New truck?!?

I'm so frugal...I've been casually looking for months for a gas 3/4 ton truck, crew cab. The end goal is in a year or two to move up into a 5th wheel camper for my family. We camp year-round, very frequently. The additional payload ensures that my family of 5 will be safe and well within the trucks limits when pulling across the country.

I found a NEW on the lot 2023 Ram 3/4 ton, 6.4 gas, long bed, crew cab, 2wd, Tradesman, 10 miles on it. The truck has the towing and infotainment package as well. It has an MSRP of 55k. I'm looking at an invoice for 42k OTD. Fees are minimal, and my only complaint is the $199 wheel locks...

If feel like that's an excellent price. I can afford it however I don't want to spend 42k. So here I am complaining about my 1st world problems...

In the world of 3/4 ton trucks, I don't think I can do better from a cost perspective?

Thoughts?

my only complaint is the $199 wheel locks...
Tell the dealer to take them off and keep them. You can walk over to the Mopar counter at the same dealership and get them for like $60, and even that would too much for what they are.

The price is good. I like having 4x4 on my truck, and wouldn't buy one without this capability. However, if you don't need it, then go for it. $42K for that truck out the door is a good price.

Tell the dealer to take them off and keep them. You can walk over to the Mopar counter at the same dealership and get them for like $60, and even that would too much for what they are.

The price is good. I like having 4x4 on my truck, and wouldn't buy one without this capability. However, if you don't need it, then go for it. $42K for that truck out the door is a good price.

My current truck doesn't have 4x4. I haven't been in a situation where I needed it, yet...I can pay an extra 4k for it as this dealer has an identical truck on the lot with 4x4....Again, I'm frugal/cheap...

For less than $42k you can get a used 1 ton dually? Probably bigger brakes/safety margin on weights, towing power. etc.

Have you considered used from the wholesale market? I just purchased a vehicle from said market and could not be more satisfied. I used an agent who provides you credentials to peruse the wholesale market, long story short....find a vehicle you like and the agent does the legwork for you. You could find the exact vehicle you are looking for and save thousands.

$42K seems pretty reasonable for a new 3/4 Ton IMHO. I am making the assumption your not financing it, or if you are your paying <6%.

I would also never buy a new truck without 4WD, but that is me. If you never need it, its more to buy, more to fix, and uses a bit more gas. If you are planning to sell or trade within a few years then the 4WD will more than hold its value however.

This sounds like quite the deal.
If I were in your position I'd probably go ahead and pull the trigger.
To put it in perspective, this is only around eleven grand more than a new Accord Hybrid, which can't tow anything worth mentioning.

That's a good deal on a truck the seems to have minimal options but has the capabilities you need. I have been thinking hard about getting a new 3/4 Ram myself and I was dead set on the Diesel but after thinking about it - the 6.4 gas is plenty what I need and much simpler to maintain not having all the def BS and all that comes with that huge price tag for the Diesel motor. I was looking more at the Larmie 4x4 models because I really can't afford a new Longhorn or Limited and my current Ram is a Limited 1500 so I am a little spoiled and want leather and larger screens atleast....but even Laramie trims break 75k!

That's a good deal on a truck the seems to have minimal options but has the capabilities you need. I have been thinking hard about getting a new 3/4 Ram myself and I was dead set on the Diesel but after thinking about it - the 6.4 gas is plenty what I need and much simpler to maintain not having all the def BS and all that comes with that huge price tag for the Diesel motor. I was looking more at the Larmie 4x4 models because I really can't afford a new Longhorn or Limited and my current Ram is a Limited 1500 so I am a little spoiled and want leather and larger screens atleast....but even Laramie trims break 75k!
You can get a 4x4 2500 6.4L Big Horn for around $50K with the 12 inch touch screen. Unless the dealer you're shopping is a snake like ours, and flip-flops pricing on you. Then you can change the seat covers to leather if you like. With minimal work you can customize the inside however you like, for very little money. To me, a little bit of trim and leather seats ain't worth another $25K. Oh, it also comes with the new ZF 8 speed heavy duty transmission.

I'm so frugal...I've been casually looking for months for a gas 3/4 ton truck, crew cab. The end goal is in a year or two to move up into a 5th wheel camper for my family. We camp year-round, very frequently. The additional payload ensures that my family of 5 will be safe and well within the trucks limits when pulling across the country.

I found a NEW on the lot 2023 Ram 3/4 ton, 6.4 gas, long bed, crew cab, 2wd, Tradesman, 10 miles on it. The truck has the towing and infotainment package as well. It has an MSRP of 55k. I'm looking at an invoice for 42k OTD. Fees are minimal, and my only complaint is the $199 wheel locks...

If feel like that's an excellent price. I can afford it however I don't want to spend 42k. So here I am complaining about my 1st world problems...

In the world of 3/4 ton trucks, I don't think I can do better from a cost perspective?

Thoughts?
I think if you have the cash, buying a used Gm 3\4 or 1ton gas truck is the way to go. You can find them for 10k in good condition. From a cost perspective, that is what I would do.

I depends on why you need a truck......are you hauling? Or do you just want a nice big truck? It all depends on you IMO.

I think if you have the cash, buying a used Gm 3\4 or 1ton gas truck is the way to go. You can find them for 10k in good condition. From a cost perspective, that is what I would do.

I depends on why you need a truck......are you hauling? Or do you just want a nice big truck? It all depends on you IMO.

I can't find any Chevy with the 6.6 for less than $40k without 50,000+ miles..

I can't find any Chevy with the 6.6 for less than $40k without 50,000+ miles..
I am talking older..........previous generations, they are better IMO.

Greenville aint that far from here.........here is a few

Last edited:
i maintain a fleet of chevy HD vehicles. the L8T trucks are night and day difference from the LY6 powered trucks. that being said, for a cost standpoint i would find a used LY6 powered dually if you are planning on towing a fiver. wind and large fiver/goosenecks can make ones butt picker in winds.

the chevy HD’s have been especially good to us. oil changes every 6k miles with off the shelf oil now transitioning to HPL and 12k intervals. very few issues other than the occasional radiator but our trucks see heavy idle time aswell. extremely simple trucks to work on and you don’t have to remove a cab or bunch of junk to work on the motor.

Have you considered used from the wholesale market? I just purchased a vehicle from said market and could not be more satisfied. I used an agent who provides you credentials to peruse the wholesale market, long story short....find a vehicle you like and the agent does the legwork for you. You could find the exact vehicle you are looking for and save thousands.
Can you explain this process a bit more? How do you find said agents? I am genuinely interested. Thank you.

Last edited:
If you don't need 4x4, don't spend money on it. The price is good.
He is in Chicago. It's a 2WD drive truck. The dealer can't sell it.....It will bite him big time if he ever resales it. I know this from first hand experience...,.and Salt Lake City, Utah doesn't get anywhere the amount of snow Chicago does.

He is in Chicago. It's a 2WD drive truck. The dealer can't sell it.....It will bite him big time if he ever resales it. I know this from first hand experience...,.and Salt Lake City, Utah doesn't get anywhere the amount of snow Chicago does.
I live down south and I still wouldn't buy a 2WD truck. We have a 4x4 RAM 1500 Big Horn 5.7 HEMI. However, he mentioned he's frugal, so it's his choice.

Reactions: CKN
Back