Best (slightly) older truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a 1996 Suburban 4x4 with the 5.7. Not sure how many miles on on it now but it most likely pushing 200k by now. It's been very reliable so far. No real issues other than a bad power steering pump and faded paint. I think it depends more on how the particular truck was maintained throughout its life more than simply brand name alone.

Nearly 20 year old trucks? All will cost about the same to maintain as this point. The biggest worry I would have is the transmission going south.

That being said grandpa seems biased to Chevy. Pick the Chevy.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
just toss a coin, whichever is the best price/value/condition. at that age you are guaranteed to have similiar issues, so just have him budget another grand to fix whatever safety related things that need to be done.

+1, and I'm majorly biased toward Fords.
Kevin

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Provided it isn't too rusty, I'd go with the Ford. The other two have iffy transmissions, if I remember right.

The Ford's transmission isn't much less iffy than the other two, but I would rather have it still.

I think a 5.4 should have a 4R100, not a 4R70W, but I could be wrong.

As others have said, condition is what REALLY matters here.

Assuming equal condition, my choice would be the F-150, but I kind of like that generation of F-150 and am comfortable/familiar with Fords of that era.

The GM and Dodge engines of that era are a little easier to work on because they are pushrod engines and leave more room under the hood. The big OHC 5.4 in the Ford is all tucked up against the firewall and things are just harder to access. Check the oil filter location to see if it's something you want to mess with...if it's over the front axle, those can be a pain in the [censored]. If it has the factory remote filter tucked behind the bumper, it's the easiest oil change you can imagine.

Spitting plugs could be an issue on the Ford, but at that age and miles, that bridge has probably already been crossed if it's going to be an issue. With the GM, you could be looking at intake gaskets and a water pump, and probably plenty of oil leaks, but again, a PO may have already been there and done that. I'm not familiar enough with Dodges to know what issues could be present there, but I am sure there are issues of some sort.

For me, it would come down to the Ford or Chevy, and I would probably end up with the Ford. I like GM trucks of that era, but I like Fords of that era more.

Love my 90s gmc with the 5.7, no rust and at 199k, it just depends how the previous owner took care of it and what preventive maintenance was done. Good luck.

The late 90's z71 has a timeless look to it. When you see clean ones in the upper midwest, they just stand out!

I'm biased towards the Chevy, you see them pushing 300k all the time when maintained.

That being said, it sounds like the truck will be used lightly, and not have the mileage piled up on it in the future.

I'd narrow it to the Ford and Chevy, and look at their respective maintenance histories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back