I need a truck and am not brand biased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
That's a LOT of coin for a regular cab 1/2 ton, and not even an XLT. A $2600 upcharge for the 3.5... yikes!
Are you looking at the window sticker or actual price on dealer website. It is listed on dealer website for $34.7K, and I'm sure you can still talk them down more.

Does it matter, either way? I'd never pay nearly $35,000 for something with a regular cab.

The painful truth is, pick your options wisely, and one can get a 4x4 Super Cab STX with a 5.0 V8 and a 6.5 foot bed for the same money. Plus, the resale value and demand for a used SuperCab would be much higher.

Making a purchase to make the next potential buyer happy is just silliness.

I'm all about resale value, but you have to get what makes you happy. What you would or would not spend on a truck doesn't mean a thing to OP. End of discussion.

Yeah, please define your needs better and we can help more.

I am 3 months into owning a pretty loaded 2018 f150 xlt supercrew with the v8. A couple things ford needs to fix with software, but on the whole i love it. The higher temps of the turbos in the ecoboosts turned me off for longevity reasons.

The 2019 Ram wasnt out yet when I bought mine, but I didnt like the drivetrain of the 2018 (5.7 Hemi with 8 speed) and thought it drove "heavy." Also was worried about rust in the Rams, especially wheel well rust. I didnt look at foreign because... well, they arent as good. And didnt look at GM because their crew cabs are made in mexico and engines direct injected and I wasnt going to pay for walnut blasting the valves every three years.

That dealer asking price seems high. The dealer I bought mine at has a reg cab xlt v8 in stock for basically the same asking price.

https://www.wentzels.com/new/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-354b8e4b0a0e0a172fe35b2909ffcd37.htm?searchDepth=9:13

Also note that truck has Max Trailer Tow on it - so your tow rating is up around 12,000 lbs. Payload will be around 2300 lbs on that setup. Would make a decent towing truck if you could live with the regular cab (and I will state if I was towing that much regularly, a 3/4 ton would be a better choice).

Do you think you’ll really get a travel trailer and actually use it a lot? Pull it long distances? A lot of people don’t really use theirs that much.

I’d get a used older truck that’s committed to just hauling gravel, dirt, and Home Depot runs. Like a simple $5k truck that’s already scratched up and you don’t have to worry about it.

I’ve got an 8’ truck-bed-trailer that I pull with my Jeep, I have no use for a truck.

Or you can get a dump trailer and another vehicle to pull it if you like it better, like a Tahoe, 4Runner, or a TDI Touareg etc.

Just thinking outside the box.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that truck - it’s optioned up about as good as it gets. Don’t much care about whether a regular cab has good resale or not, here’s my reasons: infinitely easier to wash (you can get the whole roof from standing in the bed instead of needing a ladder like I have to use now), regular cabs weigh less with less to go wrong ( only 2 window regulators etc.), you can’t take the whole crowd with you ( looks like somebody else has to drive, boo hoo), the A/C pulls the cab down lickety split, and finally when trucks weigh less, they accelerate faster - this the part I’m all about. The 36 gallon tank just seals the deal!

Looking at trucks to replace my ‘11 FX4 super crew and autonation in Katy Texas has them in droves. I’m looking at reg cab, 2.7, 3:73, 6.5 bed. Options; sat radio, tailgate step, trailer tow pkg and bed liner, then cut me aloose. Washes easily, and the 2.7 has the oil filter on top like my old M54 BMW. The 3.5 oil filter is a *astard to get to. Going to Houston to see my dad for Father’s Day, I might drive a new one home.

I like the title you chose.
I can't stand childish brand slurs.
You are the best judge of what you like and your open mind bodes
well for you making the right choice. Good luck too!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What didn't you like about the transmission mated to the 6.2L? Just wondering. My brother is a professional fishing guide (he fishes for Muskies on Lake St. Claire). He has had two Silverado with the 6.2L (He's now in a 2017). He tows a big 21' boat 40k miles a year. He hasn't had a single problem with his transmissions, and as long as it's in "tow mode", he thinks it's pretty nice.

But if you like that Ford, here is the truck I just purchased. 2018 Silverado 3500HD (with the 6.0L gas....which does NOT use cylinder deactivation). The transmission on this truck is VERY heavy duty, and it's a 6-speed. I love this truck. I paid $37.6k, $40k OTD.

