Out With Old, In With New?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I have personal preference to Ford pickups and the little things like having a flat floor board and the layout it seems more practical to me. Ford's drive train is a generation ahead of GM right now. But if anyone says that one brand is superior to another in every facet is just a brand homer. I am sorry but Steve if one truck is getting better than 20% fuel economy under the same conditions something is flawed.

It would be different if we only had one. But since we have several I will restate that I am NOT being a brand fanboy, I am simply pointing out that with millions of trucks on the road I can find flaws in ANY OF THEM.

There are a whole lot of folks just like us who like GMC and have had great service, we just don't stink up the Internet with our success stories enough.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon

If you want to use True Delta, the Tundra comes out at the top of the heap. However, most pickup owners are too brand loyal or anti-Toyota to even give a Tundra a fair shot.

You cannot make the claim that Domestic truck owners will intentionally "skew" the numbers on Truedelta. As, the data you submit may or may not affect the ratings there.

I have found Truedelta to be a realistic representation of what to expect with certain vehicles. The problems I have reported on my 2009 F150 mirror the problems others report.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
You cannot make the claim that Domestic truck owners will intentionally "skew" the numbers on Truedelta. As, the data you submit may or may not affect the ratings there.

I have found Truedelta to be a realistic representation of what to expect with certain vehicles. The problems I have reported on my 2009 F150 mirror the problems others report.

I didn't make that claim? I was simply stating comparing all fullsize trucks, the Tundra has least problems according to Truedelta. I have used it for our last two vehicle purchases, and like you I have found it to be accurate.

Further, I am not trying to knock GM, Ford or Dodge trucks. I still like them too, and they all are great products, but none are perfect (and neither is the Toyota). I just think too many Ford, GM, or Dodge guys won't even give a Tundra the time of day. I looked at them all, and I chose the Tundra. I think it's a viable option of the OP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
Originally Posted By: Cujet

I didn't make that claim? I was simply stating comparing all fullsize trucks, the Tundra has least problems according to Truedelta. I have used it for our last two vehicle purchases, and like you I have found it to be accurate.

Further, I am not trying to knock GM, Ford or Dodge trucks. I still like them too, and they all are great products, but none are perfect (and neither is the Toyota). I just think too many Ford, GM, or Dodge guys won't even give a Tundra the time of day. I looked at them all, and I chose the Tundra. I think it's a viable option of the OP.

Part of the reason is they don't make a 3/4 ton or better. I have a 32 foot travel trailer and a 1/2 ton truck regardless of hp or make is not enough to lug that thing around, All the 1/2 ton trucks run out of payload. Smaller brakes, frames and no full floating rear axle in any half ton including the Toyota.

Say what you want about GM but the 5.4 gas motor in a 3/4 ton Ford does not hold a candle to the 6.0 gasser in a 3/4 ton GM when being used for towing.

Not a lot of 5.4 3/4 ton Fords in the camp grounds. V-10s and diesels? Sure. Lots of 6.0 3/4 GMs in the camp grounds.

Should have kept the Expe! Sounds like this is something of a third vehicle anyway.

If buying new, I'd just test drive all of them and pick the one you like best. If it comes down to two, pick the cheapest. New trucks are all pretty similar as far as reliability, capacities, etc.

Personally though, if I just wanted a beach vehicle/recreational vehicle/truck, I'd get something used. Used will be more fun, more modifications like lift kits will be available, and they will be cheaper. A new run of the mill CC/SB will be comfy, utilitarian, and useful, but you'll worry about paint chips, and the stock all season tires won't like sand. If you mod it, you may run into warranty issues...I wouldn't want to go there on a EcoBoost Ford with a MyFord Touch screen that's going ape [censored]. You could have more fun with something like say a 7.3L Excursion, '00-'06 Tahoe, another Expedition, used 3/4 ton pickup, etc. Mod friendly, reliable, every bit as functional as a new truck, every bit as entertaining with a good aftermarket headunit, and possibly less frustrating. I would buy a new truck as a business tax deduction or to drive to Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Say what you want about GM but the 5.4 gas motor in a 3/4 ton Ford does not hold a candle to the 6.0 gasser in a 3/4 ton GM when being used for towing.

Not a lot of 5.4 3/4 ton Fords in the camp grounds. V-10s and diesels? Sure. Lots of 6.0 3/4 GMs in the camp grounds.

