing my own maintenance in that time.

wah wah wah..
ABSOLUTE BS!

I had a failure of SCR on the BMW X5 35d, 23,000 miles outside warranty. All work done DIY. I went to a local BMW, and they suspected NOx sensors, changed them and on the road, CEL. Went back. They opened a PUMA case (engineers from Germany to assist), and the conclusion is catalytic convertor. $1600+NOx. Those are first gen SCR systems, problematic on all brands. Anyway, I come there, they lowered to $1200, plus all other parts and labor on them. These SCR systems bcs. were problematic, BMW decided to help customers meet them, I guess half way. Only thing they asked me is which oil I used, I told them BMW LL04 approved, they said: OK, that works.

Something that shouldn't be failing on less than 5 year old vehicle. They might goodwill it 50% or something if you get the right person... worst they can say is no... not like you get a bill for asking on phone.
No they wont. But yea the OP can spin his wheels if he wants to....
You guys can't avoid dealers-then want favors with something breaks-out of warranty. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
That sucks. My 2019 pathfinder had the same rear coupler. Failure of them seems to start off exactly how you experienced, leading to much more noise, vibs and binding.

Did you roll with yours in "auto 4x4" mode often? That does seem to put more of a load on them. People mistake the pathfinder/qx60 platform for being a fancy torque vectoring, active AWD system, which it is definitely not.

I've heard people claim the cheaper eBay couplers don't fit. Good used or new OEM seems to be the only way.

ABSOLUTE BS!

I had a failure of SCR on the BMW X5 35d, 23,000 miles outside warranty. All work done DIY. I went to a local BMW, and they suspected NOx sensors, changed them and on the road, CEL. Went back. They opened a PUMA case (engineers from Germany to assist), and the conclusion is catalytic convertor. $1600+NOx. Those are first gen SCR systems, problematic on all brands. Anyway, I come there, they lowered to $1200, plus all other parts and labor on them. These SCR systems bcs. were problematic, BMW decided to help customers meet them, I guess half way. Only thing they asked me is which oil I used, I told them BMW LL04 approved, they said: OK, that works.
I had the Vanos system on my BMW replaced on the "last day of the warranty".

I had been talking with them for some time and providing write ups on how to recognize the problem. The porpoising only appears while idling after a dead cold start so it wasn't easy to demonstrate. After it sat out overnight at the dealers, they agreed it had a problem and ordered parts. It was written up as being replaced on the "last day of the warranty" but in fact it was a week or two later. Reasonable enough in my opinion.

On another occasion the BMW dealer advertised a brake replacements sale (BMW rotors and pads all around, parts and labour). I booked it in during the sale but the work was done a few days after the sale. They initially wanted to charge me the full price but after a bit of discussion honoured the sale price. The sale price was less than the parts alone.

You could have bought half a dozen cars from that dealer the last ten years and it wouldn't make a difference. Infinity would cover the repair when under warranty. When out of warranty, the dealer won't no matter how much work they have done for you in the past. My cost on that coupler is under $1300 US from the dealer. Maybe you can sweet talk the parts manager by bringing lunch one day?

I had been talking with them for some time and providing write ups on how to recognize the problem. The porpoising only appears while idling after a dead cold start so it wasn't easy to demonstrate. After it sat out overnight at the dealers, they agreed it had a problem and ordered parts. It was written up as being replaced on the "last day of the warranty" but in fact it was a week or two later. Reasonable enough in my opinion.

On another occasion the BMW dealer advertised a brake replacements sale (BMW rotors and pads all around, parts and labour). I booked it in during the sale but the work was done a few days after the sale. They initially wanted to charge me the full price but after a bit of discussion honoured the sale price. The sale price was less than the parts alone.
This is the difference.......if it was noted on a service order before your warranty was expired-it can be covered after the warranty was up. Even Ford works this way.

I don;t do anything at BMW dealer. But, I buy some parts (and most are actually cheaper than what Droman sells on Rock Auto) and I have 15% off. If the price of a part does not make sense, I tell them it is cheaper online, and they are fine with it.

I don;t do anything at BMW dealer. But, I buy some parts (and most are actually cheaper than what Droman sells on Rock Auto) and I have 15% off. If the price of a part does not make sense, I tell them it is cheaper online, and they are fine with it.
Local Lexus dealer gives me 10% off and their parts department is one of the best in the nation. I wouldn't buy a car from them, though. They expect their customers to never ask the car price and just plunk down a black credit card... Sheesh.

Back