Its time for a new-to-me truck

Hopefully you can get it one color. That is hideous truck for neighbors that makes the neighborhood look sketch.

That all being said neat truck and hope it works out.
You just called my truck ugly!!! I have had about 4 warnings since 2006 from the city. 😂

Last night and this morning was a hot and humid push to getting the engine started.
AC Delco water pump installed, it looks plenty beefy.
Dayco Idler pulley installed.
Valves adjusted.
Valve cover installed.
Fleetguard CCV valve, new line to the block installed. Waiting on some 3/4 hose for the drain, should come in tomorrow.
New Dayco heater hoses, Dayco radiator hoses. The original spring clamps are perfect but were difficult to reinstall even with remote pliers.
Discovered the thermostat was bypassed. Who knows for how long. New Stant 180 installed.
Dayco serpentine belt installed.
2 gallons Rotella ELC, 2.5 gallons distilled poured in.
Mooned traffic for hours on the new topside creeper.

To Do:
The AC compressor pulley doesn't sound great, but not terrible, sending it for now.
The battery cables are terrible and will be fully replaced later.

Tried to start it, dead batteries. Recharging them. Tomorrow is a tractor day at the ranch, burning brush and fixing a levee. Memorial day will be a good day.

1716679344534.jpg

Good work, anyone who bypasses a thermostat doesn't understand what they're doing. Bypassing it will not allow the coolant time to cool back down, just keeping the coolant circulating though a hot engine. :rolleyes: May not notice it empty but the engine will run hot when pulling or heavily loaded. Happy you caught that nonsense. I didn't think about it but I should have mentioned to you to see if you can replace the fan clutch. I'll assume this one is a mechanical clutch or electric? Maybe if electric it will give a warning on the dash if not functioning properly (code)? Looking good & enjoy your weekend.

Got it running Memorial day morning at 7am, waking up the neighborhood to remind the boys to get the smokers going!! I ran it for a few minutes checking for leaks, no leaks anywhere. The engine sounds pretty good. This model has a throttle linkage, so I blipped it. Something "electrical" happened, the lights dimmed, something awful smelled, then the engine sounded even better.

Mildly alarmed, I shut the bad boy off. It no longer would crank. After futzing around for awhile, I believe the starter was half at fault, never disengaged and when I blipped the throttle it finally let go from the flywheel. I have a video, but the engine is loud and its hard to tell. The key cylinder has been sticky, and I might have left it stuck in crank mode. I'm not 100% sure on that though. I have since cycled it many times after spraying graphite lubricant and the key seems to be operating better but the starter solenoid was only clicking. There are a few engine codes going on, but I'm disregarding them for now. I also removed the grid heater relays and the horrific related wiring rats nest. It is the only emissions portion on this truck, so I 100% promise to put it back to stock.

I removed the starter last night. Why did they use 12 point bolt heads on a starter? Sigh. The starter is an O'reilly unit and looks well used. The engagement spline moves in and out fine, then a nasty smell came back, i'm not sure if its the same smell, but its foul. I have a brand new Autozone starter coming today and will swap it in. If my parts cannon hypothesis is correct I will then crack this one open, see if there is any damage, refurb it and keep it on the shelf.

1716980990395.jpg

Nice work OP. I did a similar “rehab/resto” on my current Tahoe two years ago. Fortunately for a Northern truck mine was originally a southern truck so I was starting with something pretty clean.

They are a labor of love and many who just lease cars or push papers don’t understand the process (not saying anyone on here). But the bits of work and some money in parts every few months beats all to heck a payment!

The starter probably "Reman" to boot. 12 point sockets :cautious:
Probably don't need the grid heater? I will mention that even if the weather is mild if this engine does have lower compression that heater will help to start it. My old 7.3 would be a bear to start without the glow plugs working. Progress... onward!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. Lately I have felt a bit of urgency for a few reasons, 1) the city coming after me as they always do after week #2 of bringing down the neighborhood homeowner values, 2) my license plate was stolen before I could even transfer the title. Holy heck, I live 1/4th of a mile from the police station. I have some Wyze cameras coming tomorrow and they are going up ASAP. I have a club for the steering wheel too. My registration sticker is still good though.

Today more discoveries were found while I was reinstalling the starter, and maybe some past discoveries I forgot to mention.

1717028108112.jpg

This tired body-to-engine ground strap has been ripped for who knows how long. How does this happen exactly? Was it off-roaded?? Why is all of the wiring hanging down in the same area. It might explain the quick left and right turn signal flashing, and lamp off light on the dash. Pretty sure I didnt mention that before. It begs the question which some of you may be asking: what IS NOT broken on this thing? 🙈

After learning new ways to contort my shoulders and arms, I installed the new starter in 1/4 the removal time. I was pretty excited at this point, reattached the battery cables, cobbled the starter trigger wire back together, turned the key and... click.
The 30A fuse for the starter solenoid was blown. When did this blow? I dont know. Did I check it before replacing the starter? I dont remember. I dont need wipers at the moment, so swapped that out.