Exactly how I ended up with my Dmax. The RV boards are very informative about larger heavy duty platforms.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Having driven all three (Ford/GM/Dodge) a fair amount at work, I've never been impressed with any of the Ford Modulars. We had a '97 F-250 with the 4.6L. We now have an '04 F-250 with the 5.4L and an '05 F-150 with the 5.4L. We also have had a '00 K1500 with the 4.8L and had a '10 K1500 with the 5.3L. We have a '12 K2500 with the 6.0L. Plus an '08 Dodge 1500 with the 4.7L (I drive this one daily).

Lots of trucks, lots of powertrains. The Fords don't impress me a lick. I don't get the appeal to these trucks, honestly. The Chevys and the Dodge, though...if I wanted a truck, it'd be one of these two. The Dodge is probably my favorite of the ones we have at work now, but the new Silverados look awfully nice. I'd probably buy one with the 3.6L and 7,500 pound tow rating.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd probably buy one with the 3.6L and 7,500 pound tow rating.

A 3.6L? That has to be a typo.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd probably buy one with the 3.6L and 7,500 pound tow rating.

A 3.6L? That has to be a typo.

You are right. The V-6 engine is 4.3L.

^^^And the new gen 4.3 is a really cool updated design that goes to a V4 and moves the cam, too. It should be a real winner with big power and decent economy.

I like the 5.0 fords and the Tundras. The diesel ram 1500 and new GM stuff will likely put some pressure on Ford and Toyota's discount button.

Haggle price vs MSRP is all over the place on full size trucks, so who knows how low they really will go. Buying a full size new truck is a bargain hunter's dream, since there is so many options and the dealers really want to move them.

I'm waiting till about 2015 for three reasons:

1. How does the diesel ram 1500 hold up and perform, real world?
2. Aluminum F150s should be out, huge weight loss, maybe better engines too.
3. Next gen Tacoma/Frontier might be awesome?

That and i want to pay cash for brand new or i'l hang onto my toyota t100. 19 mpg, 3 pedals, 4x4, perfect for me size, pre dented and scratched, i love it.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a bash fest. I was just giving an honest review of both of the trucks I have owned for a long time based on my real world experience and opinion, nothing more. As of today, I have test driven the Ford 5.0 and EcoBoost, Ram 5.7, Chevy 5.3, and Tundra 5.7 (just yesterday). Honestly I haven't come across a bad powertrain yet in any of my test drives. They are all fantastic and feel solid/powerful. The truck that has impressed me the most so far was the Lariat EcoBoost. The interior and exterior fit/finish of both the Lariat Fords seemed to be a bit above the others at a comparable price and the EcoBoost engine was amazing. No offense to anyone that owns a Tundra but the styling, interior and exterior, kills it for me, plus the salesman was a moron. At this point I'm still at my original position of choosing one of the Fords, or waiting for the new GM engines, or waiting for the new Ford. I have no doubt any of the trucks I've driven would serve me well for a long time. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of these trucks. As far as price goes, they sure are proud of all of them.

Speaking of the Titan, even though it's a pretty dated design, at least test drive a current one before deciding. The 5.6 is an excellent engine, and the transmission is great. They handle pretty good for their size too.

If I were buying today the F150 EcoBoost would be my choice. (incidentally, where did you read about the "tweaks").

The power hungry can even get the 6.2 in most of the F150 models this year., it is the standard engine in the Super Duty.

I have owned several trucks, both Ford and Chevrolet, and have had equally pleasant experiences with both. The reality is you cannot go wrong with them. Buy whatever meets your needs and is priced the best. I spend all day around all types of new trucks and I have worked at dealers for most of the major makes. They all have service and parts departments and they have various issues inherent to them. None are perfect but all are excellent. You won’t be disappointed in any of them though you may prefer one over the other.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
I have owned several trucks, both Ford and Chevrolet, and have had equally pleasant experiences with both. The reality is you cannot go wrong with them. Buy whatever meets your needs and is priced the best. I spend all day around all types of new trucks and I have worked at dealers for most of the major makes. They all have service and parts departments and they have various issues inherent to them. None are perfect but all are excellent. You won’t be disappointed in any of them though you may prefer one over the other.

This is the most sane post I have read in a long time!

If they actually sold a Cummins I4 in a Titan (or anything else, for that matter) i'd be all over it. I don't think it will make it to the showroom floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back