Most reliable 2500 truck platform

I'm casually browsing for a crew cab 2500 base model, gas, tow package.

I sat in the Chevy and Ford. The Ram is on my "todo" list.

My main question is what motor/trans is the most proven/reliable for the long term. I would be keeping this truck for the long haul.

I've read a bunch of revews but nothing long term.

What is your first hand experience?

My former employer (I'm recently retired) runs a fleet of 25 to 30 3/4 ton 4x4 pickups. They spend a lot of time off road and in the mud, idling, towing, hauling. They're typically auctioned at around 400k kms (250k miles).
The Fords all have 6.2s, the GMs have 6.0s, the Rams are mostly 5.7s and a few Cummins.
The drivetrains held up really well on all of them, with only a few transmissions and transfer cases replaced over the past 10 -15 years. Some of the earlier 5.7 hemis had cam and lifter issues, but that hasn't been a problem for several years now.
The Rams had a somewhat higher rate of needing front end work than the others, but all three brands held up well to hard use.

Most reliable generally means not new and platforms that have been time tested. But yes, the OP stated "reliable long term", so that means used and been around for a while.

Last edited:

My main question is what motor/trans is the most proven/reliable for the long term. I would be keeping this truck for the long haul.

You should also casually consider other options.

Stay away from anything where I am incredibly bad reliability

I went Ram. 8speed trans seems reliable. I also could not get a rear end lower than 3.73 in the Chevrolet. 4:10 was available in the ram. Also the 4x2 to 4x4 was a floor shifter in the Ram, vs electronic pushbutton shift. Smaller 18 inch wheels, did not want 20 on a truck. Truck probably has some aluminum in the hood and tailgate , but not the bed. And at the time I bought it, it was available, trucks were hard to get at times in 2021.

I don’t have experience with any newer options other than the ford. We have 2 F-250 here at the farm and one at work all with the 6.2. They have been problem free. On the older ones the biggest thing I’ve seen is cab mounts failing and that’s a one time fix with the S&B kit. I have a kit here now to do one of the farm trucks.

I am biased towards the Ram. Had a 2011 1500 for 6 years, 150,000km. Engine, trans and drive train was pretty solid. Minor things like tie rod ends early on and exhaust manifold gaskets. Cam stayed intact throughout. This set me up foe my 2017 3500 Cummins. Great truck. Had a few minor seals leaking under warranty and a body mount creaking in the cold. Its been solid.

I cannot say much about the new Ford and Gm trucks other than a guy I know just had his newish 7.3 F250 go down after its cam ate itself. Also I'm very displeased with Ford F150's from about 2015 to now. Complete rubbish.

Are you looking for new or used? I assume used since you're looking for reliability, I also feel that the Ford 6.2 and Chevy 6.0 are reliable. Don't know much about the Chevy 6.6 but the Ford 7.3 so far seems very Stout. It had some early issues here and there but seem to be related to the 10 speed.

I will never own another Ford pickup again. I now lean towards Ram based on what I am seeing.

Oh nice!

I still feel like Ford makes good pickup trucks. The only exception for me is some cam phaser issues on the EcoBoost motors. But the 7.3 is going into its fourth model year and doing pretty well.

Truthfully though they all seem pretty stout and have their pros and cons. The Chevy is a good truck and the ram I've heard some mixed things on the 6.4 but it has been out for a long time so that's good. Don't they have the ZF 8 speed now as well? Can't go wrong there.

Oh nice!

I still feel like Ford makes good pickup trucks. The only exception for me is some cam phaser issues on the EcoBoost motors. But the 7.3 is going into its fourth model year and doing pretty well.

Truthfully though they all seem pretty stout and have their pros and cons. The Chevy is a good truck and the ram I've heard some mixed things on the 6.4 but it has been out for a long time so that's good. Don't they have the ZF 8 speed now as well? Can't go wrong there.
The ZF 8 speed is made about 25 minutes from my house. I sat in the ford and wasn't impressed. The door handles flexed and I felt like I was going to break them off... I expected more from a 50k truck. I perferred the interior and looks of the Chevy. I haven't checked out the Rams yet. MY previous experience with a Chrysler wasn't positive, however that was 15 years ago.

Back