1717028454794.jpg

I have a video to share. Enjoy.

After this startup the engine came up to temperature, no leaks, no issues. I drove it around the neighborhood as folks were coming home from their evening commute testing things out. Everything works at it should...except..

As I drive into my own driveway, habitually I'm putting on the parking brake and put it in neutral, and the truck starts going backwards. My driveway is at a slight incline. I put it in reverse, chocked the wheels, and came inside the house victorious.

Adding the parking brake to the repair list.

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing the real life sites & sounds our way. The engine sounds pretty good. Busting out the manual & going through every single fuse is what I do w/every used purchase. Looks like you've found a busted one or at least doesn't have the plastic top.

Monday I have the day off and going to the junkyard to start making the truck look at a little respectable. In preparation for the junkyard run: removed the white fenders, dented bumper, the white hood will come off later. I think it looks better already. Ripped out the front seats, pressure washed the carpet. If I do not find a nicer carpet at the junkyard, the existing carpet is serviceable and will spray paint it with Duplicolor black. There is a few matching color trucks at the junkyard, fingers crossed.

1717373760934.jpg

Drained the rear end, the fluid smelled awful but looked ok. Spray painted the valve cover for fun, in went 4 quarts Valvoline 75w90. The original gasket was nicked, replaced with a Fel Pro.

1717373852933.jpg

1717373870855.jpg

Drained the NV5600 transmission fluid. It was pretty nasty black. In went 5.5 quarts Valvoline Syncromesh.

1717373961337.jpg

The junkyard run was mostly successful. The junkyard was full of neglected and ragged out trucks which was a shame. Found a blue hood but it was too faded. Instead i'll rattle can the existing one later which saves me the hassle of taking the hood off. Sometimes going to the junkyard is a time saver because folks take stuff off because they need something deeper. I was able to get a non cracked dash, 1 fender, and the bumper in this manner. Also picked up an overhead console, front door panels, AC controls and sun visors from someone who actually cared about their truck. I had zero success with front seats. Every single one had wear on the egress bolster. I bought some decent car covers instead and will do some kind of foam fix for the existing seat.

Installed the bumper and fenders after work. It was so hot and muggy I could only work 10 minutes outside, then 15 inside cooling down. As I look at this picture, I have some black plastic spray paint on the shelf for the grill and upper bumper cover later on.
1717590294262.jpg

The existing carpet in all of its grossed out glory. The driver rear and passenger front was the worst with caked and dried mud.

1717590421660.jpg

After pressure washing some color ran out mainly on the passenger side. I was expecting this and bought black spray paint.

1717590456515.jpg

after spray painting.

1717590491710.jpg

I have some noname dynamat leftovers, and more coming today to install before the carpet goes back in.

Good deal that you found some parts. Carpet turned out nice & good thinking on the dynamite scraps. That'll help lessen the vibration/rattles. It's coming along..

Interior is coming together nicely. Sound deadening installed, carpet installed, new front door panels installed, seats installed. The driver side bolster was reinforced with 1/3 chunk of pool noodle and 4 zip ties, installed seat covers.

AC Controls installed, and it blows air at all requested settings. Its nice to not have to do a blower motor or resistor.

Installed a new body to engine ground strap to the starter bolt.

New discoveries: I only have a rear right blinker and right rear hazard. No other blinkers. The headlights are also inconsistent. After internet sleuthing, fuses, and wire checking I am convinced my FCM and/or fuse box needs attention. I am sending the fuse box to a professional for refurbishment, and back to the junkyard for 2-3 FCM's. Dodge really pooched the design. 3 non replaceable relays on the underside of the fuse box for the towing wiring was masterful poor engineering.

To do:
install upper temp and MPG gauge pod
new cab lights arrived
new battery cables arrived.
parking brake diagnosis.
steering leak somewhere.
re-do the nv5600 PTO cover, its leaking a little after I didn't put enough permatex.
Transfer case fluid. Even though the front driveshaft is removed, I think "stuff" still moves in there and needs refreshing.
Front differential fluid, going to extract and forego opening it.
New sway bar end links and bushings arrived.
Track Bar bushings.

1717771137116.jpg

8 ounces of Diesel Kleen to a 1/4 tank poured in. I do not know how long it ran without a thermostat, but maybe this will help. I'm also considering Liqui Moly engine flush but only if I see issues.

1717771112552.jpg

My favorite upgrade is the Princess badge!

In all seriousness, great job. I like those seat covers, where did you get those?
Coverado from Amazon, I saw a few YT reviews and they are very decent quality and didnt break the wallet. I only got fronts as the rear bench is in good shape.

Back