new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why is it 50% recycled oil instead of a 100% ?

Synlube has to have something to make their oil out of.

Originally Posted By: JCM35
I have it in 2 of my vehicles right now. Bought it friday and guess what? It's seems to be just like every other oil i put in my engines. I get a kick out of people who think it's should be priced lower or want virgin new oil. You people kill me.Hey when a new oil comes out how bout we just wait till we get some sampling to judge it.

Well kick away, the chance I'm paying extra for any product because it's recycled is zero and none... If it's superior to freshly refined oil, well that's another story..

If it's equal to fresh oil that's another story. I didn't pay extra it was the same price. And it is freshly refined oil just like valvoline premium. I'm 100% positive it's equal to or better than val prem because it meets the same sn spec.

The results from the VOA sample I submitted to Blackstone are only a week or two away, I will post them asap.

The real telling will be the 1st couple of UOA's, which will be months from now.

Until then lets focus on intellectual discourse instead of meaningless emotional internet drivel.

Actually i was wrong. I paid $3 less than valvoline white bottle. Do we call nextgen valvoline green bottle?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I know this has been covered before but this is what has always concerned me about these products. People who recycle oil mix other things into the oil like: solvents, paint, paint thinner, brake fluid ATF, anti-freeze, Chlordane [yes I read that somewhere], etc, etc. etc. to get rid of it. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not at the cost they offer it for. I'll stick with the tried and true, dino for the beater, synthetic in the E-150 and Jeep. JMO

Who knows maybe when I learn more about it and see some actual testimony from people I trust, not marketing hype, and results I can verify, I might give it a shot.

Exactly! It all sounds good but I'd love to see some real world results.
If the price was right (doesn't sound like it is) I might be willing to try it on the Aerostar.

Last edited:
can someone please help me figure out if this is a conventional or synthetic oil? i can't seem to find the formulation on the site
frown.gif

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mbarag
can someone please help me figure out if this is a conventional or synthetic oil? i can't seem to find the formulation on the site
frown.gif

Thanks!

There is a conventional and a Maxlife version. At my walmart, the conventional is $13.00 and the Maxlife is $16.00.

I just got this note back from Valvoline. I had sent them an email with a question about the synthetic content of the MaxLife NextGen product.

"The MaxLife NextGen products will only be offered only in the synthetic blended option and it will be the same as the regular MaxLife Synthetic Blend, as it will contain approximately 30% synthetic."

So now we know MaxLife NextGen contains 50% recycled content and about 30% synthetic. But we do not know if the synthetic content is new product, recycled or a combo of both.

Could much, if not all, of the "30% synthetic" be from the additives pack of their MaxLife line, if both the NextGen and regular MaxLife have exactly 30% synthetic(approx)?

I don't think the additive pack content is considered in the calculation of synthetic vs. conventional. If it was, all oils could be considered to be synthetic blends because adpaks are definitely synthetic. The 30% synthetic is probably part of the 50% virgin base stock. That is the only way they can know for sure. How can they know how much synthetic is in the recycled part? I hope they're not counting the recycled base stock as synthetic content. I would consider that to be 50% Group II, if they are just rerefining and not hydrocracking and isomerizing it.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
frown.gif

Thanks!

There is a conventional and a Maxlife version. At my walmart, the conventional is $13.00 and the Maxlife is $16.00.

At my Walmart the original Maxlife is $14.50 and the NextGen high mileage is $16 bucks! Why would I pay $1.50 more for recycled oil? Duh.

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
frown.gif

Thanks!

At my Walmart the original Maxlife is $14.50 and the NextGen high mileage is $16 bucks! Why would I pay $1.50 more for recycled oil? Duh.

John

Well, regular conventional valvoline is $15.00 compared to $13.00 for recycled, so....don't pay more.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't think the additive pack content is considered in the calculation of synthetic vs. conventional. If it was, all oils could be considered to be synthetic blends because adpaks are definitely synthetic. The 30% synthetic is probably part of the 50% virgin base stock. That is the only way they can know for sure. How can they know how much synthetic is in the recycled part? I hope they're not counting the recycled base stock as synthetic content. I would consider that to be 50% Group II, if they are just rerefining and not hydrocracking and isomerizing it.

Makes since to me unless they have a means to sample the recycled stock they are going to use in a batch and test for Ester and PAO content before dialing in the virgin stock and adpak needed to bring the final product up to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back