Yup, when the above started a thread asking about trucks i was and still all for what he bought.. that 6.0l is an awesome engine and i would have it all day long over the 6.2 or the ecoboost. We have quite a few 4500 with the 6.0 and 4l80e and they are tough as nails. Rarely an issue and the vast majority of the cel we get are evap leaks due to loose fuel cab. I like fords but if i was buying it would probably be a 25/3500 with the 6.0

Last edited:
Nice looking truck. That Magna Red and Black look great together.
If you have not seen that color in person, it looks black until you get it in bright light.

It feels like a rocket ship because it is!!!.

Surprised it doesn't come with the trailer mirrors. I thought that was part of the max tow package.

My only criticism would be the mirrors. I do not like the little cutout in the corners (wide view area).
I would change those out ASAP.... or try to get the Dealer to throw that in.

First shift 2-3 in the morning can be rough.

Obviously I am a ECO fan, on my second.
The money part is your business.

I love my 3.5EB F150. So much so, I'm getting another. But I'd never get a regular cab, I prefer the SuperCrew. However, I think the supercab may have the cost/benefit advantage.

Interestingly, I find that non ethanol gas improves fuel economy markedly over 10% regular or super. So much so, I can achieve 22mpg, tank after tank, in mixed driving if I drive 5 over the limit anywhere but 70mph zones. Going much over 70 reduces MPG. A careful foot results in fantastic MPG. A heavy foot results in wonderful, BMW beating acceleration.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
The higher temps of the turbos in the ecoboosts turned me off for longevity reasons.

128K miles here, zero problems, none, zip, zilch. Not one part replaced other than the lost key fob.

Last edited:
I just went through this, though I wanted a Crew cab 4x4.

Here's my opinions after spending alot of time driving them all;

The Chevy High Country is very dated. The interior is well behind the Ford and 19 Ram. The 6.2 is very nice, and the programming on the trans of that truck was excellent. Im not a fan of the body either. All in all, not alot of bang for my buck. Ruled out right away. Didnt even drive a 5.3.

The Ram has the best ride, best interior, good solid engine and trans. Im not sold on the new body. If my last 2 trucks werent Dodges, I would have probably bought a Ram. IMO best bang for my buck. Felt very familiar to last gen Ram in drivers seat.

The Ford was solid from top to bottom. The front suspension rode better than GM, but slightly rougher than Ram. The rear suspension rode the stiffest of the 3. Handles cornering probably the best out of the 3. Nice interior, close to Rams, well ahead of GM. Excellent 3.5 engine. I didnt like the laggy 2.7 at all. 5.0 was a solid engine, though not nearly the low end power of the 3.5. One of the trucks I drove had a clunky 10sp. Just jerky and downshifted funny. All others I drove (about 4 Fords total), trans was good. I would rate the programming tied for 2nd with the Ram trans. More bang for my buck than GM, but a little behind the Ram.

All in all, I went with a Ford Lariat loaded up. Had a special edition package that gave it the only grill I like on the Fords. I had narrowed it down to this Ford and a Ram Laramie. The Ford was closer to home, and its aluminum body ( I live in WI and everything rusts bad), and like I stated earlier, my last 2 trucks were Dodge's. Actually my wife had a Dodge in there as well. We had excellent luck with all 3 Dodges. But I was ready for something different.

I would have been happy with Ram if the Ford was bad.

Last edited:
Just FYI. Google peeling Ford Paint. They still haven’t fixed the issues. It will break you heart when you are making payments and it starts to go south. Only an issue if you plan to own forever.

My personal favorite right now at least for the body is the F series. However i am quite in love with GM V8s. One thing i would never do is buy a brand new reg cab truck. They can be had quite cheaply used. Anybody with a family will not even look at a reg cab. Most people will want at least that extended cab. In practical use you want to have some enclosed locking cargo space anyway. The downside is cost and length of truck.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Just FYI. Google peeling Ford Paint. They still haven’t fixed the issues. It will break you heart when you are making payments and it starts to go south. Only an issue if you plan to own forever.

Peeling paint is a heck of alot easier to fix than a rusted out box side or rusted out cab corners though....

I've heard the 2.7 Ecoboost called a lot of things, but laggy isn't one of them.

Regardless, the truck in play here is a 3.5 so it doesn't matter. And don't get me started on rusted out cab corners... the bane of salt belt trucks...

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Just FYI. Google peeling Ford Paint.

Just look at any Chevy van rolling down the road.

I have never had a paint issue with a Ford.
Have owned only Ford trucks since 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back